Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Weed

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Is it easy to over dose on it? Like if you smoke way too much, i'm talking about passed "whitey". If thats possible?
I heard from a friends, there is a chemical in weed that kicks in, which stops overdoses.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Weed isn't harmful like some drugs, but it can do you long lasting damage if you smoke to much... dunno bout OD though.

Never put a bowl on your head when you smoke it though ;) Made my mate flip out.
    Xx
    Impossible to OD ...no deaths in six thousand years of recorded use.
    Excellent book here ...read the chapters in any order that takes your fancy.
    Written in the seventies updated 2007.
    Easy to read on line.
    The guy who wrote it has fought the establishment in America for over thirty years and it is mostly down to this man that cannabis is now available as medicine all over the states with the rest of the world follwing suit.

Read it and you'll never have to ask another question ever again about weed.

In fact ...you'll be a mine of knowledge.

http://www.jackherer.com/chapters.html
    sweet, gonna be referenced in my sociology essay that book :D lol
    Have to write about the lows of society, ie drugs and why they were banned and why the bans continue through to today and the effects on society...i hate this subject so much
    Around a quarter million joints in a day is likely to cause THC crystals to form in your blood, these will clog the blood vessels in your lungs, leading to a fairly unpleasant death.
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Around a quarter million joints in a day is likely to cause THC crystals to form in your blood, these will clog the blood vessels in your lungs, leading to a fairly unpleasant death.

that sounds like a challenge to me :p
    that sounds like a challenge to me :p

Sounds expensive to me
    curly_boy wrote: »
    sweet, gonna be referenced in my sociology essay that book :D lol
    Have to write about the lows of society, ie drugs and why they were banned and why the bans continue through to today and the effects on society...i hate this subject so much

Great ...theres loads in this book about the lies about prohibition.
    Can you kill yourself with it? No.

Can you take too much and feel very ill indeed? Yes, especially if you are unused to it and you smoke a lot or if you eat it.
    After reading that, i wish they'd legalise weed.
    I want to like tell, my story of the past couple of weeks, to show how smoking weed, has improved my life dramatically and i'm thankful for it being there.

Basically, two months ago. My fiancee of three years, left me, because of what i had done. I was left with the guilt, of what i'd done, and the immense pain we all suffer, from the great loss of such heartbreak and a huge change in our lifes afterwards. When this happened, i felt encredibly low about myself. I had many thoughts of suicide, planned it, wrote notes to people, prepared myself for it mentally. Wasn't in a good state really.

A couple of days after, my bestfriend who i call my brother, invited me out for a good night, and we could get some doobies in to chill out with. So that night, we were chilling in his garden, and i, for the first time, got encredibly high. With this experience, it took away all the pain almost straight away, i relieved me from any worry and stress that i had before, and i could think about everything and chill out about everything, like i couldn't before.

I never experienced a come down off weed, but it helped me sleep a treat too, so comming up to the last weeks of school and the stress of exams. It helped me get a good nights rest, and everyday i was going into school happy, chilled out and had a good night. I improved greatly in school, and felt prepared for the exams to come.

At this point, i was smoking enough weed after school everyday, just to get me to that 'happy place' of high, so to speak. I wasn't getting wrecked as such, just enough. So it wasn't expensive, at the most i spent £20 in one week. Everyday i just felt good about myself. Id also cut down on smoking, to one a day on the way to school. From what used to be 20-30 a day.

It was also a very much social thing i did, i went out, got a bit high, met some great people had a great night - but i also hardly ever stayed at home, always camping/party/friends house, because just going home meant i was on my own with my thoughts, and it was never good, made me sad again, and id facebook stalk and stuff. So staying out was good.

Most people, would say id become a 'hardcore' stoner, pot head and stuff. But this is, the part of the story i quite like, in the sense, that i'm not. Id been doing weed for 2 months straight, everyday practically. Untill i quit last week, i felt ready mentally in my head, that i didn't need weed anymore to be happy and my life was generally quite good. Id sorted everything out, prepared for everything. So i thought, well lets kick, the weed and see how things go.

So even after a week or so now. My smoking is still encredibly low, i will give that up soon too, but i don't want to try too much at once. And well, the only noticeable thing, from quitting weed, is my sleep is a little disturbed - whether it's related or not. I don't have cravings as such, and i still don't see it as a cure for my problems. I just think, i tried it and had fun, with such great benifits.

The heartbreak, has almost subsided, and i feel i can move on, and be happy with whomever i choose, if i decide to go that way. I see my life, as more than barely. I'm a happy, confident out going person, and generally feeling quite good about myself. I stay at home a fair amount too these days, and i'm not affraid, or upset by the same things anymore.
    Which is complete contrast to how i felt, two months ago,. Or even before that, when i was with her, i still wasn't completely happy, there was something missing. And i discovered what that was after, she left me.

Which was my friends and family, with my ex. I completely disowned most people apart from skating. And didn't really have much to do with them. But i felt, somewhat compelled, to go out and find my friends again, reconcile with the people id pushed away, and be more part of my family, which i acheived and am feeling great.

I do, think weed was the main reason, for the successs i had, with moving on from the problems, i had. I hope this kinda makes sense, on how weed changed everything for me for the good, and how i don't have to rely on it in the future, or keep using it.

Thanks for the long read btw.
    Weed isn't harmful like some drugs.
    No totally wrong. It can cause serious mental health problems such as psychosis. Also the smoke from Cannabis is more dangerous than tobacco smoke, increasing the risk of mouth, throat and lung cancer.

It is true that it is not addictive like many other drugs but it is still a major health hazard.
    the thing i often wonder about "smoking weed gives you mental health problems blah blah blah"... is that does it really? or is it just that a lot of people who smoke weed already have these problems and that is why they find weed helps? if that makes sense.
    Weed isn't harmful like some drugs, but it can do you long lasting damage if you smoke to much... dunno bout OD though.
    Goldsword wrote: »
    No totally wrong. It can cause serious mental health problems such as psychosis. Also the smoke from Cannabis is more dangerous than tobacco smoke, increasing the risk of mouth, throat and lung cancer.

It is true that it is not addictive like many other drugs but it is still a major health hazard.

It's more or less what B-A said. So 'totally wrong'? I don't think so.
    the thing i often wonder about "smoking weed gives you mental health problems blah blah blah"... is that does it really? or is it just that a lot of people who smoke weed already have these problems and that is why they find weed helps? if that makes sense.

I tend to agree. If you have a propensity to psychological problems, then weed won't be good. I know people that have smoked it every day for years and seem perfectly normal.
    Teagan wrote: »
    I tend to agree. If you have a propensity to psychological problems, then weed won't be good. I know people that have smoked it every day for years and seem perfectly normal.

Agree'd although it does give paranoia :)
    You cannot overdose on weed. Can we condone drugs on this forum? I smoke everyday
    Agree'd although it does give paranoia :)

But is that paranoia transient? Does it go when you have stopped smoking it? I used to get a bit paranoid at first but because I recognise it as a side effect, I just push it out of my head as being irrational when I'm smoking weed these days. I certainly don't get paranoid when I'm off the stuff. :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    'Weed isnt harmful' is totally wrong.

'Weed isn't harmful like some drugs' is correct - some are safer some are more dangerous. It depends on what you consider harmful

No doubt in my mind that weed can have a serious negative effect on mental health. Experienced it and seen it many times in a lot of people.
    Weekender Offender 

And I've taken ecstasy thousands of times without any neagtive effect on my life. Doesn't mean it's not harmful. Alot of people drink alcohol without any problems but there is no doubt that it's one of the most damaging drugs to society.

Whether weed actaully casuses people to have mental health problems or just brings out underlying problems is pretty much irrelavant. It can and has been shown to have a detrimental effect to mental health.

You assertion that paranoia is a side effect would suggest that you think it actaully causes paranoia.
    Weekender Offender 
    I think the biggest problem with weed is not the physical effects, which can be equated to those of smoking tobacco, but the intangible effects on your lifestyle. I have a great friend whose older sister has smoked weed on a regular basis since her 20's. To meet her, you would probably think she was pretty cool for someone pushing 60 ... until you look at her life. As a relatively talented artist, she has absolutely nothing to show for it. Her mum, sister and sons support her financially. Though, oddly enough, however hard up she might be, she always has cash for a splif.

I'm not saying that everyone who smokes weed will end up like this. I didn't. But there is a danger of losing touch with reality and responsibility with heavy long-term use.
    Conventional wisdom holds that there have been no overdoses on THC. I personally have had two or three experiences with smoking enough in one evening to start having the symptoms of a high fever and eventually throwing up.

There can be some definite negative psychological effects from consistently smoking. But all things in moderation, etc.
    Skive wrote: »
    And I've taken ecstasy thousands of times without any neagtive effect on my life. Doesn't mean it's not harmful. Alot of people drink alcohol without any problems but there is no doubt that it's one of the most damaging drugs to society.

Whether weed actaully casuses people to have mental health problems or just brings out underlying problems is pretty much irrelavant. It can and has been shown to have a detrimental effect to mental health.

You assertion that paranoia is a side effect would suggest that you think it actaully causes paranoia.

I never said it wasn't harmful or that it won't have a negative effect on some peoples' lives.

Which phrase did I use that makes it seem like it 'actually causes paranoia'?

I'm not sure what you are going with this.
    By the way it is illegal to grow, posses, sell or use weed. Many people overlook that fact.
    Which phrase did I use that makes it seem like it 'actually causes paranoia'?

You said you recognise paranoia as an effect of using weed.
    Weekender Offender 
    Skive wrote: »
    You said you recognise paranoia as an effect of using weed.

I said a side-effect. Anyway, I actually totally agree with you but I obviously didn't make myself clear enough. :)
    thats really good that youve managed to use it therapeutically and its helped you through a tough time, and now youre able to come off it.

Well done.
    Goldsword wrote: »

No it isn't a major health hazaed.
    No it the smoke isn't more dangerous than baccy.
    All the research shows that cannabis is a lung cleaner.
    If you can't quit the fags ...add some weed you'll live five years longer.
    Read the boojk I linked to in this thread.
    No it isn't a major health hazaed.
    No it the smoke isn't more dangerous than baccy.
    All the research shows that cannabis is a lung cleaner.
    If you can't quit the fags ...add some weed you'll live five years longer.
    Read the boojk I linked to in this thread.

I've had a look and it appears that there have been a few studies on tobacco vs cannabis, from 2002 and 2007. The second one has a bit of information about how the research was carried out and does mention how the causes of the link aren't necessarily clear. But says this:
    The researchers concluded that smoking cannabis was linked to the impairment of large airways function, leading to airflow obstruction and hyperinflation, but there was no link to obvious signs of emphysema

Another bit I found interesting from the BBC article on the British Lung Foundation's report:
    The British Lung Foundation report also shows that the health dangers of cannabis have substantially increased since the 1960s.

That means that clinical studies carried out in the sixties and seventies may well underestimate the ill effects of smoking the drug.

Ok so none of this is definitive (although if someone could point me in the direction of some research saying the opposite i'd be quite interested to see it) but I think its important not to go around stating things as fact.
    if weed were legal, i for one would not smoke cigarettes, i would eat weed , american spirit blend tobacco is apparently a lot les harmfull. however the lungs and body just arent made for hot any gasses like smoke.