Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CT Scan

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone had one and what was it like ?

Is it where you lie flat on a table and it slowly moves you through a giant Polo ? :)

Comments

• Options
    I got told it was more like a washing machine.

I've had one yes; but that was 14 years ago.
  • Options
    I've had a fair few over the last few years. Yes, it's the one like the giant polo! It's not all enclosed like an MRI machine, so you shouldn't feel claustrophobic.

Are you having the contrast injected, or just a straight CT? If it's just a normal one, it's as easy as lying on the table and trying not to move :)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    Are you having the contrast injected, or just a straight CT?

Don't know yet :) I've started going back to hospital due to the hiv, and apparently im getting dangerously anaemic but my iron levels kidney/liver function are fine so it's exploratory.
  • Options
    If it's exploratory they'll probs do a few normal scans first, and if they see anything interesting that they want a better look at, they'll whack in the contrast.

That's no biggie, though, either, if you're ok with needles. The dye makes you feel a little like you've peed yourself, but otherwise just more lying on a table trying not to move! :)
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    if you're ok with needles.

I have to be :) First time i went back, you know those little vials they use (which actually contain only about a teaspoon) did 39 ! THEN she says 'Oh you need a TB culture one too, just fill this and you're done' and brings out a vial the size of a bloody milk bottle !! :D

Thanks for the info peeps.
  • Options
    Hope it goes ok, Rubber.
  • Options
    I had one done on my head when i got kicked in the face. Found it fine and i usually hate enclosed spaces and stuff but like Kaff said it's not fully enclosed so it's easier.