Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Labour Leadership Contest

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, the brother Ed and David have both already public stating their candidacy for the Labour Leader post.

How long do you think that the third, lesser know political brother Glenn announces? We haven't heard from him in quite a while...

Comments

• Options
    MoK wrote: »
    So, the brother Ed and David have both already public stating their candidacy for the Labour Leader post.

How long do you think that the third, lesser know political brother Glenn announces? We haven't heard from him in quite a while...

Groan :D
  • Options
    Obviously not one for the kids...
  • Options
    Let them fight over the carcass of Labour. With any luck, it'll be some time before we hear from that lot again.
  • Options
    I'm of the Obnoxio school of thought on this one. He says on his blog...

"The Labour Party is so desperate for members that it is offering the first year of Labour Party membership for just £1. In exchange for that £1, you get all the perks of Labour membership, such as voting for the leadership. And that means that for just £1, you can help to inflict someone as useless as Diane Abbott or as poisonous and divisive as Ed Balls or Harriet Harman on the Labour Party. And immediately after the coronation of whichever cunt you helped elect, you simply resign and walk away."

The only question is which of the useless cunts to vote for.
  • Options
    I'm a bit concerned they didn't get enough of a whupping to realise the extent they'll need to change in order to regain support.
  • Options
    stargalaxy wrote: »

"The Labour Party is so desperate for members that it is offering the first year of Labour Party membership for just £1. In exchange for that £1, you get all the perks of Labour membership, such as voting for the leadership. And that means that for just £1, you can help to inflict someone as useless as Diane Abbott or as poisonous and divisive as Ed Balls or Harriet Harman on the Labour Party. And immediately after the coronation of whichever cunt you helped elect, you simply resign and walk away."

How much is normal membership?
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »

:D
  • Options

Just think how ouraged you would be if you bought labour membership SG, even if it was just for a £1.

Thats like 50 2p coins I could be putting into an arcade machine on holiday!
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    Thats like 50 2p coins I could be putting into an arcade machine on holiday!
    You can piss away as much money in an arcade as you want - but seeing I'm not working there anymore, I wouldn't be able to help you if you had a problem. :p

Diane Abbott has revealed that she is now standing. She's a hypocrite of the worst order, having sent her child to a fee-paying school whilst condemning them throughout her career. She's perfect for the job.

And just the kind of useless fuckwit that would sink Labour forever. If Abbott doesn't get it, I now sincerely hope Ed Balls does. That should definitely see the party finally disappear up its own arse. Bastards.
  • Options
    You can piss away as much money in an arcade as you want - but seeing I'm not working there anymore, I wouldn't be able to help you if you had a problem. :p

Diane Abbott has revealed that she is now standing. She's a hypocrite of the worst order, having sent her child to a fee-paying school whilst condemning them throughout her career. She's perfect for the job.

And just the kind of useless fuckwit that would sink Labour forever. If Abbott doesn't get it, I now sincerely hope Ed Balls does. That should definitely see the party finally disappear up its own arse. Bastards.

Yeah. Wouldn't it be nice if the Labour party was eradicated from the face of the Earth. Because, apart from the National Health Service, education, minimum wage, housing, social care and welfare rights for everyone, WHAT HAS THE LABOUR PARTY EVERY DONE FOR US?????

romans_done_for_us.jpg

Do you look for Labour manifestos under your bed before you go to sleep, Stargalaxy?

Christ... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Good to see Diane Abbott standing. They needed a comedy candidate.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Yeah. Wouldn't it be nice if the Labour party was eradicated from the face of the Earth. Because, apart from the National Health Service, education, minimum wage, housing, social care and welfare rights for everyone, WHAT HAS THE LABOUR PARTY EVERY DONE FOR US?
    Absolutely correct. Labour have also given us...

- The largest national debt in history at peace-time.
    - Record levels of immigrants deliberately being allowed into the country.
    - An illiberal smoking ban.
    - Got us stuck into the Iraq and Afghanistan conflicts.
    - One new crime created daily, over 4,300 in 13 years.
    - MPs allowed to get away with blatant fraud on their expenses.
    - A culture of lies and spin created.
    - A country with over 4 million CCTV cameras.
    - The grossly illiberal Section 44 of the Terrorism Act.
    - The closure of thousands of post offices.
    - Bringing in the useless Human Rights Act.
    - Allowing a minority of Scots to dictate to everyone in the rest of the UK.
    - Allowing women to get jobs ahead of men instead of on merit.
    - The creation of a benefit state of Labour voters.
    - Government figures routinely fiddled.
    - A sell-out on the Lisbon Treaty/Constitution.
    - The death of Dr David Kelly.
    - Creating the libel capital of the world.
    - The gap between the rich and poor has rocketed.
    - Wasting money on useless projects like IT systems for the NHS.
    - The theft of billions of pounds following McBroon's fiddling of the pensions system.
    - Election boundaries rigged in Labour's favour.

I could go on...
  • Options
    SG you are pretty much on a comedy par with Ms Abbott. You know how many of those could also have been applied to the Tories?
  • Options

- The theft of billions of pounds following McBroon's fiddling of the pensions system.

I could go on...

There was plenty enough MP's from all over the various parties, they should have had the moral integrity to do the right thing, not expect labour to have to do it for them. (expenses)

What the official verdict on David Kellys death? I do think it was a bit of a white wash, but you cant go around saying things like that SG, you might get locked up, or be on the receiving end of a good spanking :)

You cant say that its only ever the labour party who have muddled and toyed with figures, and I doubt they were the only party to ever have such fun with spin.

Why is it labour parties fault that businsess might want to have CCTV to protect assets. End of the day if the government really wanted to follow you around everywhere, ie if you were THAT important to them, they could do it without CCTV anyway.

Iraq is a deffo crock of shit, I will give you that, but Id blame Afghanistan on the United Nations and NATO tbh.

Allowing the minority of scots etc? Did you not get the history lesson in braveheart? Maybe they were due some payback. The same with women getting jobs ahead of men, hell its only been comparatively recently they have had they vote, about time we gave them a bit of slack as well.

As for the terrorism acts and various appendecis, Id say (whilst maybe not ending up as bad) the conservatives would have ended up doing something similar.

Im not a smoker so I couldnt give a toss either way on that one.

As for the immigrants, Im sort of with you on this one, but I think its the allowing them to stay that is the problem, I dont think they actually let all of them enter the country, hence why they are illegal immigrants?

Yeah the country is in a state, but I sometimes think that the problems that SG (and others in the world) have/has, tend to manifest themselves into anger and aggression at the government, while they could be blamed for not doing enough, there are a number of cases where they are at least doing something.

Those people that also expect world peace, and everything to be perfect, also need to be educated in the way the world works.

ps this is not a post aimed at defending labours records.
  • Options
    MrG wrote: »
    What the official verdict on David Kellys death? I do think it was a bit of a white wash, but you cant go around saying things like that SG, you might get locked up, or be on the receiving end of a good spanking :)
    I consider the Labour government responsible for his death. What is so controversial about that statement? I think the way the media were effectively made to play a game of 20 Questions was despicable. I think Kelly's treatment in front of that select committee was deplorable - especially the way that Andrew MacKinlay spoke to him. And I wouldn't be the first to suggest he may not have committed suicide...
    Yeah the country is in a state, but I sometimes think that the problems that SG have/has, tend to manifest themselves into anger and aggression at the government, while they could be blamed for not doing enough, there are a number of cases where they are at least doing something.
    Give over. I think the government usually does far too much and it would often be to their credit if they did less and kept out of our lives more often.
  • Options

I could go on...
    Regardless of the fact that at least half (if not the majority) of the points above are utter bullshit, I put it to you that there have been plenty of Conservative governments in the last half century that have been as bad, if not fucking worse. Indeed, the corruption, sleaze and fucking uselessness of the last Tory government makes Brown looks like best PM this country ever had.

So can we look forward to you advocating for the destruction of the Conservative party as well?

Like fuck we can.

I wonder why.
  • Options
    So can we look forward to you advocating for the destruction of the Conservative party as well?
    You mean a la Peter Hitchens? I have a lot of sympathy for his viewpoint - the destruction of the Tory Party is something that wouldn't bother me.

What a shame that much else of what he writes in his Sunday column is utter shite.
  • Options
    apart from the National Health Service, education, minimum wage, housing, social care and welfare rights for everyone, WHAT HAS THE LABOUR PARTY EVERY DONE FOR US???

They also introduced Civil Partnerships, a big achievement if you ask me!
  • Options
    I like Diane Abbott.
  • Options
    I think what Labour has done is worse than what the Conservatives would have done, because you don't expect any better from the Conservatives. You know they're going to look after the rich at the expense of the poor, so if their elected then that's clearly what the majority want them to do. You don't expect Labour to look after the rich at the expense of the poor, but that's what they began to do after they were elected.
    I might be being stupidly optimistic, but I would want the elected government to do a good job, not a slightly better job than the other side would probably do. All I heard Labour do over their last few months is say that the Conservatives would have been worse. I'm aware that the conservatives were equally childish, but they weren't running the country, so it didn't matter that they were more interested in other people doing things wrong than themselves doing things right.
    I remember funding for my autistic brother being an issue when I was younger, when the conservatives were in power, but every year since Labour were elected it was cut by a third. I didn't mind too much when the conservatives were in power, because cutting funding is what they do. What really annoyed me every time my brother lost any services he'd had for the year was the government talking about fairness. I think it's completely ok if you don't care about others, as long as you admit it.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    I like Diane Abbott.

Her mannerisms really get on my tits.

As for the leadership? Apart from Tony Benn (best primeminster we never had) have never liked any labour politician so I really couldn't give shit.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    David Milliband and Ed will retain the New Labour ethos. Any move to Old Labour politics would be political suicide for them.

I think a couple of terms out of office would be good for Labour. They need time to re-group and re-market themselves, and come back and challenge Cameron and his coalition.

My choice for leader would be David Milliband. He has the front-line experience to be leader now.