Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Results

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum recently went to Mombasa and whilst there she kept getting the runs, so did the rest of the group of tourists, and it continued after she got back as well for about 10 days. She also felt really ill on the first couple of days that she got home.

She contacted the NHS Helpline who said she needed to provide a poo sample to her GP for them to run some tests, and in the mean time she was not to go to work (she works with the public), wasn't to prepare food for anyone, had to stay away from old people and had to eat only certain foods like dry foods, no fruit or veg or salad or dairy products or anything like that.

She provided the sample then afew days later she started to eat normally again as she still felt no better and felt that the lack of nutrients wasn't helping and she was bored and hungry not being at work. She has since started to feel better and although she still has afew toilet problems it's not so bad and she feels better in herself and wants to go back to work.

She phoned the docs today to see if her results were in and the receptionist said they are there but she was not able to give her the results as a doctor needed to. Now I'm really worried there is something seriously wrong as I've never known this before, the receptionist usually gives the results out over the phone! The doctor was in a meeting and will phone mum tomorrow. Anybody think I'm reading into it too much or does it suggest something bad?

Comments

• Options
    i wouldnt be too worried as i dont even know if receptionists are allowed to give details out over the phone anymore, it seems to depend on the surgery/receptionist! i made a similiar thread here:

http://vbulletin.thesite.org/showthread.php?t=127799

when i wanted the results of a blood test they used to just say it over the phone, but they said a doctor wanted to see me which i got really worried over and in the end it was just that i was a tiny bit anaemic! nothing serious at all.
  • Options
    yeh, i've had the experience that the receptionist only tells you if the results are all normal and there is nothing else to be discussed, but your mum might have something like an infection, the doc might want her on medication to make sure the issue clears up completely, but i don't think it's a reason to worry.
  • Options
    Our local receptionists are not allowed to give test results at all. We have to either speak to a Nurse Practitioner (within a very narrow, and inevitably inconvenient, time window) or make an appointment to see the doc. No need to worry unduly.
  • Options
    I text mum to ask if she had her results and she said that they came back all clear- abit dubious though as after promising she would let me know as soon as she heard anything, I had to text her at 4pm to find out and got no 'sorry I forgot to let you know' or anything. :chin: Hopefully just me reading too much into things!