Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Problems with an old employer

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right so as i've mentioned before, i got "let go" by my last employer and they said that was because they had too many staff, so they were going to need to let me go, which seemed fair enough i was one of the more recent people to start. However recently (within about 2/3 weeks) they were already readvertising to fill the hours i used to work.

I dont really know what happened, i didn't do anything wrong that i know of, I was on time, i was well presented, i did what was asked of me, so i dont know why they a) got rid of me and b) lied to me about why. Also its kinda knocked my confidence about my ability to perform well, kinda leading to me getting a bit flustered on my first day at a new job today.

2 questions really, what should i do about the employer, is there anything i can do, cause it doesn't feel right and its still annoying me even now and how can i rebuild my confidence, cause before whatever happened happened, i was really good with customers, but now i feel like i've lost a bit of that.

Any help will be much appreciated guys :D

Comments

• Options
    I'd try not to worry - if you had done something really wrong I'm sure they would have told you so and not just said they had too many people as the reason to let you go.

I guess there's no harm in asking them though if it's really bothering you - is there anyone you could email and ask?

I really would try not to let it get to you - you've got a new job and the people there obviously think your capable, so just try and concentrate on that instead.
  • Options
    If theres no disciplinary record about why you left etc, then you are not going to get a bad reference or anything. If there was (which they probly wasnt) any reason why they did let you go, think yourself lucky in a way. Theres no slur on your character, and looking back, you probly wouldnt want to be working for them with their attitude anyway.
  • Options
    Right so as i've mentioned before, i got "let go" by my last employer and they said that was because they had too many staff, so they were going to need to let me go, which seemed fair enough i was one of the more recent people to start. However recently (within about 2/3 weeks) they were already readvertising to fill the hours i used to work.

You don't mention the length of time you've worked for them. Under a year there are incomplete employment protection by law and less than 3 months the contract means they can let go of a person by right of probationary period. If your length of service is indeed less than one year, its best to move on and forget- getting into any argument is likely to lead to a bad note on a reference for future jobs
  • Options
    it was like a month, its just annoying cause its completely fucked my confidence at my new job, and im constantly worrying even though the managers not said anything, that im basically on my way out, which makes me flustered and shit at my new job
  • Options
    Olly_BOlly_B Posts: 222 Trailblazer
    it was like a month, its just annoying cause its completely fucked my confidence at my new job, and im constantly worrying even though the managers not said anything, that im basically on my way out, which makes me flustered and shit at my new job

Hi,

It might be worth chatting to someone at your new work - either your boss or someone in the HR department. Explain as you did above, that you were let go on good terms because there wasn't the work for you to do, and then you noticed that they were readvertising your job and that it has shaken you a little.

It's not a bad thing to admit you are nervous when you start a new job, and hopefully your boss can reassure you there is nothing to be worried about in this job.

Olly