Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sun Burn

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Me being my stupid self decided to make the most of the fab weather today and yesterday with the bare minimum of sunscreen on. I'm fair haired and roast pretty easily.

Needless to say I burnt raw at the moment nearly all over (even my fingers):impissed: . But I'm starting to feel a bit ill and developing a splitting headache all of a sudden. Could it be related to the sun burn or am I just coming down with something.

Any tips besides moisturiser to ease the sun burn would be great too.:thumb:

Thanks

*Rhia**hug*

Comments

• Options
    Yes, it is probably related to the sun, and not in a "and so you don't need to worry about it" kind of way.

I suggest a cold bath, and drink plenty of water, but seeking medical advice would probably be a better move.
  • Options
    Thanks. With the usually crappy weather we have I'm just not cut out for the sun.
  • Options
    yeah, i would say its related to the sun burn. My brother was out all day Saturday and today he has been feeling dizzy and really sick.

Apparently taking a bath in milk works :p *cough*i may of got that from Hannah Montana*cough*
  • Options

Apparently taking a bath in milk works :p *cough*i may of got that from Hannah Montana*cough*

:D I cant complain if it works but I think I'll give it a miss,lol

But a cool bath does sound nice.:thumb:
  • Options
    geneve wrote: »
    Hopefully you've learnt your lesson from it because it's a common thing.

Oh definitely. I'm never going anywhere ever again without a bottle of factor 50 sunscreen in my handbag.
  • Options
    *Rhia* wrote: »
    Oh definitely. I'm never going anywhere ever again without a bottle of factor 50 sunscreen in my handbag.

:lol: i so learnt this lesson a few years ago. I burn so easily! Kinda sucks
  • Options
    I've never had the chance. The weather is usually miserable or I'm too busy doing something to enjoy it. Its the first time I've gotten burnt in years (and hopefully the last for another couple of years) :) Talk about putting a downer on a fab day!!
  • Options
    the sun gives me a headache, but then, what freakin' doesn't?
  • Options
    Aloe Vera cream is fantastic for sunburn, as is, oddly, plain yoghurt with live cultures. Apply the youghurt, let it sit for a few mintues, and rinse off. The milk thing is actually true, although I'd suggest adding a few cupfuls of milk to a cool bath, and a couple of handfuls of oatmeal will also help to soften and soothe your skin (don't rub it on yourself, obviously, just let it sit in the water).

The nausea and headache are symptoms of sunstroke. This IS serious, although many people don't see it as a big deal. If it doesn't go away within a few hours, then see your GP. Drink lots and lots and lots of water and stay well out of the sun for at least a few days, if not a week.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. The cool bath really helped. Feeling much better today. I dont think I'm ever going out in again :) Thank butterflykisses for the aloe vera suggestion. That stuff does wonders :)
  • Options
    It was most likely a touch of heatstroke and cooling your body temperature averted the worst of it. Consider it a lesson learned :razz: lol

If you are going to be out in the sun for long periods it's always advisable to wear a hat, that at least keeps direct sunlight from your head and reduces the chance of heatstroke. But yes, suncream really is kind of a good idea :P lol
  • Options
    super147 wrote: »

If you are going to be out in the sun for long periods it's always advisable to wear a hat, that at least keeps direct sunlight from your head and reduces the chance of heatstroke. But yes, suncream really is kind of a good idea :P lol

Oh believe me lesson learned. At least todays a bit cooler so I dont feel so bad about staying inside:D
  • Options
    Oh believe me lesson learned. At least todays a bit cooler so I dont feel so bad about staying inside:D

Lol, no cooler here, it's insane :| I'm stuck at work so I get to watch it out of the window and sigh :banghead: hehe
  • Options
    We have some lovely clouds shere and a fresh breeze. Though I'm wary of windburn as well now. Lol, I'm going to be sooooo paranoid about the whole thing now. :)
  • Options
    We have some lovely clouds shere and a fresh breeze. Though I'm wary of windburn as well now. Lol, I'm going to be sooooo paranoid about the whole thing now. :)

Haha, you'll never go out again! :crazyeyes You'll end up like a paranoid, trembling milk bottle! :razz:

Just rememer to use sun cream on very hot days, and wear a hat. Simple ;)

And if all else fails get one of those huge bubble things! :cool:
  • Options
    Ah yeah, at least I didn't go for the baby oil to put on. I know a couple who did thaT. lol at least I'm not that silly.

But one of those bubble things sounds deadly :D