Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

heart palpatations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i always get them, i get them at least once a day...i have had test but they have all come back negative, but tonight i have been having them every 5 mins and i have been timing them. So i dont know what to do...i dont know if i should go to the hospital or ring NHS direct, i mean my chest feels tight but i am not breathless and there is a slight discomfort of pain nothing major but i dunno what i should do..anyone any ideas?? x

Comments

• Options
    If the tests have come back negative then it might be anxiety related. I've had really bad palpatations whilst not feeling 'mentally' anxious, but my doc said it was a sign of anxiety. My doc did prescribe me with beta blockers... but alas they didn't work for me. Have you been to see the doc?
  • Options
    If there's pain, be it only mild, then i'd ring NHS direct.

3 quickest ways to get an abulance

Loss of blood.

Unconciousness.

Chest pain.

My consultant told me that :)
  • Options
    well i didnt go to the hospital and i am ok this morning =] but if it happens tonight or today i will go to a walk in centre or hospital or something =]...thank you for your adivce =]
  • Options
    I get the odd palpitation and a few years ago I had an attack that was near constant. When I went to the doctor about it, she said there was very little they could do unless I was on a monitor when I was having them, so if having an attack go to a&e. I never did get another constant attack like that. I don't know if that helps at all.
  • Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I regularly get heart palpitations and so far nothing bad has ever happened *touches wood*

The last time it happened badly was about a year ago, I was at a BBQ with loads of people from work and it was a really hot day and I was sat in the sun drinking cider (not a drink I usually go for). They were happening continuously for about half an hour, in the end I went inside and sat down with some water- I felt a little giddy and people were getting worried but then they stopped. Perhaps it could be an anxiety thing- had never thought of that.

I am a great believer in phoning the NHS Direct Helpline if I'm concerned about anything- I use them alot (they prob think I'm a hypochondriac) but it puts my mind at rest to know I've spoken to a doctor/nurse, and they do usually give out some useful advice. This is prob the best option if you are concerned since you've had tests done and they came back negative. Or see your GP for an explanation on what sort of things can cause them and see if there is anything you can do?
  • Options
    thank you for your comments..well today so far has been fine will have to see how i feel tonight and if it happens again i am going to ring NHS direct.

I think its a good think to have the NHS direct as if u feel its not too seriouse to go to the hospital but you are concerned then its good u can ring a nurse and get advice =]
  • Options
    Yea, i have to say for me, NHS Direct has been fantastic, they really calm you down when you are in a 'arrgg...is this serious or not?..panic!' kinda mood. My palpitations lasted for 2 weeks, constantly, and went away when i upped my antidepressant. I guess i'll never know what caused them, but for me it might have been meds withdrawal/anxiety i didn't know about consciously.