Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Asking for summer off...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
For those that haven't seen my other thread in travel...I'm thinking of spending 8 weeks or so living in america with family as an all expenses paid working holiday. Now, I've got a job back here at a supermarket (which I don't really like) working 12 hours a week (though currently its only 7 because of my massive workload over the last term). When I spoke to my boss about a month ago when I asked to reduce my hours temporarily he basically had ago at me, called me lazy and accused me of not doing my uni work(!). He let me cut my hours down but he wasn't happy with me. Now I'm probably going to be asking to take summer off (unpaid obviously) because I want to go to america and then shortly after im going to africa. There's other uni students there who don't work during term time so they do let people go off places. But since this is summer and pretty much for leisure I was wondering how to go about asking? Am I being cheeky? Would he be allowed to sack me? If he says no I'd seriously think about handing my notice in because I don't really like it there...but it's nice to have the money. What shall I do??

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    geneve wrote: »
    They're under no obligation to give it you; it is a bit cheeky but there's no harm is asking. I think talk to your line manager informally about it and take it from there. If it's a no, then sounds like you're happy to quit anyway. You might be able to get a better job on your return anyway.

Yeah I know they don't have to give it to me, but I can only try. It'll give me a reason to quit anyway and I'll probably be able to find something more laid back and flexible to see me through my last year when I get back anyway. I've always felt a bit tied down by this job so I won't be too sad to quit. I'll speak to my line manager tomorrow and see what they think.
    i'll cover u temporarily i cant find a job anywhere and want one so bad for the summer lol
    what supermarket is it? i work at asda and about 4 times now iv gone away for the whole summer they're really flexible i also had a month off in jan to go to new zealand, i just write them a letter saying id like to take unpaid leave from whatever date to this date and they always let me have it :]
    Yeh i use to work for waitrose and they were fine if i asked for unpaid holiday, especially as in summer normally loads of people are free more to cover shifs, like the school kids and stuff
    It's the co-op, I think it's down to my boss and he's not the most flexible of people. I'll check with my supervisor tomorrow if it can go through other people rather than him directly cause I know he'll probably say no.
    most places are pretty good about that sort of thing - lots of students go home for the summer, xmas, easter etc so don't work during the hols. he shouldnt be able to find someone to cover you during the summer. you'd think so anyway!
    where is it? if its near me i will seriously cover u lol is it in surrey? im desperate for a job you dont even know lol
    playdead wrote: »
    where is it? if its near me i will seriously cover u lol is it in surrey? im desperate for a job you dont even know lol

no sorry