Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Film to show to class..

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok so I want to show my ESL class a film but am not sure what they could watch...They are 14-16....Any ideas?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I can think of loads... But, why are you showing them a film, is it supposed to show them colloquial English, English culture, or just anything? Do you want it to be British?
    Just don't show Disney :yuck: hahaha
    Xx
    Im showing them it so they can hear the language and be entertained...I was thinking of Kung Fu Panda it has simple english and uses a lot of chinese vocab such as the food...I will have questions prepared so they will have to listen carefully and not just think they are having an easy class!
    Kung Fu Panda is brilliant but, I don't remember what the English was like, wasn't it American English?

Would it not be more useful to have something with lips in it too, so not animation? IDK

KFP was a lovely movie though.
    Harry Potter?

Depends what level they're at too.

Oh, brainwave: Wallace and Gromit. The dialogue is generally pretty slow-paced, and you could show the whole film and still talk about it in one lesson, if you pick one of the shorter ones.
    katralla wrote: »
    I would be tempted to show them The Lonliness of the Long Distance Runner

Great choice, the ending is still one of my favourite moments in cinema.

For something a little more light-hearted but still set in a more real England, how about The Full Monty?
    Nil by Mouth
    Does it have to be a feature-length film, or would a TV series do? Are your ESL students all from the same country? (I'm Celta-qualified myself, and was wondering about opportunities for ESL teachers in Eire - Co.Clare, particularly)

During my training, I did sit through an excrutiatingly embarrassing "observation" session with a guy who showed an episode of "The Worst Week of My Life" to a very mixed group of intermediate students from very different backgrounds. On the back of that, I would say avoid comedies that rely on toilet-humour and inuendo. Your students need to hear English as it is really spoken, but whatever you show has to have a really obvious story-line so that they have a clear context for the language.