Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Fucking HSBC

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Leigh tried to use his HSBC visa card to pay for hit sub to Norton last night. Tried it 3 times to no avail and of course the system blocks your card.

He phones the bank up and once again 'we've canceled your card because we believe it could of been recently compromised' for the 3rd time this year.

Now while that's all fine and dandy and he hasn't lost any money, they won't fucking tell him at what outlet it could of been compromised at so he can stop going there.

Twats

Comments

• **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    :wave: has this been sorted RubberSkin?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Leigh tried to use his HSBC visa card to pay for hit sub to Norton last night.

Pay for what???

I like HSBC, they have always been pretty good and keeping me updated and reinstating my card if its a false alarm.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Pay for what???

I like HSBC, they have always been pretty good and keeping me updated and reinstating my card if its a false alarm.

his subway train I guess.

Most of the banks are broadly the same for customer service etc. so it's just one of those things :/
    his sub(scription)
    **helen** wrote: »
    :wave: has this been sorted RubberSkin?

Nope. They won't tell him where his card has been 'compromised'.

It's pretty obvious it's either a. the same place or b. someone's selling CC info. It happened 7 times last year too.
    geneve wrote: »
    Why don't you just get a new one and cancel that one then?

If its a shop or somewhere that the card is often used, that has a skimming devic, then the new card will just be compromised anyway.
    MrG wrote: »
    If that has a skimming devic

This is what i think. I think it's on the 'Pay at pump' at our local petrol station.
    When you pass your driving test there are a number of things that can go wrong.

(1) You dont pull up far enough towards the pump, and have to get back in and move the car slightly.

(2) After moving the car, you realise the fuel cap is on the other side of the car.

(3) After finally getting the car in place, theres that nervous wait whilst you stare at the pump and wait for it to work (oh you are waiting for someone inside to authorise it)

(4) You look frantically for the pump number.

With all of that going on with me, I feel the need to point out that since there is someone there who will sell me sweets and chocolate, I might as well go in and have them hold my hand incase I have done anything wrong. Pay at pump would probly help me out with number 4 in my list above, but usually I tend to like dealing with a person face to face.

I digress, but I dont like using self service checkouts either at Tescos.

(1) I can never get the items to scan.

(2) I can never get the bags open to put stuff in.

(3) When I do get a bag open Im told to remove the unexpected item (the carrier bag)

(4) The machine has to wait for someone to come and release the uber mega cd/dvd/alcohol I have just bought, from its sealed box or security tag, and check my ID.

Self service in this case causes me more problems.

So all in all, what I think im trying to get at is, go inside the petrol station :)

ps diesel cars = win
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Nope. They won't tell him where his card has been 'compromised'.

It's pretty obvious it's either a. the same place or b. someone's selling CC info. It happened 7 times last year too.

Does he subscribe to any websites? ClickandBuy seem to be a bit of a red flag to VISA
    Hi there RubberSkin,

Has this been sorted yet?

It's great that your're seeking advice on behalf of your friend, who is probably feeling frustrated and annoyed right now due to the problems with his bank.

If you friend hasn't already done so, you might like to direct them to somewhere they can obtain independent advice on this situation.

The Money Made Clear website from the Financial Services Authority, might be a good place to start.
    You can also call them on 0300 500 5000 between 8am and 8pm Monday to Friday (except bank holidays).

Your friend could even try writing to the Financial Ombudsman. Their website also includes useful information about how to complain to a bank and what to do if they don't act on your complaint.
    They also have a consumer helpline which might be useful; 0300 123 9 123. (8am to 6pm, Monday to Friday)

Both of the above offer a call back service; see their website for more details.
    I used to have a HSBC credit card. Getting soemthing sorted on the phone is murder - call centres in India trying to resolve your problem :(
    Thanks little, but he's already been through the ombudsman last year and he decided/said they're (the bank) are within their rights not to tell him where it's happened. Wanker.
    If you can may I suggest you move to First Direct rather than the normal HSBC. They are the same bank but in terms of customer service they couldn't be more different. Its unusal for me to wait more than 2 rings before they pick it up whenever I phone for example.

As for credit cards and fraud, I've found Capital One quite good, when they have had suspicious transactions they've phoned me before letting it through. And if I say its dodgy (happened twice) they have cancelled then sent me a new card quickly.