Home General Chat Creative Corner
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Shaky camera

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Wikipedia wrote:
Shaky camera is a cinematographic technique where stable image techniques are dispensed with on purpose. The camera is handheld, or given the appearance of being handheld, and shots are limited to what one photographer could have accomplished with one camera. Shaky cam gives a film sequence an ad-hoc, electronic news-gathering, or documentary film feel. It suggests unprepared, unrehearsed filming of reality, and can provide a sense of dynamics, immersion, instability or nervousness.

What do you think of the use of shaky camera technique in TV and film? I've seen it used a lot in programs like 24 and Battlestar Gallactica. Sometimes I think it adds tension to a scene, but others I think it's unnecessary and distracting.

Comments

• Options
    It's like any technique really. Has its place but needs to be used in moderation. A bit like 3D for example. Just because 1 film is ok in 3D doesn't mean we want to see everything like that.
  • Options
    i love it, but in some places its just damn stupid
    the best example i can think of is either the bourne films in the fight scenes or the beach landing in save private ryan

its awesome because it really gives you the feel of being there but some times i hate it
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    It's like any technique really. Has its place but needs to be used in moderation. A bit like 3D for example. Just because 1 film is ok in 3D doesn't mean we want to see everything like that.

:yes:
  • Options
    I'm not down with the 3D fad... used way too much. I wonder if the shaky cam will still be used in 10 years time?
  • Options
    I like it but in modertaion. Sometimes its used so much you cant see whats going on, that really annoys me
  • Options
    Depends on the film. It's quite common in action films nowadays, where I don't think it really has the effect it's supposed to. Firstly, the cuts are so quick that you can barely notice anyway. And secondly, everything is so unrealistic and polished anyway, that it does nothing to add to the realism, which is the whole idea. Compare that to something like the films of Lars von Trier, for example, where this technique is more commonly used in the more mundane scenes (if not all the way through the film), and you have the effect of the whole thing looking like a documentary and being much more powerful because of the realism this technique creates. Something like Private Ryan, on the other hand, is actually more like a POV shot instead of an observer. It really puts you in the moment, but doesn't necessarily make it more real imo.
  • Options
    first time *i* remember is was in blair witch, that film makes me lol.