Home Home, Law & Money
Exciting news! Join our watch club and get free access to NOW for 1 month

car insurance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am getting some really silly quotes to insure a car as a first time driver, is there any way of getting a cheaper quote maybe if the car was down as my mums and i was an additional driver or is it better if its in my name.
Anyone found any good deals for new drivers because i can't find anything under £1300 which is £900 more than the car cost :lol:
I am still a learner and 17 though will be 18 soon if that would make it any cheaper.

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Louisek wrote: »
    I am getting some really silly quotes to insure a car as a first time driver, is there any way of getting a cheaper quote maybe if the car was down as my mums and i was an additional driver or is it better if its in my name.
    Anyone found any good deals for new drivers because i can't find anything under £1300 which is £900 more than the car cost :lol:
    I am still a learner and 17 though will be 18 soon if that would make it any cheaper.

    Not much, try Crowthorne, they are a broker and got me and my bro a good deal, my sister whos a driving instructor swears by them. very good for young/new drivers.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Might be worth looking into putting it in your mums name while you're still a learner, although that would need her to actually be the main driver of it. Insurance companies tend to see through fronting very very quickly.

    Being 18 will help slightly, but not much. Having a full license will also probably help, ask when you call whether pass plus would help. Best offer I got (a long time ago) was from Diamond.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The main thing to do is to start building up your own no claims bonus as soon as possible, as it's that that has the most effect on the price really.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Mist wrote: »
    The main thing to do is to start building up your own no claims bonus as soon as possible, as it's that that has the most effect on the price really.

    Aye! my first years insurance was £1300 fully comp, dropped to £300 second year, expect it to drop more this year.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Fronting is bad...

    Often helps to add your parent(s) to your own policy as named drivers. Made a noticeable difference to the cost of my policies over the years, but not any more. I'm old, now... ;)
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Not clear whether or not you have passed your test but, assuming you have, you might consider doing a bit of extra training. I think the BSM do a sort of post-test "improve your skills" lesson. Speaking as a biker, insurance companies generally give you a small discount for extra training - I'm sure it's the same for cars.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Its called Pass Plus for drivers. Some insurance companies will give you a discount for having done it, but its worth checking how much discount you get first as its often not as much as the course costs.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They also put the payments up when you go from provisional to full on passing your test as you're more of a liability without a co-driver.

    If we're not allowed to mention companies then someone can delete this, but the cheapest company I found was Quinn Direct who are based in Ireland.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Louisek wrote: »
    I am getting some really silly quotes to insure a car as a first time driver, is there any way of getting a cheaper quote maybe if the car was down as my mums and i was an additional driver or is it better if its in my name.
    Anyone found any good deals for new drivers because i can't find anything under £1300 which is £900 more than the car cost :lol:
    I am still a learner and 17 though will be 18 soon if that would make it any cheaper.

    Hi Louise.

    Try MoneySupermarket.com. I use this website now too look for insurance.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    tbh i think £1300 is as low is its gonna go, i've been searching for months and haven't found anything that cheap. maybe check out i-kube.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Have you tried the site I've mentioned?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The stupidity of young drivers car insurance

    It is such a ridiculous situation we are in , so many young drivers have to spend more on the insurance than they do their car. Too many young boys driving into lamp posts and writing off their cars after two weeks has caused this. Unfortunately you don't have many options, many do go on their parents insurance but strictly it is not kosha although often it is the only viable option.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    margey wrote: »
    It is such a ridiculous situation we are in , so many young drivers have to spend more on the insurance than they do their car. Too many young boys driving into lamp posts and writing off their cars after two weeks has caused this. Unfortunately you don't have many options, many do go on their parents insurance but strictly it is not kosha although often it is the only viable option.

    It was no different when I passed my test, back in 1998. £850 for a half-decent car, £850 insurance TPFT.

    Fronting is bad. Don't do it. Bite the bullet and build up some NCB - assuming, of course, that it is the young boys driving into lamp posts that bump up the cost of your premium, rather than yourself...
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Hellfire wrote: »
    Not much, try Crowthorne, they are a broker and got me and my bro a good deal, my sister whos a driving instructor swears by them. very good for young/new drivers.

    they just do female drivers though don't they?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    they just do female drivers though don't they?

    Nope, anyone, infact as I am insured by them. and I ain't no GIRL!!!!

    http://crowthorne.co.uk/
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I managed to get insured for just under £900 third party for a hand me down car worth about £300 what a rip off !!

    It was actually a little less than £900 but when i phoned and asked if i could pay monthly the price went up.

    I went with Admiral in the end, it is a 10 month policy called a bonus acellerator, you basically get a years no claim bonus after just ten months.

    I hope that by then i will have passed my test i will be 18 and with a years no claim it might be a sensible price next time.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Louisek wrote: »
    I managed to get insured for just under £900 third party for a hand me down car worth about £300 what a rip off !!

    Only because you're looking at it wrong - you're an unknown risk, and statistically quite likely to have a prang. It may be a minor exchange of paint, but you may also end up taking away the legs of a professional footballer.

    They're insuring you, rather than the car.

    When I passed my test, a bog-standard Mini 850cc was ~£800 to insure. I paid £850 to insure an Orion 1.6i Ghia - which may not really sound all that much these days, but they were pretty good cars in their day. It had 3x the power of the mini, electric everything inside, sunroof, tinted glass, alloys, etc.

    The car was largely insignificant(so long as you're not going for something hugely extreme) compared to the unknown risk of a new driver.

    BTW, insuring a Lotus Esprit would've been £1831.26p - not very much more than double the cost of the Mini. That pretty much says it all... :)
Sign In or Register to comment.