Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Discontinued products that you used to like

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Toffos

toffo_original.jpg
  • Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Opal fruits, as opposed to those imposters.
    Twix Whites, special ed in 05/08 I think. Do they still make those Nestle hippos and candy watches? Like the dolly beads on the string. Haven't seen them in ages.
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    Opal fruits, as opposed to those imposters.

Yeah. I also preferred the name 'Opal Fruits' before it changed to their newer name. Can't remember what the new name is though. It was totally unrelated. It's like Marathon vs Snickers. I preferred the Marathon name.
    They're called "Starburst" now, to conform to their trans-atlantic counterparts.
    Ahh cheers Dr Pirate. I could just never remember the new name :-)

On a similar note, when I was in France in 1992, I saw their Twix bars but they called it 'Raiders'. I don't know if that was Mars Inc's attempt to rename it globally, or if they just renamed it in certain countries.
    i think it's already been said, but i miss those chocolate covered pretzels that came in the electric blue foil packs, mmmm chocolaty and salty, my fav :p
    Ice cream flavoured chewits, white chocolate smarties, and of course my beloved purple Fanta :(
    i thought of another one last night um bongo! used to absolutely love that!!

Yes they still do the cangy watches and hippos I had them the other day when I went thru a proper childish day and wanted lots of sweets lmao!
    Franki wrote: »
    Ice cream flavoured chewits

There still around in places, although they taste different.

I noticed today that peanut butter kitkat chunky's aren't on sale anymore... :(
    There still around in places, although they taste different.

those havent been on sale for aaaages now :(
    I miss Um Bongo =(
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Dr Pirate wrote: »
    I miss Um Bongo =(

http://www.bringbackumbongo.co.uk/

:D
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    With so many of these products I miss the ads rather than the real thing as I remember walking round the supermarket putting everything that I'd seen on TV and then having it swiped out again!

Loved "Hippopotamousse from Chambourcy" ads, but the real thing was disappointing. Ads from the late 90s were ace -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhoonE5WKV8

1m 50 in for the Hippo one :D

ETA: Trio is in there too!
    I over heard someone singing the trio chocolate bar advert in tescos at about 0130 in the morning the other week.
    Another thing I miss - around 1995 or 1996 time, these little discs appeared in cereal boxes. They were about the size of a £2 coin and they had certain theming such as Star Wars to encourage people to complete a set. Does anyone remember what they were called? It was something liked 'tozo'.
    MrG wrote: »
    I over heard someone singing the trio chocolate bar advert in tescos at about 0130 in the morning the other week.

I want a trio and I want one now.
    MoK wrote: »
    I want a trio and I want one now.

Tough :D
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Another thing I miss - around 1995 or 1996 time, these little discs appeared in cereal boxes. They were about the size of a £2 coin and they had certain theming such as Star Wars to encourage people to complete a set. Does anyone remember what they were called? It was something liked 'tozo'.

Tazo's. They were in packets of crisps and you had to buy different brands to collect them all.
    Ahhh that's it - I wasn't too far off then. Thanks Johnny.
    Franki wrote: »
    Ice cream flavoured chewits, white chocolate smarties, and of course my beloved purple Fanta :(

You can get grape (purple) fanta in Brazil.
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    You can get grape (purple) fanta in Brazil.
    Purple Fanta wasn't grape though :no:.

It was like, mixed berry and some lethal neon colouring and it was A-MA-ZING.
    Tazo's. They were in packets of crisps and you had to buy different brands to collect them all.

I collected the star wars ones.
    I got them all, and the looney toons ones too.
    The mask ones too.
    I still have them somewhere in the attic.
    umbongo is still available, bought some the other day.

Yeah, they replaced them with those crappy caramel ones. Shitbags :crying:
    Makes them all the more worthwhile to wait for, that classic line of cheese "You dont know what you've got till its gone" rings true in this case.

Probly reason I have lost lots of weight anyway :)
    Something else that I had (and now miss), are Micro Machines. It was always £4, and it would get you one plot of land, about 5" x 5" and one car. Subsequent £4 sets can be connected together to the first set to form a chain or a grid. Then it was effectively a huge track that you could play your cars on. I don't know if they're still around, but I'm quoting £4 from Woolies from 1991/2-era.
    Monserrat wrote: »
    Something else that I had (and now miss), are Micro Machines. It was always £4, and it would get you one plot of land, about 5" x 5" and one car. Subsequent £4 sets can be connected together to the first set to form a chain or a grid. Then it was effectively a huge track that you could play your cars on. I don't know if they're still around, but I'm quoting £4 from Woolies from 1991/2-era.

Yup, or you could buy like a giant van shaped carry box, with a mini city inside for all your little cars to play around.