Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

deed polls / name change query

exposedexposed Posts: 31 Boards Initiate
hi all,

bit of a deed poll/name change query here. nothing too obscure though.

cut a long story short. i was born 28 years ago, a few months after my mam and dad married. she took on his surname, gave birth to me, i took his surname. a year later they split up and aside from the odd couple of times i haven't really seen him since - thats neither here nor there.. anyway.

my mother reverted back to her maiden name shortly afterwards when the divorce went through, however my mother didnt want to change my name until i was old enough to make a decision - so i kept my dad's surname.

my mothers side of the family have been amazing and have supported me and helped me through so much, whereas my dad hasn't really bothered and i can't even remember anyone from that side of the family.

i've been unofficially using my mothers maiden name for a couple of years now - mainly because i felt more in touch with that part of the family, but also that i wanted to support the side of the family that actually bothered with me while growing up.

does anyone know what process i would need to go through to "officially" change my surname? i'm suspecting i would need to go through deed poll.

anyway, any help or advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think that you would have to go thru deed poll and if I remember correctly from when I looked at changing the spelling of my name they aren't that expensive, do a quick search on google, there is plenty of info on there x x
    I think that you would have to go thru deed poll and if I remember correctly from when I looked at changing the spelling of my name they aren't that expensive, do a quick search on google, there is plenty of info on there x x

Actually, legally, I don't think you do. You can choose to call yourself whatever you like without changing your identity, per se. Only certain organisations require 'proof' of your name change and that can come in a variety of ways including, I believe, taking out a small ad in the local press! However, FA is correct in saying that a Deed Poll isn't expensive, so most people tend to go down that route. When you say that you want to change your name officially, I imagine you mean for a passport, driving licence or bank account. Before you go to any expense, I should speak to the relevant organisation and ask what their requirements are.
    Yeah to change your name you don't tehnically need a deed poll, but yeah places like banks, passport, driving licence etc you would have to have a deed poll for them, as its a way of legally changing your name. I changed my name by deed poll a few weeks ago, I used the deed poll company, which was £15.
  • exposedexposed Posts: 31 Boards Initiate
    cheers guys. massive help all around.