Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

alone in london :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey guys!

I moved to london on monday, im currently living in a travelodge near london city airport until im able to find myself some permanent (well, for 9 weeks anyway) accommodation, all the people i know who live in london are away/busy... so the question is.. what do i do??!!!

Its amazing weather outside and i really dont know what i cn do that doesnt involve spending too much money, and looking like a tool because im on my own.
im NOT going to sit around in my hotel room for the rest of the weekend.. cuz thats just sad. ive already been out to hampstead looking at a potential flat and sat in the park for a bit, so sunbathing has already been done!!
Im reeally bored, a bit lonely and tbh im regretting coming here a bit because apart from people at work I dont know a single person.
Oh dear, got a bit teary :crying:

Comments

• Options
    Get your ipod on and let your legs take you on a mystery wandering tour :)
  • Options
  • Options
    British Museum - beautiful place, completely free, easy to get to, greatest record of human civilization since the beginning of time...
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    British Museum - beautiful place, completely free, easy to get to, greatest record of human civilization since the beginning of time...

Or, the greatest record of human thievery since the beginning of time :D

Seriously though, the BM is awesome.
  • Options
    oh god yeah, i forgot someone posted something similar recently, sorry about that

thanks for replies, i may just head to the BM tomorrow :)
    I hope i meet some people outside of work soon though otherwise im going to get verra lonely. i know theres lots of museums and sites to see but even the best place can be rubbish when ur on ur own!
  • Options
    What about this sort of thing
    http://www.cultureseekers.org/
    Sure there are lots and lots more groups like this in London. Know you're not there for that long, but might be worth having a look for some anyway.
  • Options
    thnks kat :)

I know i said im here for 9 weeks, but if the job goes well and my boss recommends me to some more film companies then i might move here permanently.. and that site would come in handy :yes:
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Hunt out some facebook groups relating to London events - there's loads of free stuff you can attend to meet people... Do you have any particular interests?
  • Options
    I'm looking for jobs in London, if I find one and move in the next couple of months I'll let you know and we can be newbie Londoners together :D
  • Options
    Been there, done that. Being alone in London can be one of the most horrible experiences known to man. I hated it.

However, IT'S LONDON. As my pa would say - if you're bored of London, you're bored of life. Go see a musical or sight-see - yes, you'd be doing it alone but at the very least it will teach you to be a bit more independent and stop caring what the general masses 'may' think. So much better than hiding in your room with the X Factor (guilty as charged unfortunately!). So get out there and explore the city cos before you know it you'll be leaving and wishing you'd done more.

Hope that helps!
  • Options
    Neil wrote: »
    As my pa would say - if you're bored of London, you're bored of life.

That was Samuel Johnson who said that! But he, and your dad, are right.
  • Options
    I can't look at my dad in the same light now.
  • Options
    Hey im in london on the drink on saturday :)
  • Options
    Watch loads of films and read books until your job starts.
  • Options
    soraliah wrote: »
    Hey guys!

I moved to london on monday, im currently living in a travelodge near london city airport until im able to find myself some permanent (well, for 9 weeks anyway) accommodation, all the people i know who live in london are away/busy... so the question is.. what do i do??!!!

Its amazing weather outside and i really dont know what i cn do that doesnt involve spending too much money, and looking like a tool because im on my own.
    im NOT going to sit around in my hotel room for the rest of the weekend.. cuz thats just sad. ive already been out to hampstead looking at a potential flat and sat in the park for a bit, so sunbathing has already been done!!
    Im reeally bored, a bit lonely and tbh im regretting coming here a bit because apart from people at work I dont know a single person.
    Oh dear, got a bit teary :crying:

If you want to know anything more specific about London let me know and I'd glad to help. It's ironic that one can be so lonely amongst so many million people. But living in a hotel can be soul destroying, I've done it.

PM me if you wish.
  • Options
    I would suggest getting bus pass and traveling around London to see what it has to offer. You are near London city airport right. Well just across the river is historic Greenwich you can have a look around there, it has a couple of markets too.

Also explore Brick lane and Petticoat lane markets also in the east end on Sunday mornings if you are interested in bargins.

Major shopping centres of Ilford and Romford are near London city airport too which offer some of the best shopping and entertainment outside the West End.

Hop on the Woolwich free ferry to Woolwich then walk up to the top of Shooters Hill for some stunning views and quite woodland walks.

Some of London's churches also have free regular events too and are a chance to meet others. The great cathedrals of St Pauls and Westminster Abbey are free to visit on Sundays when they open for worship.
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »
    I would suggest getting bus pass and traveling around London to see what it has to offer. You are near London city airport right. Well just across the river is historic Greenwich you can have a look around there, it has a couple of markets too.

Also explore Brick lane and Petticoat lane markets also in the east end on Sunday mornings if you are interested in bargins.

Major shopping centres of Ilford and Romford are near London city airport too which offer some of the best shopping and entertainment outside the West End.

Hop on the Woolwich free ferry to Woolwich then walk up to the top of Shooters Hill for some stunning views and quite woodland walks.

Some of London's churches also have free regular events too and are a chance to meet others. The great cathedrals of St Pauls and Westminster Abbey are free to visit on Sundays when they open for worship.

I think the museums are free too in London, certainly the national history and science museums are.
  • Options
    Organise a meet up with people from here :D

My main piece of advice to you would be to not be worried about looking weird wandering around on your own - take a book and just get out there! No-one really cares what you look like.

I think it'd be well worth seking out any clubs/groups/meets for social activities that you enjoy and using them to meet people. What sort of things do you like to do?
  • Options
    sneer wrote: »
    Organise a meet up with people from here :D
    But do any other members of this forum live near London? This is an international forum remember.
  • Options
    This is a forum for young people in the UK, whilst some people might not fit that description that is the core audience of the website.
  • Options
    Goldsword wrote: »
    But do any other members of this forum live near London? This is an international forum remember.
    It's a UK forum, with a few international members.

Soraliah - I would be up for planning a meet if you would be up for coming. We haven't had one in aaaaaaaaaaages.
  • Options
    New to London

You have a most wonderful City at your foorstep, Don't hesitate in heading out alone and finding the action, there is so much to do. If you are here for sometime I would suggest you join a few local clubs /socities and get involved in the culture
  • Options
    You could also do some volunteering work in London as there are lots of volunteering opportunities in the capital. Probably more than any other city.
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    It's a UK forum, with a few international members.

Soraliah - I would be up for planning a meet if you would be up for coming. We haven't had one in aaaaaaaaaaages.

Me too - I've just moved back to London from Brazil....not easy I can say guys.