Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

CitizenCard

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Hey everyone.

I'm having a problem with CitizenCard, and not quite sure what to do about it. I sent away an application for a card at the end of October, just before that postal strike and I've still never received a card back from them! At first I thought maybe it had got lost during the strike, but at the end of November the cheque was cashed. In the last couple weeks I've sent a few emails to CitizenCard since there's no phone number available, asking what's happening with it but haven't heard anything back. I'm really quite angry and annoyed now, but not sure what else there is to try.

Also, I could end up spending quite a bit of time in Newcastle in the future, just I've heard the bars and clubs there don't accept anything other than passports and full driving licenses as ID there. Is that true? If that's the case then I might just go for a passport :/

Thanks if anyone can help
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Most places only accept drivers licences and passports these days. Originally being from near Newcastle I can confirm this, its the same in a number of places in the country though.

Its all because citizen cards have such lax security.
    I'm guessing provisional licences aren't accepted then? Only full ones? I'm really not wanting to learn how to drive any time soon.. Don't quite feel ready for that yet. So is it worth getting a passport if I only want to use it for ID? I'd be so worried about losing something like that
    Most places accepted my provisional license, I don't see why they shouldn't accept it!

A lot of people I know got their provisionals just for ID. It's cheaper if you have to replace than your passport!
    i always use my provisional and ive never been turned away cause of it
    Kalika wrote: »
    I'm guessing provisional licences aren't accepted then? Only full ones? I'm really not wanting to learn how to drive any time soon.. Don't quite feel ready for that yet. So is it worth getting a passport if I only want to use it for ID? I'd be so worried about losing something like that

Provisional just means you havnt passed your test yet, I dont know why people assume that a provisional is less a form of ID than a full one.
    I use my pasport.
    Also google fake id. Some websites allow you to buy genuine fakes. Just get one of them, aslong as your actually over 18 tis fine.

Genuine fake? Doesnt make sense

If you are over 18 remember that most places will only take passport or drivers licence.
    Well, I've finally had a reply back from Citizen Card saying my application is still going through the verification process before it can be sent to production, it seems to be taking a very long time though.

I was only saying about a full driver's license because I've heard that a few places even turn away provisional licenses, though I have no idea why they would do that..
    A lot of places like banks wont accept a citizen card or provisional drivers licence either. My bank insisted I provide either a full drivers liecence or a passport if I wanted payment from my account over the counter.

I think it will be much easier when national identity cards come in. Then at least people will be able to prove their identity quickly and easily. It will then make everything from opening a bank account to claiming benefits so much easier too. I don't know why so many people are dead against them.
    Goldsword wrote: »
    A lot of places like banks wont accept a citizen card or provisional drivers licence either. My bank insisted I provide either a full drivers liecence or a passport if I wanted payment from my account over the counter.

I think it will be much easier when national identity cards come in. Then at least people will be able to prove their identity quickly and easily. It will then make everything from opening a bank account to claiming benefits so much easier too. I don't know why so many people are dead against them.

Whats wrong with a passport?
    pass scheme

i'm new here so be gentle :eek: just thought i would let you know that the verification list of people you can have to prove you are who you say you are for citizencard is more thorough than a passport or a driving license, it isnt cuz its untrustworthy why it dont get accepted, its cuz the stoopid people who run the bars and clubs etc dont have a sodding clue what it is!!! awareness is everything!!! i used to run a pub and trusted citizencards MORE than provs and fulls and passports, so MAKE THE CLUBS AND PUBS AWARE that it is a GOVERNMENT RUN SCHEME!!!
    ... just thought i would let you know that the verification list of people you can have to prove you are who you say you are for citizencard is more thorough than a passport or a driving license .... i used to run a pub and trusted citizencards MORE than provs and fulls and passports ...

Hey, old post, but ... there is nothing particularly "thorough" about listing lots of different types of people who can verify a CitizenCard application. And, since they have to sign a copy of either your passport or national ID card or photo driving licence, etc., there is no reason that a CitizenCard should be a more trustworthy proof of age than a provisional or full driving licence. Both types of licence show your date of birth in more than one format, but as a former manager of a pub, you should know that. It probably comes down to laziness in the end. It is just so much more effort to work out from a date of birth what age someone is, especially if maths isn't your strongest subject.

A photo driving licence now requires the same proofs of ID as a Passport (genuine documents, NOT copies), which now means that a) if you have one, you can simply fill in your Passport number on your driving licence application and allow the DVLA to check your ID with the Passport Office, and b) you can use your driving licence as travel ID to re-enter the country (if, like me, you have been stupid enough to leave your Passport in the ski hire shop!). I doubt the UK Border Controls would be quite so impressed with a CitizenCard.
    citizen card phone number
    Kalika wrote: »
    Hey everyone.

I'm having a problem with CitizenCard, and not quite sure what to do about it. I sent away an application for a card at the end of October, just before that postal strike and I've still never received a card back from them! At first I thought maybe it had got lost during the strike, but at the end of November the cheque was cashed. In the last couple weeks I've sent a few emails to CitizenCard since there's no phone number available, asking what's happening with it but haven't heard anything back. I'm really quite angry and annoyed now, but not sure what else there is to try.

Also, I could end up spending quite a bit of time in Newcastle in the future, just I've heard the bars and clubs there don't accept anything other than passports and full driving licenses as ID there. Is that true? If that's the case then I might just go for a passport :/

Thanks if anyone can help

this is the phone number to citizen card 36 bromell road london
    heather123 wrote: »
    this is the phone number to citizen card 36 bromell road london

Could be a bit late by now if you check the date ;)

Plus you have posted an address not a phone number.
This discussion has been closed.