Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Going back to College

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I'm deciding to go back to college again to study humanities or science unsure on full or part time, this is my 3rd attempt at college, last year i start the access course, payed the exam fee early on and then quit a month later (£90 down the drain, i was really pushes to pay for it too) i then got myself down about college and decided to stupidly quit.

so now, i wanna go back, what i want to know is whens the latest you can pay the exam fee, last year they was really pushing us for it early on and saying we couldnt start the course without it, but couldnt they wait till say janruary when the adult learning grant comes in.. or even till the end of the year??

i have sort of plans of starting college, stricting diet, getting super healthy so i can get my self used to living of fresh fruit and veg in small quantities, fasting etc, saving up a little, then 2-3 grand to travel with, college is just something to do in the meantime, unless i get a decent job (i'm unemployed) so i dont want to pay an exam fee if i decide to swan off half way through the year, know what i mean?

anyone got any experience in exam fee's and dragging them out as long as possible, i understand colleges are really rushy and try get you to do things quickly etc

sorry for the drawn out post, Thanks for reading, hope you can get the jist of what i'm after
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    also any info on how to get a council house, i hear registering alcohol/drug dependant is the easiest way to go and making oneself homeless, so should i goto the doctors tell him i'm alcohol/drug dependent and also homeless? and would this affect my starting college..
    anyone got any experience in exam fee's and dragging them out as long as possible, i understand colleges are really rushy and try get you to do things quickly etc

They usually demand them up front.

As for the council house issue - if you've already got somehwere to live, you're unlikely to get a place on the list. (unless it's overcrowded or you have a disability [such as mobility impairment] which means the house is unsuitable for you)
    also any info on how to get a council house, i hear registering alcohol/drug dependant is the easiest way to go and making oneself homeless, so should i goto the doctors tell him i'm alcohol/drug dependent and also homeless? and would this affect my starting college..

Isn't that rather unfair on the people who actually are homeless/drug dependent?
    grace wrote: »
    Isn't that rather unfair on the people who actually are homeless/drug dependent?

Exactly. Plus you need evidence to prove that you are homeless / drug dependent.
    What happens when you get down about college, and just quit again? What next?
    MrG wrote: »

i wish i was homeless so any unput appreciated

Well if you wish you were homeless, what drive are you going to have to finish a college course?

Why? You'll have roof over your head, you'll have to sleep in the rain and risk people stealing your stuff at night...
    Melian wrote: »
    Exactly. Plus you need evidence to prove that you are homeless / drug dependent.

would a suitcase, or bag clothes be enough? and saying, Hi, I'm homeless, i've been kicked out of my family house as i dont get on with my family due to drugs/alcohol and relationship problems, im now completley homeless with no friends to stay with. can you help?

would that suffice you reckon?
    grace wrote: »

depends who you ask i suppose

Who know's? thats whats exciting
    I only wish i was homeless so i could get a place more easily, however, it would seem easier to lie in this day and age, i would have no guilt whatsoever, karma can pay me back any way shape or form...
    Where are you living now and what's wrong with it?
    I only wish i was homeless so i could get a place more easily, however, it would seem easier to lie in this day and age, i would have no guilt whatsoever, karma can pay me back any way shape or form...

I doubt you would prove it that easily, they would likely get in touch with people to ask about the situation. Trying to lie and pretending to be homeless is a bit low, and also a bit stupid.
    It's a shame that sometimes the system doesn't care about people who are above the "acceptable" line of help, but don't stoop low to fake or even become addicted to drugs of any kind and force yourself to be homeless. That is just low.
    I doubt you would prove it that easily, they would likely get in touch with people to ask about the situation. Trying to lie and pretending to be homeless is a bit low, and also a bit stupid.

Yeah. I'm sure I've read on various sites that if you are kicked out, you need a letter from someone stating you are homeless.
    would a suitcase, or bag clothes be enough? and saying, Hi, I'm homeless, i've been kicked out of my family house as i dont get on with my family due to drugs/alcohol and relationship problems, im now completley homeless with no friends to stay with. can you help?

would that suffice you reckon?

But anyone could say that.

Be grateful you have somewhere to live.
    my determination is not new found, its always been there, i'm unhappy because i'm sharing living space with people i would rather not, and i'm sure the feeling is likewise, however that is irrelevant as to the advice i require, thanks ofr your help.

as for a letter stating im homeless, how would i obtain a letter i have been kicked out and the householder no longer wishes to speak or have anything to do with me?