Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

'Singers' who can't sing live

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I'm watching Scouting For Girls and feel really embarrassed, it's making me cringe. Now, even though people say the X-Factor lot are talentless twits, at least they do have to demonstrate that they can actually sing live.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Whitney Houston apparantly :)
  • Options
    Shakira. Heard her on some MTV live performance, bloody awful.
  • Options
    I've heard her recorded performances and they are bad enough, she sounds like there's something stuck in her throat!
  • Options
    If a voice is too processed it doesn't sound quite right to me, so if you can;t sing, I probably won't like the song, no mater how good the processing.

Of course, I could be talking rubbish, because I don't know much about singing, I just know what I like....
  • Options
    Virtually all pop music these days is passed through and autotune and so
    many filters and effects to iron out mistakes. It also irons out any indviduality or sincerity. I'm quite happy with the tubeless likes of Captain. Beefheart and Bob Dylan thankee.
  • Options
    I saw Scouting for Girls on that god-awful Sweet Sixteen show yesterday, and they were crap, I agree. They're the new version of The Feeling, but even shitter (although as I understand it, The Feeling are actually pretty decent live - it's just the songs that are shit). But yeah, I took an instant dislike to them when I saw them on Panorama a while back trotting out the lazy "piracy is stealing" line. Funny it's always the shit bands that want to be able to sit on their handful of songs while they rake in the cash for the rest of their lives, isn't it? Whereas the talented ones don't tend to be too fussed, because they're always doing something new and interesting. I dunno, it reminds me of something. "We're rock stars against drugs, because that's what George Bush would want. We're rock stars that do Pepsi Cola commercials." :chin:

Anyway, there are loads. I think it's bollocks to say that all pop singers can't sing live. But it is true that there is far more turd polishing going on in that genre. Wayne Coyne from The Flaming Lips isn't a great live singer, but he also can't sing on the album, so who cares? The songs are still fantastic.

Can't say Shakira stuck out as particularly bad though. But there's also usually a huge difference between live in a studio and live at a gig, and I've only seen her do the former. But I mean come on, people like Shakira or Rihanna or Nelly Furtado are hardly claiming to have amazing vocals on their recorded stuff are they? And when you hear them live, they're pretty much the same as the album. Not quite as perfect, but it's not like they've made them hit notes they can't, or anything. And since we're on that, has anyone ever seen Jon Bon Jovi hit the top note of Living on a Prayer live?

Anyway, best live singer I've seen has to be Jonsi from Sigur Ros. Literally perfect vocals for 2 hours in a big venue.
  • Options
    Ian Brown is not considered to be a technically good singer, but for a lot of people I think it's not the voice quality that's appealing, its the charisma and the delivery if anything. Ian Brown is basically singing as Ian Brown, which is nothing like Chantelle from Rochdale singing as Britney Spears.

As for Scouting For Idiots; crap songs and less personality than a dining chair.
  • Options
    scouting for girls :mad: i cant stand them all their songs sound the same and people just lap it up, YUCK.
  • Options
    I saw a live performance from Florence and the Machine on TV and I thought she sounded pretty bad. Shame, because I'm quite a fan.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I saw a live performance from Florence and the Machine on TV and I thought she sounded pretty bad. Shame, because I'm quite a fan.

I saw her live a few months ago at Brixton Academy and she was fantastic, one of the best gigs I have been to. :yes:
  • Options
    She seems to be a bit hit and miss for me. She's obviously a decent singer, but I think sometimes, she thinks she's a bit better than she is, and overstretches herself a bit. And the results can be quite painful.
  • Options
    Well at least with most of the artists already mentioned you get a chance to judge if they can sing live or not,but with someone like Cheryl Cole you'll never know cause she will probable never even attemp to sing live.
    Fook she finds it hard enough to dance never mind sing aswell.
    I do agree with what someone said about its not so much the voice that you are buying into when listining to someone live,it's more to do with if they can hold a crowd,if they can entertain or not.
  • Options
    cassidy04 wrote: »
    Well at least with most of the artists already mentioned you get a chance to judge if they can sing live or not,but with someone like Cheryl Cole you'll never know cause she will probable never even attemp to sing live.

Oh, but she did. And it was so bad. So very bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkrBeiCOsDM&feature=related
  • Options
    scouting for girls :mad: i cant stand them all their songs sound the same and people just lap it up, YUCK.

Same here, they make me itch.
  • Options

That wasn't too bad, better than I expected, it wasn't painful to listen to or anything.
  • Options
    ughh x-factor :( only one person that won it is actually a good singer and that Leona. Alexandra's songs are boring, we never heard from leon jackson since he won it and im not sure about joe....
  • Options
    Leon released an album in 08, released a single in 09 and started touring. Now he's working on another album. He has been doing music but he hasn't been in the spotlight. Plus he lost his contract to Sony last year too.
  • Options

i prefer that to normal tbh
  • Options
    Charlotte fucking Church. Just ouch. The lower end of her top register is disgusting, blurgh.