Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Is the EU worth saving?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Way back in 2001, when I was at university, I attended a debate in the student's union on the subject of whether Britain should join the Euro. I was the only person on the floor to vote against joining the single currency. Now in 2010, the Greek economy has imploded, putting the single currency at risk and requiring a massive bailout from Germany. So it looks like I was right.
Of course Britain is still contributing to the bailout throught the IMF, but our non-membership of the Euro does shield us from the risk of that currency bombing.
So what is to become of the EU and the Euro?
Some would agree with the UKIP, that we should pull out of the EU and put up the shutters. Norway isn't in the EU, and they get along just fine.
But, here's the thing. We live in an increasingly globalised world. A great wedge of our banking sector has been bought out by Santander, which is Spanish. Big crises in the future will need more international cooperation to fix. I can forsee a time when it is the EU that is in charge of banking regulation, because only an international organisation such as the EU can control these multinational giants.
Plus there's a social aspect of being in partnership with the EU. If we are to ever achieve world peace, then we need to put aside petty nationalism and work together as a global community. Since we've been in the EU, we haven't had any more wars with Germany or France, and we ought to keep it that way. The EU is the first step to achieving the kind of utopian global government seen in the likes of Star Trek. So breaking up the EU could be a step backwards for Europe.

Comments

• Options
    The EU is worthy, the Euro was always going to be a disaster.
  • Options
    I don't think you can read too much into Norway tbh. They have a ridiculous ratio of natural resources to people. Switzerland might be a better example, although I've heard it said that it would benefit Switzerland massively to be in the EU, but they can't do it because it would take a referendum, which they wouldn't win (not sure how reliable that claim is though).
  • Options
    Most of the European Union, I could happily live without.

Trade agreements with European countries? Absolutely, I'm up for that. Free movement of people between European countries? Bring it on.

One currency for the whole of Europe? Don't fancy it much. More control being taken by Brussels over our national affairs? No thanks.

Strip the politics out of the European Union and turn into something much more basic and I might start to like it. And get rid of the disgusting levels of corruption in the organisation whilst you're at it. Any business whose accounts hadn't been signed off for 13 years would see its directors jailed for a long time. Why not the EU's bosses?
  • Options
    The Euro is a rubbish idea, the only reason we have come through the global recession relatively unscathed ( compared to one the torys led the country into ) is because we were able to control interest rates etc without having to worry about all the other failing econimes.
    The EU is even worse its not really much of a restriction on trade if you are not a member, just a little more paper work, a small price to pay for the freedom of being outside the EU
    There is a programme of stripping away our national identity and i suspect it is happening in other countries aswell.
    Very little recent history is taught in schools now because history divides nations and installs national pride neither of which are wanted by the bigwigs in Brussels.
    We are not europe we are Britian an Island not part of europe by geography or culture.
    Brussels wants a super state that can rival the states and china, that is why children are taught all things european are good so that in a few generations children will get the message from their parents, grand parents and schools.
    The euro curruncy along with the rules and regs from Brussels are just the start soon will be a Euro army, a Euro Police force and before you know it a European President.
    These are not racist thoughts by the way i am the biggest beliver in live and let live that you will meet, and i believe this programme of change is going on in all European countries.
    The Star Trek style utopia is closer than you think.
    Beam me up Scotty !
  • Options
    Louisek wrote: »
    the only reason we have come through the global recession relatively unscathed

Apologies for raining on the parade but I suspect you are going to find out that the "fun" has not yet begun in earnest.
  • Options
    Apologies for raining on the parade but I suspect you are going to find out that the "fun" has not yet begun in earnest.

Well i am still hoping Labour will be able to steer us through' but if the torys manage to sweet talk Clegg then i agree we are in the poo.
  • Options
    Well i am still hoping Labour will be able to steer us through' but if the torys manage to sweet talk Clegg then i agree we are in the poo.

I think the name of the Titanic's captain is somewhat irrelevant.
  • Options

As I have posted elsewhere, I looked on Clegg as a traditional party leader. The problem (for both the Tories and Labour) is that he cannot 'agree' any policy without passing it through the various rungs of the LibDem constitution.
  • Options
    MoK wrote: »
    The EU is worthy, the Euro was always going to be a disaster.

I agree- belonging to the EU is fine but Britain should remain out the Euro. I've always been against the European super-currency
  • Options
    The Euro is an excellent idea, the problem was who, for political reasons, they let join it and who, for political reasons didn't join it.
  • Options
    The Euro is a rubbish idea, the only reason we have come through the global recession relatively unscathed ( compared to one the torys led the country into ) is because we were able to control interest rates etc without having to worry about all the other failing econimes.
    Membership to the Euro was irrelevant to the fortunes of European nations' own economies. Some Eurozone nations' economies have fared rather better than Britain's, some worse.