Home Work & Volunteering
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Political activism

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone here with a strong interest in politics and get involved in pressure/lobby groups or is an active member of a political party vieing for votes and hence power. Perhaps you're someone who likes going on protest marches for a political cause

I'm a member of the Labour party and hold the position of branch secretary in my local ward. Also engage with a local campaign group of Amnesty international

Find being part of by-elections and the run up to local council and general elections is energizing and purpose-driven! Never short of social fundraising events in my constituency and speeches in person from top politicians

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm a member of the Conservative party and I'm on the executive committee of the local association. I always go out leafletting and putting up posters during elections. Canvassing is always fun. I've had responses ranging from "I don't want to talk about it" to "Give Blair a good kick up the arse". The most bizzarre was the lady who misheard me and thought I was selling conservatories.
    I'm a member of the Conservative party and I'm on the executive committee of the local association.
    Bet you're looking forward to the general election when it comes. Many in Labour circles concede the Tories will win even though senior politicians in government speak positively of Labour's chances in public

I always go out leafletting and putting up posters during elections. Canvassing is always fun
    Just come back from a supermarket car park with loadsa-leaflets to deliver for the local Labour party. I'm not into canvassing- too much of a social experience!
    The most bizzarre was the lady who misheard me and thought I was selling conservatories.
    Think she was thinking of a way to fob you off lol
    I don't belong to a political party. I am disillusioned with mainstream politics, I'm afraid to say. In my time in London, I have gone further left wing than any party represents and also very cynical. I have friends who are involved in politics though, mainly Lib Dem and SWP.

Activism wise, I have been involved with Wrexham Peace and Justice Forum, Campaign Against Climate Change and have been to many demonstrations for peace and for human rights.

In university, I was president of the People & Planet society and Environmental and Ethical Officer for my students' union.

I'm currently not really up to much. I occasionally do internet radio with an environmental, social justice, human or non human animal rights theme. As I am in the civil service, I have to be VERY careful who I associate with, especially with animal rights. I am getting involved with my trade union and hoping to become a rep.

I hope the economy improves, but at the moment am focussing on paying off debts and also on the fact I don't have great health at the moment. When I have saved up, I would like to go in to further education, and dedicate my life to writing and campaigning for social justice.

I feel a bit in activist limbo at the moment. :no:
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't belong to a political party. I am disillusioned with mainstream politics, I'm afraid to say. In my time in London, I have gone further left wing than any party represents and also very cynical. I have friends who are involved in politics though, mainly Lib Dem and SWP.

Activism wise, I have been involved with Wrexham Peace and Justice Forum, Campaign Against Climate Change and have been to many demonstrations for peace and for human rights.

In university, I was president of the People & Planet society and Environmental and Ethical Officer for my students' union.

I'm currently not really up to much. I occasionally do internet radio with an environmental, social justice, human or non human animal rights theme. As I am in the civil service, I have to be VERY careful who I associate with, especially with animal rights. I am getting involved with my trade union and hoping to become a rep.

I hope the economy improves, but at the moment am focussing on paying off debts and also on the fact I don't have great health at the moment. When I have saved up, I would like to go in to further education, and dedicate my life to writing and campaigning for social justice.

I feel a bit in activist limbo at the moment. :no:
    The sort of organisations you got involved with have an important role in the overall political machinery in the Uk
    KiwiFruit wrote: »
    The sort of organisations you got involved with have an important role in the overall political machinery in the Uk
    Hence I choose them over getting involved with political parties.
    Namaste wrote: »
    Hence I choose them over getting involved with political parties.
    Yes, fewer people are interested in joining frontline politics now, whilst over the last 10 years the ranks of various types of pressure groups has rocketed
    Bet you're looking forward to the general election when it comes.

Yes. Yes I am. :yes:
    It's hard for me to get excited about politics in the US because it of the politicians/political parties in question. I tend to become more engaged with individual issues, particularly civil rights. So far my role in US politics has been fairly passive. I make sure people know about the issues I am concerned about, and when people ask my political opinion about something, I tell them honestly (for some reason my opinion tends to be very valuable to people).
    My perception is US politics is glitzed and offers excitement to activists who are passionate. Whilst British politics is full of scandals that make people angry and want to disengage. Then I'm here and happy in my constituency - in UK that is. American politics may have something to offer over there but doesn't attract my interest
    My perception is US politics is glitzed and offers excitement to activists who are passionate. Whilst British politics is full of scandals that make people angry and want to disengage.

American politics is more than full of scandal!!!!
    MrG wrote: »
    American politics is more than full of scandal!!!!
    they love glitzy scandals !
    Dear KiwiFruit,

If I were you I would probably define all political parties and then ask people to say who is with.

What do you think?

Regards,
    Ahmad Khalaf
    Dear KiwiFruit,

If I were you I would probably define all political parties and then ask people to say who is with.

What do you think?

Regards,
    Ahmad Khalaf

Theres a bit too many to be able to list.
    Dear KiwiFruit,

What do you think?

Regards,

Ahmad Khalaf
    Political parties are vast machines that stretch over the country. Each has a political standpoint and slant in the political spectrum, appealing to the believer. The voters look for different things in politics and when they are a believer the party they vote for offers real policies in their minds-eye

For me to define each political party is to offer my subjective definition of every one in public. When people already follow a particular party they have their reasoning behind this and don't need my subjective interpretation of each to make a choice. That's for senior politicians to do and get media coverage to swing floating voters their way. Sometimes people in a party's leadership wield big influence catching the emotions of the mass by public appearances
    Been busy leafleting for my local party and also preparing the ground for an impending general election at or before May

Bet quite some people here have had political activists knocking on their door and glossy leaflets saying how good that party is and how the other parties in the race for power are wrong
    Back in the late 1990s I was involved in the Jubilee 2000 campaign which was to call on western governments to write off most Third World debt by the year 2000. The campaign is still going today see this: http://www.jubileedebtcampaign.org.uk/

It was initially a church based initiative based on an ancient Jewish tradition in the Bible of every jubilee ie every 50 years debts being cancelled etc. The campaign had some success with many national government leaders agreeing to cancel at least some Third World debts.
    Goldsword wrote: »
    Back in the late 1990s I was involved in the Jubilee 2000 campaign which was to call on western governments to write off most Third World debt by the year 2000. The campaign is still going today see this: http://www.jubileedebtcampaign.org.uk/

It was initially a church based initiative based on an ancient Jewish tradition in the Bible of every jubilee ie every 50 years debts being cancelled etc. The campaign had some success with many national government leaders agreeing to cancel at least some Third World debts.

A very noble cause :)