Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is it illegal to be removed from the electoral roll without consent

My sister lives at a residential home for adults with learning disabilities and we discovered today that the previous manager deliberatly removed all the names of the residents there from the electoral roll.

And then the next september when the form was re-sent to the home, only one residents name was added, but not hers.

Appart from being a shocking denial of her basic rights as a British citizen, has a crime actually been committed in removing her name without consent?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't know, but I would imagine actively removing people from the electoral role while they are still resident at the address without their knowledge would be wrong.
    fucking hell. I have no idea about thhe law in this area but that sounds dodgy.
    Under law they are entitled to vote unless they are convicted criminals in progress of a sentance, or members of the house of lords. So I'd guess what has been done is Quite Wrong. The section which included mental capacity as a voting eligibility criteria was removed in 2006.
    that is really, really horrible
    AskTheSite?
    We've had so many problems with her home, but I'm still surprised every time they mess up.

I've reported it to her social worker and the adults with learning difficulties team for the area where her home is based because the families of the other residents need to know whats happened too. Social services are saying its a safeguarding issue and have started yet another investigation into the home (the second so far this year). I've also spoken to democratic services and my dad is going to talk to the electoral roll people and they are all going to investigate.

What a mess :-(
    Oh dear, doesn't sound great. Is there any alternative care available, other than that home?
    Yes, we're in the process of looking for another place but its going to take time to find one that meets her needs.
    It sounds low, but with all the stories im currently hearing about people not being allowed to vote, who actually made it to the polling station, might be a perfect time to email/ring the media and get them to jump on it.
    I like your style Mr G, do it Zella!
    katralla wrote: »
    I like your style Mr G, do it Zella!

Too right, get the media on it, like a tramp on chips.