Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Top English Football rivalries

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Here is 2008's report of the top football rivalries in England. What do you guys think of the list?

1 West Bromwich Albion and Wolverhampton Wanderers
2 Ipswich Town and Norwich City
3 Liverpool and Manchester United
4 Portsmouth and Southampton
5 Cardiff City and Swansea City
6 Aston Villa and Birmingham City
7 Sheffield United and Sheffield Wednesday
8 Bristol City and Bristol Rovers
9 Newcastle United and Sunderland
10 Brighton and Crystal Palace
11 Derby County and Nottingham Forest
12 Blackpool and Preston North End
13 Darlington and Hartlepool United
14 Luton Town and Watford
15 Blackburn Rovers and Burnley
16 Port Vale and Stoke City
17 Arsenal and Tottenham Hotspur
18 Grimsby Town and Scunthorpe United
19 Everton and Liverpool
20 Leeds United and Manchester United
21 Chester City and Wrexham
22 Chesterfield and Mansfield Town
23 Northampton T and Peterborough United
24 Bury and Rochdale
25 Manchester City and Manchester United
26 Coventry City and Leicester City
27 Millwall and West Ham United
28 Accrington Stanley and Morecambe
29 Colchester United and Southend United
30 Macclesfield Town and Stockport County

Source: http://www.footballpools.com/football-fever/index.html
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Darlo and the Monkey Hangers have a bigger rivalry than Everton and Liverpool or Manchester United and Leeds? Howay man.

That said, the East Anglian derby is scary.
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »

Inbreds Vs. Inbreds!

I doubt the list, Luton Vs. Watford aren't bigger rivals than Leeds and Manchester United for a start.

How is this worked out?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Yeah, though having witnessed my fair share of football matches, I'd say Millwall vs West Ham is worse. Or maybe I was just there on a particularly bad clash. Surprised West Ham vs Tottenham isn't on there either.

Ended up being caught on a train full of Man City and Bolton supporters travelling from Manchester to Bolton. That wasn't pretty, I can tell you!
  • Options
    Millwall will start a fight with anyone, thats their main problem!

Local games will always reduce in a bit of tension, whether it be Man City and Bolton, Newcastle and Sunderland, Bradford and Leeds, Doncaster and Sheffield etc etc.
  • Options
    Newcastle and Sunderland gets crazy!
  • Options
    probably pretty accurate, altho i fail to see how Preston vs Blackpool and Luton Vs Watford place higher than Burnley Vs Blackburn.

not a pleasant place to be when that games going on. roll on next season
  • Options
    When they have a newcastle vs sunderland match, theres 52,000 people there. Which is a lot more capacity for trouble than most of those smaller places.
  • Options
    I'm now shit scared of Burnley fans after they racially abused me on a train. A big crowd of them got on and started singing songs about 'killing pakis' :(
  • Options
    How can West Brom and Wolves be top? And where's Plymouth & Bristol City?
  • Options
    jamelia wrote: »
    I'm now shit scared of Burnley fans after they racially abused me on a train. A big crowd of them got on and started singing songs about 'killing pakis' :(

thats disgusting :( i hate how football hooligans spoil it for everyone.
  • Options

That's horrible. It's a dark side of football that always seem to linger, no matter how far we've got in stamping that bullshit out.
    I'm almost scared to take my girlfriend to a game when she comes to back to england with me, because she's Japanese in origin. I know that it isn't as common as it used to be, and I haven't heard racism at a match for a while...but there's always that fear, and it would kill me to hear her abused like that. I think I'd flip and get myself killed. lol
    Still, it's come a long way and we need to take hope from that!
  • Options

in 20 years+ of watching burnley home and away i can honestly say that i've never heard any songs about "killing pakis"

however...Burnley like most clubs has its fair share of absolute knobs, some would say more than average. Its certainly not as bad as it was in the late 80s early 90s but there is still a hooligan element there.

most clubs have this, when it boils down to it there is usually a even number of dicks from each club looking for bother. If they were just to beat each other to death, and not have any affect on your regular football supporter i'd say leave them to it.

To be honest over the years i've know a fair number of these so called fans and most are just your regular joe.

hooliganism isnt "cool" in the media these days and they very rarely cover it, probably for the best.

On the plus side, maybe 5 years ago it was common place for most clubs to have a "youth firm" which was literally 13 and 14 year olds beating the crap out of each other. That part of it has all but gone now thankfully.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with Burnley fans, but there are plenty of us who are just in it for the footy.

On the racism side of things, we've probably got it worse than a lot. Racial tension round these parts still aint any good. Considering this town is quite multi-cultural, you very rarely ever see anything other than white faces at the Turf, however the club are trying to improve on this.
  • Options

Racial tension round these parts still aint any good. Considering this town is quite multi-cultural, you very rarely ever see anything other than white faces at the Turf, however the club are trying to improve on this.

:yes: I notice the same when I go up to Leeds.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Here's some rivalry for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GUpaw0wYrk

Fucking hooligan skates beat Saints yet still went on to smash up their won town when they couldn't get their hands on any saints supporters. Boy of 10 and girl of 14 arrested as hooligans.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote: »
    Here's some rivalry for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GUpaw0wYrk

Fucking hooligan skates beat Saints yet still went on to smash up their won town when they couldn't get their hands on any saints supporters. Boy of 10 and girl of 14 arrested as hooligans.

Nutters.
  • Options
    probably pretty accurate, altho i fail to see how Preston vs Blackpool and Luton Vs Watford place higher than Burnley Vs Blackburn.

might be because of the one of the most recent meeting had a lot of trouble inside the ground at vicarage.

most of the other rivalries, although involve bigger clubs, large scale unrest hasnt occured in the last 15 years
  • Options
    All clubs have their nutters, my hatred of Manchester United stems from them throwing sharpened coins at our family section in a league game, and some are worse than others.

Bradford always used to have a major hooligan problem but they've pretty much gone now, the last major disturbance caused by City fans I can remember was when a coachload of West Brom fans got absolutely twatted because they'd been singing songs about the fire during the match.

Hooliganism hasn't gone away, though, the usual clubs still have the nutters. Trouble still seems to follow Millwall, Leeds, West Ham, Cardiff, Luton, Portsmouth, Carlisle. Burnley aren't too bad now but my uncle still carries the scars from when some Burnley thug stuck a glass bottle in his face after a derby match with them.
  • Options
    I went to the Leeds Millwall play off game, as a neutral. Sat in the south stand (home) as close to the millwall fans you can get.

I have strong southern accent and showing a London based driving licence so was worried i might be landed in trouble, butquite honestly I loved it. The atmosphere was tense hostile and manic. People were drunk, and chanting everywhere - you'd expect violence? but I think football fans are happy to create this threatening atmosphere, i enjoyed it and I was a neutral.

Milwall and Leeds are often the first listed teams to cause trouble, but if there was no trouble in such a big game, then i guess thats pretty much the end of it. Luckily the police seem to have got it sorted now, its kept the nutters away. I just enjoy the atmosphere, and am thankful i wasnt around in the 80s.
  • Options
    Think after Leeds vs. Millwall there was about 6 or 7 arrests for public disorder and 2 for some clowns smashing a bus up, from a crowd of over 37,000 in whats a big game is pretty good going. But the police controlled the away fans very well on both legs.
  • Options
    Bloody skates.

Portsmouth have the youngest convicted male and female football hooligans. Isn't that a great advertisment for nuking the whole bloody place?
  • Options
    altho it doesnt seem to have been mentioned in the press much there was quite a lot of trouble at our play off game monday at Wembley, there was a massive kick off outside the stadium before the game which luckily i didnt witnessed, apparently 40-50 "crew" going at it.

However i did witness a massive scrap at a service station on the way home on the M1, a load of Sheffield Utd "fans" turned up offering any Burnley lads who wanted it....some took them up on it, involved bottles, pint glasses, chains, metal cosh battons, not a pretty sight....

1 copper turned up, then a ambulance about 20mins later to sort out the injured folk.

wasn't good at all, there were families with young children about. :no:
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Think after Leeds vs. Millwall there was about 6 or 7 arrests for public disorder and 2 for some clowns smashing a bus up, from a crowd of over 37,000 in whats a big game is pretty good going. But the police controlled the away fans very well on both legs.

most of them were pitch invaders i think. Terrible ones at that, one guy was so drunk he ran on the pitch a forgot where he was, taken away in no time.

I am suprised there was not more trouble, a sell out at elland for for a playoff game might be expected. Put looking around you can tell a lot of people made the effort to go just because it was Millwall.
  • Options
    I love Barcilona Club.
  • Options
    WTF! That list is in the totally wrong order! West Brom and Wolves is definitely not the biggest rivalry in English football, Why the f*ck is West Ham and Millwall in 27th when it's definitely in the top 5 and with shitty rivalries like Peterborough and Northampton, Grimsby and Scunthorpe, Chesterfield and Mansfield all above the West Ham and Millwall rivalry, this list is a load of rubbish! My top 5 would be: 1. Manchester Utd V Liverpool 2. West Ham V Millwall 3. Cardiff V Swansea 4. Birmingham V Villa 5. Portsmouth V Southampton.
  • Options
    Its also a 2 year old list.

Have a look at the dates on the last few posts!

I'll stick up for sunderland vs newcastle again, since its going to happen again. When sunderland first came up from the championship and newcastle played their first couple of games against them that first season, away fans were banned from each others grounds.

Plus there never seems to be that much trouble at Man Utd and Liverpool matches.
  • Options
    Its certainly not as bad as it was in the late 80s early 90s but there is still a hooligan element there.
This discussion has been closed.