Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Does anyone know...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What a crown servant is???
I'm in the early stages of dating one and I have no idea what they do, or what it could include. All google definitions are really vague and when i wiki'd it the first thing that came up was the official secrets act!!

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A civil servant! All civil servants have to sign the Officials Secret Act before joining up. There are soooooo many jobs though so hard to say exactly what they do!
    Fruit Loop wrote: »
    A civil servant! All civil servants have to sign the Officials Secret Act before joining up. There are soooooo many jobs though so hard to say exactly what they do!

noo civil servants are different I'm sure.
    Why dont you just ask him?
    A Crown servant is an officer of the United Kingdom government. A Crown servant posted overseas is usually a member of HM forces or a person employed by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.
    Lexi99 wrote: »
    Why dont you just ask him?

I did, he said even his mum doesn't really know what he does. I don't know if I believe him and if he's telling the truth, I would worry about the ethics of some secret government job. Hense why I'd like to know the vague job descriptions of various crown court employments. Will ask him about it more next I see him, but I don't want to go harping on about it.
    A Crown servant is an officer of the United Kingdom government. A Crown servant posted overseas is usually a member of HM forces or a person employed by the Foreign and Commonwealth Office.

Yeah i saw that too. Translation?
    Evenstar wrote: »
    He said even his mum doesn't really know what he does. I don't know if I believe him and if he's telling the truth, I would worry about the ethics of some secret government job.

Sounds a bit Walter Mitty to me. I would be sceptical of someone who claims to be a "crown servant". I wouldn't worry about the "ethics" of his job though. I know people who genuinely work in the Intelligence Service and they certainly don't go around advertising themselves "crown servants". At best, he might be a pen-pusher in some government office. The truth is probably much less interesting.
    My understanding is that the term is really general, it pretty much applies to all civil servants, all members of the army, the foreign office, etc.

It's a pretty generic term, so yeah, I'd just ask him exactly what he does when you see him again. There's plenty of jobs that it could apply to and maybe he's just making his seem more interesting than saying he's a civil servant.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/CNR/faq1.htm
    TBH I think he sounds like he thinks he is mr important but his job isn't really that glamorous at all. As Jim V said he is prob trying to make his job sound more interesting. I can't stand that :rolleyes:
    me neither! TBH I've only met him once on a night out, he lives in london but has been doing some work here and we had a great time so we will be seeing each other again when he comes up in a few days. Most of the questions about his work have been via text and you can't really draw too many conclusions from that. My bias is to disbelieve him as I have a few trust issues in general. We'll just see!

Am ridiculously pleased that I got a JimV response - feel like I met a celebrity!
    Im technically a servant of the crown.
    Usually MI5 or MI6 would say their Home Office or FCO. The last thing intelligence services wants are people being so mysterious they get more attention than they would if they just said I work for the Civil Service

As a test though say you've a friend who's a gay, Cambridge educated art historian. If your date offers to sell him nuclear secrets he's probably MI6
    As a test though say you've a friend who's a gay, Cambridge educated art historian. If your date offers to sell him nuclear secrets he's probably MI6

lol
    Most people who work in the inteligence trade, whether civilian or military will try to make their job sound as boring as fuck. Unless they are a total twit who shouldnt be in that line of work.

It stops people asking prying questions.