Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Turning down a job?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm after some work atm, and have just been offered a low-paying but full time job, that's fairly convenient to where I live. The problem is it's with one of these dodgy credit card protection companies where you sell identity fraud protection and stuff over the phone and I've been warned off them already by someone else as being utterly soul destroying!

I had a bad feeling about it anyway and have an induction day tomorrow, but thinking of just phoning up and cancelling. But it would be £240 a week before stoppages and I'm not sure whether turning down a horrible job is worth it to lose that kind of potential money.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You could do better ShyBoy. I know jobs aren't very available atm... but you really could.
    Xx
    How much do you need the money? Could you take the job and still keep on applying for something better?
    I've turned down a job like that, and forced sales to charities. I'm not money thirstly and I won't sell out and make someone elses life a misery to please someone else. It's not who I am, I wouldn't do it. Depends how much you think it would affect you, the guilt would have made me have sleepless nights, seriously.
    katralla wrote: »
    How much do you need the money? Could you take the job and still keep on applying for something better?

Yeah, if you need the money I think if I were you I'd take it and keep applying for lots of other things. Sometimes anything is better than nothing just to have some money coming in.
    Well, since then I had some good inroads, I had an interview and several other bits and bobs, employers sounding promising, but nothing has come about. Now my confidence has hit bottom, sitting here in my dressing gown feeling sorry for myself!! At least I'm going into town later to register with another agency who dont have any work but could 'keep me on file', and of course hand out CVs to all sorts of part time work (which wont pay the bills, but will help stop the haemmoraging) - but I'm even foregoing buying bus tickets atm in an effort to save money.

As a registered student I'm not eligible for any kind of state welfare at all which really doesn't help. Obviously with the student loan I had previously been receiving I've probably had my fair share anyway... but now its stopped I have to fend for myself, pay rent, etc. etc. for 5/6 months with no support. I was joking with my gf earlier that in the current state of play, I am better able to support myself turning to a life of crime than getting a job - that cant be right for a bright switched on nearly-graduate!

Should have taken the shit soul destroying job I guess :(.

Anyway, just needed to vent, sigh! Anyone have any more pointers other than keep trying? If anyone wants to see my CV PM me. Though I've been told in the past it's upto a good standard (as basically there is only so much you can do before you are in a 'career' as such).
    1. Get up, get washed and get dressed.

You need to keep yourself in a 'normal' routine, even if you've not got much to do.

I realise this is stating the obvious, but I take it you've tried the job centre?

And are looking for permanent as well as temporary positions?

And are tailoring your CV to each place you're applying to?
    Yea I've applied to vacancies advertised at the job centre, though not actually been into the one in York (the one in Leicester I asked for help and they jsut said print off some vacancies and phone them.. so I can just as easily do that by getting the vacancies at home).

A lot of the jobs I'm applying for are similar, but I'm not tailoring my CV to every single job I apply for. I don't have tonnes of experience in loads of different fields anyway, so I've just got everything on there really - education, previous work experience (admin generally), volunteering + references.

Applying for every single vacancy I meet the criteria for. The ones that put me off slightly are the ones with their own online application process that you need to jump through hoops for - I did that with british gas (took about 1h30 including the competence tests) and got through to telephone interview stage where they said I lacked experience but if I got telephone experience apply again in 6 months :/.

I understand the need to keep myself in a normal routine and have been doing so, but today I'm just out of energy and fed up now its the same old every day, apply apply apply reject reject reject. My bank balance has just dipped into my overdraft for the first time in 12 months.
    Could you give the call centre a ring back and see if they can give you the job afterall?
    katralla wrote: »
    Could you give the call centre a ring back and see if they can give you the job afterall?

It wasn't even the call centre directly that offered it to me, it was an agency (Manpower, the worst in my experience!!). I will pop by at some point and see if they have any more vacancies.
    I still have a personal vendetta with manpower, from many a year ago. I had forgotten until this moment :)
    Well I've got an interview that is looking v v promising on thursday!! :)

Only downside it being 20h a week + overtime rather than 37.5h weeks, but beggars cant be choosers!!
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well I've got an interview that is looking v v promising on thursday!! :)

Only downside it being 20h a week + overtime rather than 37.5h weeks, but beggars cant be choosers!!

Good luck for that ShyBoy :)
    Good luck
    Something's better than nothing. Go for it Shyboy!
    good luck
    Big Gay wrote: »
    good luck

I was looking over the active conversations and saw 'turning down a job' and 'big gay' underneath, and automatically read 'turning down a big gay job'. just thought i'd let you know, it gave me my first laugh today :P
    Interview went well, but they put me off by saying a few choice things:

- I'm not allowed to take sick days
    - Made a comment about me having a girlfriend or kids and whether other commitments would cause a problem
    - compulsory no-notice overtime (though this is something id probably be happy to go along with, imagine leaving work to go somewhere and being told you're staying for another 6 hours)
    - no official employment thing

it's pretty dodgy all in all, looks to be cash in hand for a small little off-the-radar sales operation and if I had the choice I would run a mile. But money is getting pretty tight :(

Lack of jobs = employers able to take the piss.
    It does sound... dodgy. Think of the money though.
    No harm in taking it so you've got some money coming in. Cash in hand means no tax I guess?! But carry on looking for something better. It's not a long term thing so I wouldn't worry - I'm sure it'll be a weight off your mind to have some money.
    They are probably expecting him to register as self employed and pay his own NI and tax, unless they aren't.
    I'm after some work atm, and have just been offered a low-paying but full time job, that's fairly convenient to where I live. The problem is it's with one of these dodgy credit card protection companies where you sell identity fraud protection and stuff over the phone.
    I thought it was illegal to make nuisance phone calls. Seriously I think companies who do this sort of thing should be shut down! :grump:
    Goldsword wrote: »
    I thought it was illegal to make nuisance phone calls. Seriously I think companies who do this sort of thing should be shut down! :grump:

People would find it a nuisance, but if its to sell something, its not as if they are genuinely harassing them in a way a stalker would.
    - compulsory no-notice overtime (though this is something id probably be happy to go along with, imagine leaving work to go somewhere and being told you're staying for another 6 hours)

Is this even legal?
    Interview went well, but they put me off by saying a few choice things:

- I'm not allowed to take sick days
    - Made a comment about me having a girlfriend or kids and whether other commitments would cause a problem
    - no official employment thing

it's pretty dodgy all in all, looks to be cash in hand for a small little off-the-radar sales operation and if I had the choice I would run a mile. But money is getting pretty tight :(

Lack of jobs = employers able to take the piss.

If you take that on after agreeing to all that stuff be prepared for them to walk all over you, then stuff off one day without paying you.

I'd avoid it like the plague. There might not be that many jobs but there's still legitimate businesses hiring.
    Mist wrote: »
    If you take that on after agreeing to all that stuff be prepared for them to walk all over you, then stuff off one day without paying you.

I'd avoid it like the plague. There might not be that many jobs but there's still legitimate businesses hiring.

Yea, well I've applied for another job in the local area that's full time and would be perfect - but haven't heard a peep back yet.
    Yea, well I've applied for another job in the local area that's full time and would be perfect - but haven't heard a peep back yet.

No call, and the sign advertising the job has been taken down, guess I did not get it >.<

I'll keep looking though, I just want this part time one to tide me over until I find something better.
    Have you asked the company if they expect you to register your own tax and insurance? If the answer is anything but yes, it defiantly is not worth it. A few pounds a week compared to a few years in jail?
    I know soooo many people who work in sales industry who don't register for tax and NI. The industry I worked in for years, I think the only people registered were those who wanted to claim tax credits too, and the company owners. Some of them have been doing it for 20years and never been caught. I've never heard of someone getting found out...
  • Emma_REmma_R Deactivated Posts: 50 Boards Initiate
    Hi Shyboy,

Sorry to hear the job hunt is difficult - it's a really tough time for graduates at the moment and there's loads of competition for jobs so the fact you're finding it hard to find something is absolutely no reflection on you! How is it going - have you got any more leads?

In the meantime you could consider contacting the CAB if you have any questions about whether a company's policies are legit or not.

This Q&A from the site.org has some facts about sick pay - you are entitled to statutory sick pay after three days of illness.

Here's an article about scam/fraud jobs - a growing problem with so many people looking for work.

cheers - good luck and let us know how you're getting on...
    I'm doing the scammy job, I thought I may as well get some cash in hand. It's not all bad tbh, he does pay through PAYE so we get taxed / NI - but today he mentioned (I had done an extra 4 hours overtime yesterday and today, first two days!) that because this was kind of my training and I wasn't going as fast as the rest of the guys, that he would pay me half pay - and from next week he'd pay me full pay. Half of minimum wage is less than minimum wage amirite?

So that ticked me off, along with him being pretty patronising about some aspects (its taken me a few hours to get used to where all the stuff is when picking for orders, so the guys can walk to the shelf and grab, I take about 30s-1m per item trying to find it if that makes sense), but I can deal with that. I was a bit miffed today as I'd already arranged to hang out with my girlfriend who is now busy so can't see her today :(, but he said he wanted me to stay so he could train me up (which apparently I'm not getting paid for as before).

So I'm weighing up just whether to keep trying to find jobs, or whether to quit this now and hope something better comes up.

Emily - not actually a graduate, though trying to explain my circumstances to the boss after the 10th time got difficult (hes not a native English speaker which makes it even more difficult) so when he said again 'so you've finished uni eh? what you wanna do?' i said 'yea, dont really know - anything to tide me over'.

I'm worried if I just say 'I quit' now he wont even pay me for the last two days. :/

Also regarding the sick pay, it's not the getting paid that's an issue - its the fact he said it 'wasnt allowed' - insinuating to my belief that if I did take sick days I'd get the sack.