Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

what to apply for? What do YOU do?Graduate

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi guys iv got an engineering degree -2.1, been in the sector for 2 years and decided that its not really for me despite the good money!

Really need some inspiration to start a new path, what to apply for and where to look?

So basically what do you work as once you graduated?

Anything really but i would rather go for jobs that require any degree.

cheers

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Engineering isnt my dream though, i really only finished it because i couldn't afford to change degrees. Just want some ideas of other peoples roles and jobs because i desparately need to work as something new:crying:
    Perhaps try asking for help at the careers office of your old uni, I know we are entitled to help for five years after graduating.
    Thought about becoming an officer in the armed forces, in an engineering trade?
    Physics Teacher?
    Accountancy?

PWC?

Accenture?

Considered the technical consultancy lot? Or any kind of consulting? Depending on what kind of Eng degree you've got you might do well with that kind of thing. They're keen on us at the moment.

Product design & development

Health and safety?
    Do whatever you want to do.

That said, my careers department, at what was meant to be a top red brick uni, were awful - they just pigeon-holed me based on what my degree was.

I'm a linguist yet work in the City. Do whatever you want.
    Prospects.ac.uk is a v. useful website to start with if you're exploring options related to your subject, and also provides info on different jobs in other sectors. Also exploit your uni careers service for information.

Re. current role, examine what it is in particular that doesn't suit you (sitting at a desk/working alone/working in a team/travelling??) Identify what skills you have and want to use more - are you creative and the current role doesn't allow you to use this enough, for example? Consider what motivates you the most too - would you be willing to take a pay cut if you had to start in a different sector? Think about the extracurricular activities you got involved in at uni; that's often very revealing as to what your strengths/interests are!