Home Help Desk
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Adding a 'veterans' section?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    really cant imagine it fitting in with the aims of thesite. inclusivity baby :thumb:

p.s. dont leave.
    Evenstar wrote: »
    I've only been here a year and am 20 but I like the veterans! Fuck who it's aimed at you guys bring a level of experience and maturity(!) that probably kept me here. I say go for the veterans board.

When I was younger I wanted respect from elders because I thought that I deserved it, I therefore do the same to the youngsters in my life. I find this mentality is the best way forward. Those that dismiss the young because they are young are fucking muppets. I achieved more before I was 25 than many people do in a lifetime.

Not arrogance. Truth.
    If you start a section for people over 25... I'll be the only one left here before long ;)
    Xx
    If you start a section for people over 25... I'll be the only one left here before long ;)
    Xx

You and... most of the new people who are joining everyday ;)
    TheSite is almost unique in terms of offering a sounding board for personal dilemmas. I reckon I am probably among the oldest participants here, having arrived accidentally - not noticing who the target age-group were. It didn't matter to the people who responded to my post.

I stay because I hope that my life experience can help others. If I want to talk about 'oldie' stuff, I've got my husband, friends and family.
    Did I say I was against the idea yet?
    When I was younger I wanted respect from elders because I thought that I deserved it, I therefore do the same to the youngsters in my life. I find this mentality is the best way forward. Those that dismiss the young because they are young are fucking muppets. I achieved more before I was 25 than many people do in a lifetime.

Not arrogance. Truth.

I do discount youngsters sometimes, because of their mentality and attitude, not because they are simply young. As for arrogance, you can still be telling the truth and be arrogant about it :)

Who is to say that with achieving so much in yourlife so far, that you still wont surpass your 0-25years efforts, between 25-35 years of age :)

The good thing about people with drive, they are like toyota cars, once you get going you just keep getting faster and faster and dont stop :)
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Big Gay wrote: »
    Did I say I was against the idea yet?
    Same.
    But what about a Nostalgia thread.

Now that could be fun. For people who have proper memories of the 90's (or at least bits of them). The littlies could admire how wonderful the world used for to be before everyone had mobile phones and those who were actually there could reminisce.
    perhaps an open over 25's section?
    perhaps an open over 25's section?
    Well, no.

Because this forum is aimed at 16-25s.

I'm really confused about how this is going over people's heads. This is a charity site. A charity aimed at people aged between 16-25 and giving them support. Anything that goes against that on the forum (any kind of closed forum, anything for people over/under that age bracket, whatever) could potentially get their funding cut because you know, people are giving them money on the basis that the charity does what it says it does. Adding a forum like that means they're doing something that isn't what they say they're doing.
    Think of the greater good. Many people who are here and are over 25, have been here a long time and should realise the good that this place can bring to peoples lives.

I for one do not want to harm it in anyway.

Those who are here who are over 25 and havnt been here long, their opinions are still just as valid, and may be able to offer good advice due to life experiences.

The core effort here is the 16-25 age group, I know I havnt got too long left since im 25 soonish, but I'm still going to hang around everywhere, not just lurking :)
    i've just seen this thread. I think i am a tiny bit obsessed with thesite forums heh heh, but it's because ive met the best bunch of people on here, that i have ever seen on a forum. I know i haven't been here long, but it seems like ages for me because of the contact i've had with such great, loving, kind, generous posters :) <3FORUMLOVE<3
    Franki wrote: »
    Well, no.

Because this forum is aimed at 16-25s.

I'm really confused about how this is going over people's heads. This is a charity site. A charity aimed at people aged between 16-25 and giving them support. Anything that goes against that on the forum (any kind of closed forum, anything for people over/under that age bracket, whatever) could potentially get their funding cut because you know, people are giving them money on the basis that the charity does what it says it does. Adding a forum like that means they're doing something that isn't what they say they're doing.

But half the good done in this site is by the veterans/ over 25. If giving them a place to hang out in addition keeps them here then I say go for it, for the greater good!
    but then I think it'd end up alienating the younger ones.
    But half the good done in this site is by the veterans/ over 25. If giving them a place to hang out in addition keeps them here then I say go for it, for the greater good!

disagreee.

broken angel is like.. 13. she has been dishing out good advice for a while now
    My point wasn't that it wouldn't be a nice addition. My point was that this is a charity which expressly describes itself as being for that particular age bracket. Yes, people above and below that bracket visit and even contribute and often in a very worthwhile way, but the funding the charity receives is on the basis that their information and content is focused on that particular age range. Anything that would go against that jeopardises their funding and I'm sure none of us want that.
    My point wasn't that it wouldn't be a nice addition. My point was that this is a charity which expressly describes itself as being for that particular age bracket. Yes, people above and below that bracket visit and even contribute and often in a very worthwhile way, but the funding the charity receives is on the basis that their information and content is focused on that particular age range. Anything that would go against that jeopardises their funding and I'm sure none of us want that.

Damn the beaurocrats, they don't know what/who's good for them! Surely it's alongside, rather than against?
    disagreee.

broken angel is like.. 13. she has been dishing out good advice for a while now

Is she? Well fuck a duck. I expect when she's older she'll be one of those ridiculously well adjusted people you'd love to hate if you didn't love them so much! It's odd how the people who have been here the longest are generally the best adjusted among us... I guess this place is good for us!

True for the most part though, right?
    ha i wouldnt say that..! :p
    Damn the beaurocrats, they don't know what/who's good for them! Surely it's alongside, rather than against?
    Well, it's in addition to, but it is still outside of their stated age range.
    Well, it's in addition to, but it is still outside of their stated age range.

I still think it could be swung
    I still think it could be swung
    It's too much of a risk. This isn't just a normal advice website, remember, it's run by a registered charity with stated aims and targets and if they go outside of those aims and targets even by something which seems small to you, they could potentially lose their funding from any of the valuable sources which give them money.

We're not talking small time here, some of the people that give funding to Youthnet are big, major companies.
    I still fail to understand the need to be honest.

If its closed to other members, then that surely misses the point of it being aimed at 16-25. And this whole place could become segregated... as in people may refer to things that are in the closed forum outside of that forum blah blah blah.

And if its "alongside" then what difference does it make whether a post is placed in one of the existing forums or whether its placed in a "special over 25s one"?

Meh.

If its closed to other members, then that surely misses the point of it being aimed at 16-25. And this whole place could become segregated... as in people may refer to things that are in the closed forum outside of that forum blah blah blah.

And if its "alongside" then what difference does it make whether a post is placed in one of the existing forums or whether its placed in a "special over 25s one"?

Meh.
    Yep, this.

If you're all that fussed about it, there's plenty of websites where you can make your own forums.

Meh.

A place to talk about special old people things? Like reminiscing and premature balding and whatnot?
    I dunno really I'm 20 lol so not too fussed just, I hate the idea of some of the guduns leaving because they feel out of place - I think we could all agree that some of the older members are an integral part of this community. Plus the board would be only one of many so I don't think there would be much segregation - a lot of the boards have ageless topics. I'm sure if the idea of an over 25's board was put to whoever funds this thread with a view to improving the quality of the advice given to the 16-25's it might happen.
    A place to talk about special old people things? Like reminiscing and premature balding and whatnot?
    I dunno really I'm 20 lol so not too fussed just, I hate the idea of some of the guduns leaving because they feel out of place - I think we could all agree that some of the older members are an integral part of this community. Plus the board would be only one of many so I don't think there would be much segregation - a lot of the boards have ageless topics. I'm sure if the idea of an over 25's board was put to whoever funds this thread with a view to improving the quality of the advice given to the 16-25's it might happen.
    But the point is, that's not what this place is here for. If you want to talk about old people stuff, go to a forum that's targeted at that audience. At the end of the day, the older members can be an integral part of the community all they like, but this is a forum for 16-25 year olds first and foremost and if you were to create a forum for the over 25s, it would of course create segregation. How would a board for over 25s improve the quality of advice? I don't see how that one works.

Besides, what do you think Anything Goes is for?
    Cuz if not they might go to an over 25's forum and not come back!
    And? That's their problem, not TheSite's. Not to sound cruel, but there are thousands of members on this forum and it gets god knows how many hits and new members every day. Most of them don't stay to post more than a couple of times (which is fine) but for every person that leaves, another person always comes and takes their place.
    a forum for reminiscing about the 90s sounds like a very boring forum :eek2: