Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

School trips to Church

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
My dad seems to think that there is a law that means I don't have to go on school trips to a place of worship etc. Is this true?
I don't go to a faith school is that makes a difference!
Thanks
Xx
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Maybe if you're of another religion i.e. Muslim or Hindu, but dont quote me on that
    i think Lexi99 is right they cant make you go if its against your religion though i dont know if you can say you just dont want to go...
    Akk... Going to have to pretend to have a religion then!
    Xx
    Why dont you wanna go?
    Because I don't see why I should to be honest. I do my religious lessons, fair enough I'll learn about other peoples beliefs... but I'm not going to a place of worship, and being told that what they believe is right.
    Xx
    I'm not really sure why you don't want to go. School trips are the best! (Doesn't matter where to ha).

No seriously... This trip has probably been organised so you can learn more about the Christian faith, not to try and convert you. We had a school trip to a hindu temple, and it was just to learn more about the religion.

I think its a really positive thing to be able to open your mind to other cultures and religions. You don't have to agree to what they say, just be willing to try and understand why they believe the things they do.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    This always narks me, particularly as I am a teacher.

Your parents are able to ask for you to 'opt out' of RE lessons. *You* do not have that power, it has to come from a legal guardian.

RE is not about telling you which faiths are right / wrong or whatever. RE is about educating you about the different cultures, religions, social concepts that are out there. It teaches you acceptance of others. And, if you want to look at it from a literacy point of view, there are many wonderful stories from other religions. I recently taught the story of Rama and Sita, which is a Hindu story, and also teaches good over evil.

Visiting other places of worship is to try and make the different religions more 'real' to you or others. It is to show respect. And to show you how other people live. Yes, they will tell you that they believe xyz (don't know which place you are going to) but if you just open your mind a tiny amount you will realise that they are telling you what *they* believe, not what *you* should believe. It's about, as purplestarfish said, opening your mind to other cultures and religion. Showing respect.

And if nothing else, it's a day out of school.

*sigh*
    Exactly, they're not taking you there to brainwash you. Even if you don't believe what they believe, surely it can only be a good thing to have a better understanding of other people's beliefs and cultures which going to their place of worship will do.

Apart from anything, it will be interesting even if you don't agree, and have others have said, it's time away from the classroom.

I also don't think you'll be able to suddenly pretend to have a religion - for one thing I'm sure your school would know by now and for another, is there a religion that says you can't go and visit another religion's place of worship?!
    A group of us organised for a scientologist to come to our school to speak... Luckily the relevant members of staff agreed and he came, and it was a really eye-opening experience. I disagreed with so much of what came out of his mouth, but thats what makes peoples' beliefs so interesting.... that they're all different.

However he was able to answer our questions and backup his points. Didn't mean we agreed with what he said (some of his reasoning seemed to me just absurd) And no - he didn't try to convert us to scientology! He showed us a promotional video... but even then that wasn't to try and convert us.
    A group of us organised for a scientologist to come to our school to speak... Luckily the relevant members of staff agreed and he came, and it was a really eye-opening experience. I disagreed with so much of what came out of his mouth, but thats what makes peoples' beliefs so interesting.... that they're all different.

However he was able to answer our questions and backup his points. Didn't mean we agreed with what he said (some of his reasoning seemed to me just absurd) And no - he didn't try to convert us to scientology! He showed us a promotional video... but even then that wasn't to try and convert us.

Exactly - it's about learning to understand and appreciate everyone as an individual.

I am not religious. I teach a lot of RE and I always start by telling the children that I am not religious. I think RE is one of the most interesting subjects out there because it is so *real* to different cultures / groups of people. Alas, it tends to be a subject that is put on the backburner a lot because there is more of an emphasis on maths / literacy, which is rather sad.

Oh, and because you don't agree with a certain politicians beliefs, would you stop going to a politics class when you are taught about them? No.
    They dont try and force you into thinking that what they say is right, they may however say that they believe or have faith in what they think is right.
    I think some people here are being a bit harsh, and assuming that B-A's desire not to go is because she's closed-minded, or an awkward adolescent.

I think it's perfectly acceptable for her not to want to visit a place of worship if she doesn't want to, and it doesn't mean she's being ignorant or intolerant. You can learn about different faiths without visiting their places of worship. I think you're being very grown up and mature, B-A. I wouldn't much like being made to go either.

And the last thing I would ever do is allow a scientologist into a school ffs! If you want to lean what they are all about, there are far more reliable sources than actually talking to a scientologist. That's touchy feely bleeding heart acceptance of everybody's batshit views taken to a ridiculous level. They are a cult who try to indoctrinate young people and aim to extract large amounts of cash from their followers. I think they should be banned from talking to children!

But I think faith schools should be banned anyway, so I have pretty extreme views on the subject.

Stand up for what you believe in B-A :)
    if you just open your mind a tiny amount you will realise that they are telling you what *they* believe, not what *you* should believe. It's about, as purplestarfish said, opening your mind to other cultures and religion. Showing respect.

And if nothing else, it's a day out of school.

*sigh*

This is all really patronising. You wouldn't tell me that I ought to go to a church or synagogue and have them tell me what they believe, or accuse me of not having an open mind or showing respect. So you shouldn't assume that of B-A.
    ermmm.. I would. I'm an atheist, but I take the time to understanf other people's beliefs
    Its not really sbout standing up for your beliefs, this is school!

A place you go to learn, learn about other religions and what better place than the place of worship?
    Big Gay wrote: »
    ermmm.. I would. I'm an atheist, but I take the time to understanf other people's beliefs

I'm an atheist and I take the time to understand other people's beliefs. Doesn't require me to visit their places of worship or listen to their sermons, though. There are plenty of ways to exhibit open-mindedness. If you're going to call me small-minded or lacking in respect, because I don't want to go to church, then you're being pretty small-minded and disrespectful yourself, as you know nothing about me, my beliefs, or my attitudes towards other people's beliefs and faiths.
    it's perfectly ok to go into a place of worship and look at it from an objective point of view. if you dont find that sort of thing interesting then dont go but i really dont think the trip would be about converting you.
    Spoken to my dad, he says I am not going.
    And, they aren't taking us to teach us about the religion... my teacher is a Christian, and he is taking us to his church, to meet the vicar person that preaches to them. Why should I go and listen to him preaching?

Thank you Jamelia, I'm not being narrow minded... I'm perfectly happy to learn about peoples religion. But I don't believe I should go to their place of worship, why should I? A place of worship is there for the people of that faith, I am not of their faith and I do not believe what they believe...So why do I need to go?
    I don't go to Church outside of school, I'm not going just because it's in school. I don't do religious assemblies anyway, so I think my teacher knows I am not going on the trip.
    Xx
    I personally think that anyone who withdraws their child from religious education is taking the easy way out. If you believe in whatever you believe in with any conviction then learning about other peoples faiths, their ministers, their place of worship, etc, should be an interesting contrast to whatever you do yourself and if you're an atheiest be an interesting observation of why you have chosen that path. IF you've got an objective view then you should be able to listen to what a preacher says much in the same way you listen to what an english teacher says.

If you/your guardian feel the need to hide away from all other faiths then to me it's just that, hiding.
    No, it's my choice not my parents. They just have to sign the letter. And I'm not hiding, I just don't want to spend my time in a Church when I could be learning science.
    Xx
    jamelia wrote: »
    This is all really patronising. You wouldn't tell me that I ought to go to a church or synagogue and have them tell me what they believe, or accuse me of not having an open mind or showing respect. So you shouldn't assume that of B-A.

Actually, I would. Particularly if it is part of your education, teaching you about other cultures and religions. Which, in this case, it is.
    Actually, I would. Particularly if it is part of your education, teaching you about other cultures and religions. Which, in this case, it is.

Think what you like of me then... but if I was refusing to go to a Church because I was of a different faith, you wouldn't say it. So what's the difference? Beliefs are beliefs, why do I need to put the word "religion" round them for them to be respected?
    Xx
    Oh, and LittleMissy, my mum is a teacher at a Catholic school and she doesn't want me involved in trips to Churches etc
    Xx
    jamelia wrote: »
    I'm an atheist and I take the time to understand other people's beliefs. Doesn't require me to visit their places of worship or listen to their sermons, though. There are plenty of ways to exhibit open-mindedness. If you're going to call me small-minded or lacking in respect, because I don't want to go to church, then you're being pretty small-minded and disrespectful yourself, as you know nothing about me, my beliefs, or my attitudes towards other people's beliefs and faiths.

The difference is this is part of education. And nobody was calling you small minded or lacking in respect. I think it is a rather sad reflection of society that there is a lack of openness about going to a church / synagogue / scientology place without people thinking that you are going there to be converted rather than for an educational visit. Which, in the case of the OP, is what is being discussed. And to refuse an educational visit because 'i don't see why i should' is a shit reason. Would you say the same about a history trip to the tower of london, or a science visit to the science museum, or an english visit to stratford? I doubt it very much.
    Oh, and LittleMissy, my mum is a teacher at a Catholic school and she doesn't want me involved in trips to Churches etc
    Xx

To be perfectly honest, I don't believe you for a second.

And on that note, I shall bow out.
    To be perfectly honest, I don't believe you for a second.

And on that note, I shall bow out.

Oh my god! She is a year three teacher at a Catholic school! I'll fucking send you a link to the website with her picture on it if you really don't believe me! Why would I lie about my mum?! She isn't Catholic, she only works there because jobs are short at the moment!
    Oh my god! She is a year three teacher at a Catholic school! I'll fucking send you a link to the website with her picture on it if you really don't believe me! Why would I lie about my mum?! She isn't Catholic, she only works there because jobs are short at the moment!

Thanks, but you don't need to PM me to prove a point or whatever the hell it was to do. What I don't believe isn't the fact that she is a teacher but the fact that she is a teacher in a Catholic school and doesn't want you going on school trips to places of worship to *learn* about them, not to be converted.

But, as I said, I am bowing out of this thread so please don't PM me information that I couldn't actually care about again.
    For fuck sake, I really can't imagine you being a teacher. I'd hate you as my teacher you clearly don't respect other peoples views do you? I dread to think what you'd do if a child objected to going to a church in your class! Are we not allowed our own views? Or do we have to be told what to think by you?
    For fuck sake, I really can't imagine you being a teacher. I'd hate you as my teacher you clearly don't respect other peoples views do you? I dread to think what you'd do if a child objected to going to a church in your class! Are we not allowed our own views? Or do we have to be told what to think by you?

:lol:

Good one :thumb:
    *sarcastic laughter* Aren't you a lovely person.
This discussion has been closed.