Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Period pains

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Sometimes but not always, I would say 1 out of every 2 periods I have, I end up with the following symptoms -

- heavy cramping, which I can make better by breathing deeply and slowly like they tell you to when you go into labour, and also by sitting slightly slouched, rather than curled up.

- diarrhoea, I've always thought this was caused by pressure on my bowels. I need to use the toilet a lot more when I'm on the first day of my period. Usually using the toilet takes some pressure off my cramps and makes them not so bad, but they're still bad in these 1 out of 2 times.

- vomiting, I've no idea why though maybe it's hormones?

- hot and cold sweats, most times fainting too. For me it's a well known fact standing up too quickly can cause me to faint - not just the usual light-headed feeling you get when you stand up sometimes, and if my temperature changes dramatically too I sometimes faint. I went to the Doctor about this once and I had a blood pressure test, but there wasn't anything wrong. I just wonder why I faint sometimes when I'm on my period.

These symptoms only really happen if I come on when I'm in a public place; if I'm at home and I start my period, I NEVER experience these symptoms. Any advice/answers? I've got important exams coming up and the way my cycle is at the moment if it's going to be regular, I could risk experiencing these symptoms during two of my exams. I'd rather not, but I can't take any painkillers like Codeine because my concentration won't be as good.

Comments

• Options
    I used to suffer terribly with period pains when I was younger. Long before I was sexually active, my doctor put me on The Pill to try to alleviate the worst of the symptoms.
    - heavy cramping, which I can make better by breathing deeply and slowly like they tell you to when you go into labour, and also by sitting slightly slouched, rather than curled up.

You might also try masturbation - yes, seriously, an orgasm is a great way of releasing the cramps.
    - diarrhoea, I've always thought this was caused by pressure on my bowels. I need to use the toilet a lot more when I'm on the first day of my period. Usually using the toilet takes some pressure off my cramps and makes them not so bad, but they're still bad in these 1 out of 2 times.

I get this too for a day or two. I would think this is a direct result of the cramping. The muscles of the colon contract and relax continuously to move the waste matter along. The waste in the first part of the colon is quite liquid. Normally, it moves along quite slowly, and most of the water is reabsorbed. If the cramps are causing the waste to be eliminated too quickly, it will not have sufficient time to form solid stools - hence the diarrhoea.
    - vomiting, I've no idea why though maybe it's hormones?

Possibly. I don't generally suffer from this particular problem, but I have been literally sick from pain once or twice in my life.
    - hot and cold sweats, most times fainting too. For me it's a well known fact standing up too quickly can cause me to faint - not just the usual light-headed feeling you get when you stand up sometimes, and if my temperature changes dramatically too I sometimes faint. I went to the Doctor about this once and I had a blood pressure test, but there wasn't anything wrong. I just wonder why I faint sometimes when I'm on my period.

I used to faint a lot in my 20's and early 30's. My balance was affected too while I was on my period. Unfortunately, my faints were coupled with a sort of fit, which scared the bejesus out of my first husband, so he insisted I saw a neurologist. Luckily, the neurologist assured me that it was nothing abnormal and I would grow out of it. Touch wood, I have.

I probably haven't been much help, but hopefully you can draw some reassurance from the fact that my symptoms were similar.
  • Options
    Thanks a lot!

It's not just the fact that I know someone else has the same symptoms around their time of month that's reassuring, just that someone ... well, I don't know. I know a lot of people who get bad ones, but your answers did help, although there's just one more thing -
    You might also try masturbation - yes, seriously, an orgasm is a great way of releasing the cramps

I will, though I've always tended to avoid it whilst on my period because of the fact that it's more sensitive and tender down there. But thankyou for the advice, it helped me feel a lot better and I'll remember it all for next time :)