Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Sweat the bed?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi all,

For the past few months or so my boyfriend has been sweating so much in bed, its not every night but 8 nights out of 10 i wake up and the bed is litary soaking with his sweat, the pillow is damp, the bottom sheet is wet as is the duvet cover. Its becoming a real problem, as soon as i've changed the sheets, that same night, he will go and sweat all over them and it stinks!!! I have trouble sleeping becuase of the smell and i can't keep changing the sheets every night as i only have so many of them and i don't have a tumble dryer so getting them dry is a massive problem as i have no where to put them.

we have tried sleeping with the window open but this makes no diffrence and i've tried taking the quilt off him but again he still sweats everywhere. Has anybody else ever had this? I've tried asking him to go to the doctors but he keeps putting it off.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Has he always been like this or has it did it start at some point?

If its something that started then he should definitely go to the doctors about it, its not particularly normal and its not fair on you. Could always go for kicking him out onto the sofa until he goes, that might drive the point home.

On a practical front, any chance of persuading him to wear PJs? That way at least most of the sweat would go onto the PJs not the sheets and they're easier to wash. If opening the window and ditching the quilt hasn't made any difference then its not like he can claim PJs will make things worse. Tesco have loads of perfectly reasonable mens PJs.
    I presume that he is not much older than you, therefore discounting male menopause?

Assuming that he is not on any medications, night sweats can be caused by diet such as red meat, garlic-based food, onions and highly spicy foods. You could watch what he eats and see if there is any excessive sweating that night.

Or is could be stress.

The worst case scenario could point to serious infections such as like endocarditis, AIDS or even cancer. He ought to see a doctor really, if his sweating cannot be otherwise explained.
    Hi,

Thanks for your replies, yes it is only a recent thing, i had nagged him about the doctors and he says he will make an appointment. I got him to wear PJs last night and they soaked up most of the sweat :thumb: but some did still reach the bed but i'm going to have to strip the sheets (again) and febreeze the matress. I have considrered asking him to sleep on sofa but then i don't want that to stink as well! x
    Putting a towel between the sheets and the mattress should help protect the mattress if you haven't got washable mattress covers.

Better idea than the sofa, chuck him onto a towel on the floor until he makes a doctors appointment.
    It has nothing to do with him being hot. I was very sick last fall. It was a serious bad case of the flu or something (at least symptom wise) but way worse.

I sweated A LOT in the nights and would wake up several times a night to find the sheets and pillow soaking, no exaggeration. I put bath towels underneath me so I could just exchange them when I wake up, because I was too grossed out to go to sleep again in a wet bed.

It stopped when I got better, but I remember not being hot, rather being cold.

Was this always a problem or did it start some day? I have no real advise as this probably is - I reckon - neurological and I don't know the cause.
    night sweats can be a sign of something serious so he should get it checked