Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

remote access. whats the damage?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What I would like to know here is... after a format and reinstall, are there any sectors on the hard drive that are still technically compromised. for instance if i were to attack a computer I would look at how unformat works if there is such a command or instal something with the boot sectors.

they wern't connected long enough to have modified firmware, but the whole thing stinks. it's the worst feature of windows. i wouldn't even ask my best friend with remote access whose in the same room as me.

Comments

• Options
    Search on Google for a device called Sharkoon. This is a USB lead that lets you connect 3.5" and 2.5" hard disks to a normal USB port. I would use this to slave your friend's compromised disk to your own PC and do a virus scan from your OS. Yes, it may be formatted now but you'll want to check for the master boot record because some virii can hide in there. If the AV gives you the all-clear, then I think you're safe to run your friend's computer off their original disk again.
  • Options
    I'd not worry at all. Nobody this side of <unnamed intelligence services> would bother with such things.

Delete the partition table, recreate, format, install. That'd clear up pretty much anything on there. :)
  • Options
    Thank you both.