Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Moody external hard drive

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
I got an external hard drive (western digital, passport, 320GB). I connected it to my computer and immediately reformatted it, making 2 partitions: 100GB NTFS and 200GB ext4.
After the reformatting, the drive wasn't recognised at all. Not even a partition manager (either the one I used -GParted- or the one in windows) acknowledged its existence.
I unplugged and replugged it a few times and in the end both partitions got recognised. Now it takes several seconds (a much longer time than my other 2-partitioned external drive does) but it seems to work.

Do you think it's ok, or faulty?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Do you think it's ok, or faulty?

You could get Knoppix to take it apart for you.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I had it replaced. The new one seems to be OK but I'll wait until tomorrow before I load files in it.
    Mist wrote: »
    You could get Knoppix to take it apart for you.

:lol::lol::lol:

It does(did) sound like a hardware problem. The drive should be discovered when plugged in, even if the OS doesn't like the filesystem in use. :)
    I had this problem with mine, it wouldn't recognized in any OS, it was confusing itself each time it was plugged it. After loads of tries it finally recognized in the systems - it just needed to be "flushed" so to say.