Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Kalms

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm going through a rough time atm, several things in my life seem to be going down the pan and as a result I'm pretty stressed. My mums just been and bought me some kalms tablets to help me out, and it says to take 2 tablets 3 times a day after meals - which seems quite alot. Now as I'm stressed/down I tend to lose my appetite so I'm not sure if I should take these when I'm not eating very much? And do they work, because generally people say they dont?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've heard they work well in combination with yoga type breathing techniques. I would try taking one after meals, and use the thirty mins or so that tablets take to ingest, to sit calmly somewhere and try practising some counting and breathing combos. After 30 mins, if you don't feel any calmer, try taking another tablet.
    I've tried them, but they're a fairly gentle medication iyswim, I think they do help but it's mostly psychosymatic. They tast nice and it is rather soothing just to suck one for a while. I very much doubt you'll feel drugged up by taking them as often as they say, or be able to overdose on them as they're herbal. If you're dealing with major anxiety then go to the docs for something stronger; I was surprised to be diagnosed with an anxiety disorder when I described to the docs my anxiety.

Hope you could make some sense of that!
    I've had anxiety in the past and got put on beta blockers for a while. But because I've got so much to do atm I don't want to get doped up and dependant on something from the docs like I did before. If it continues then I'll probably go back but I had so much trouble getting doctors to listen to me before, I had to see 3 different ones before any of them took me seriously so I want to avoid doctors if I can help it.
    I'm on beta blockers for migraines, they help with anxiety eh? I don't have anxiety but, I guess that can only be a bonus. The major con is they mess with my fingers, my raynauds is a right bitch at the moment.
    katralla wrote: »
    I'm on beta blockers for migraines, they help with anxiety eh? I don't have anxiety but, I guess that can only be a bonus. The major con is they mess with my fingers, my raynauds is a right bitch at the moment.

Yeah I got put on them to help control panic attacks while I was on the waiting list to see a therapist and they worked really well, put probably too well because it took me a while to wean myself off them because I got pretty dependant on them.
    I wonder how many I would need to take to feel a 'good' effect?
    Dunno think it depends on the strength you're on, I used to be on propanolol 20mg ones I think and they started working straight away. My friends thought I was on drugs when I started taking them because I changed over night - didn't help with the underlying problems but they helped me get through the day because I was at the stage where I couldnt get through a full day of school.
    Are they a form of homeopathic remedy?

If so, then they don't work.

They will have a placebo effect if you believe they will work, but nothing more than that.
    Well yes jamelia, but the placebo effect won't work unless we all go - yeah try them, I've ehard it works for some people...

And propranolol is what I'm on, 40mg twice a day. don't do anything 'good' to me, wonder if I can sell them...
    Well yes jamelia, but the placebo effect won't work unless we all go - yeah try them, I've ehard it works for some people...

And propranolol is what I'm on, 40mg twice a day. don't do anything 'good' to me, wonder if I can sell them...

Depends what you're on them for I think, they just helped calm me down a bit so I wasn't going spazzy with panic attacks, so they just made me normal I guess, compared to being paranoid and freaking out all the time.
    Yeah totally, I realise by saying that they don't work I undermine the only possibility there is of them working, which is placebo. But that involves lying, which is a weird position to be in.

Some interesting ethical questions about the use of placebos I guess...

I know people who swear by Rescue Remedy, why not give that a shot.
    Yeah ive used rescue remedy before, it was quite good, will prob buy some more
    have you tried 5htp
    Personally i dont have any faith in something that you can just buy over the counter i see them rather like all the diet pills you can buy, if they really worked then we would all be very happy and very slim bunnys.
    I sufferd really awful panic attacks i still have them but have learnt to control them.
    At my worst time it was so bad i was just going from one attack to the next and was on edge all day, i could'nt go to school and i had no social life.
    I was admitted to hospital one night and given Diazepam as an emergency treatment, well i know people are against using these types of drugs but for me it was a revelation, i slept for hours and hours and when i woke up i felt so good it was an amazing feeling.
    I only used them for a few nights but they seemd to break the cycle i was stuck in and enabled me to look at how i could deal with he attacks day to day.
    I am not saying this is right for you my point is you need to find something to help you relax enough to break the cycle so maybe if you believe something will work then it will but in my own experiance and i really hope you are not suffering as badly as i did i needed something rather powerful.
    Good luck and i would be interested to know if anything helps x
    I'm too honest with my Drs to get Diazepam, they know I would only play with it for fun. Perhaps I should be less honest? chuckle.
    have you tried 5htp

no, what is it?
    I wonder how many I would need to take to feel a 'good' effect?
    You don't get a "good" effect from Propranolol as it just deals with the physical side of anxiety, it's not like benzos. Pretty dull really.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    no, what is it?

its a supplement you can buy from holland and barrett and health food shops, which boosts your seratonin levels. I have found it absolutely brilliant for reducing my anxiety and depression
    its a supplement you can buy from holland and barrett and health food shops, which boosts your seratonin levels. I have found it absolutely brilliant for reducing my anxiety and depression

ooo, I'll look into that! Thanks :)