Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pedo priests

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The worrying...

The worrying and sickening thing about all of this is for it to actually get-out from within the bounds of the religious establishment means it must be on a worryingly large scale, stupidly big.

Am I correct in thinking that nobody is going to stand trial? Arseholes.
    Am I correct in thinking that nobody is going to stand trial? Arseholes.

I had hoped, from the Pope's letter to the Irish, that he intended that guilty priests should face justice in the courts.
    You betrayed the trust that was placed in you by innocent young people and their parents, and you must answer for it before Almighty God and before properly constituted tribunals ...

... God’s justice summons us to give an account of our actions and to conceal nothing. Openly acknowledge your guilt, submit yourselves to the demands of justice, but do not despair of God’s mercy.

... but time will tell.
    A few weeks ago, I wrote briefly that I didn't think this would lead to a great exodus from the Catholic religion. I am beginning to think I spoke too soon. People are just getting angrier and angrier about this. I notice that today, the Archbishop of Canterbury is due to speak out about the Catholic Church in Ireland, saying that it has "lost all credibility". Given the state of the church right now, it's hard to disagree with him. It's going to take a hell of a long time for that credibility to be restored. That is if the leadership even want that to happen in the first place.

The signs are that many don't. One of the more disturbing developments recently is the changes that are taking place at masses here in Ireland now. I can't help but notice a section has quietly been sneaked in where people now have to pray for the Pope. Yet not a single word is uttered about the hundreds, possibly thousands of children who have been abused in the care of the priests who were meant to be looking after them over the years. Whichever prat came up with this idea ought to be sacked. It makes it look like the upper echelons of the Church are interested solely in saving the Pope's bacon, and it doesn't help when the Vatican go on about media conspiracies, smear campaigns and other such vacuous drivel.

Does the church honestly want to change? I'm not sure - and I think it's a crying shame, as there are countless good Catholics out there who do good things and live good lives.
    And they're still doing absolutely anything they can to avoid consequences for their crimes. Story.
    Hartford, Connecticut (CNN) -- A bill in Connecticut's legislature that would remove the statute of limitations on child sexual abuse cases has sparked a fervent response from the state's Roman Catholic bishops, who released a letter to parishioners Saturday imploring them to oppose the measure.

Under current Connecticut law, sexual abuse victims have 30 years past their 18th birthday to file a lawsuit. The proposed change to the law would rescind that statute of limitations.

The proposed change to the law would put "all Church institutions, including your parish, at risk," says the letter, which was signed by Connecticut's three Roman Catholic bishops.

The letter is posted on the Web site of the Connecticut Catholic Public Affairs Conference, the public policy and advocacy office of Connecticut's Catholic bishops. It asks parishioners to contact their legislators in opposition of the bill.

The "legislation would undermine the mission of the Catholic Church in Connecticut, threatening our parishes, our schools, and our Catholic Charities," the letter says.

The Catholic archdiocese of Hartford also published a pulpit announcement on its Web site, which was to be read during Mass on Sunday, urging parishioners to express opposition to the bill.

So there you have it, right from the horse's mouth. More concerned with protecting the institution than justice for the victims or cleaning up the church's act. But I'm sure that won't come as a surprise to anyone. Catholics should be backing this move, if they want to get rid of the corrupt hierarchy in their church, and make it fit to run institutions with a duty of care to children. Incidentally, there is also talk of a case being built to issue an arrest warrant for the Pope in the UK, which would pretty much mean his visit would be cancelled. And wouldn't it be a shame if we didn't have to shell out for that? Something tells me it won't happen though, somehow. And yes, there are countless good Catholic who do good things with their life. Unfortunately, giving money to the Catholic church has never been one of these good things. I think even if they do go to church, they should be boycotting the collection plate right now.
    I read somewhere (I think it might have been The Times) that Hitchens and Dawkins were seeing if there was a viable case to have the Pope (should I capitalise 'pope'?) arrested when he comes to England later in the year - I forget whether I read in on April 1st.
    I read it was Johann Hari. Not that it matters. None of them are lawyers, so they're not really in a position to comment on the viability of it.
    I read it was Johann Hari. Not that it matters. None of them are lawyers, so they're not really in a position to comment on the viability of it.

I think this is the article I read: The Times

Man, it'd give me a good giggle to see the Pope being arrested. :D
    HAHAHAHAHA Just had this image of the Pope in prison. "No, No, don't rape me. It is a sin! A sin on so many levels!"
    Xx
    It's all a Jewish conspiracy!

Unbefuckinglievable.
    In regards to the proposed arresting of the Pope by Christopher Hitchens and Dastardly Dick Dawkins, it's worth remembering that the first is basically just a left-wing version of his irritating brother, whereas Dawkins is just a grandstanding little arsehole. It will, of course, come to nothing. Whereas Johann Hari is just an annoying cunt who is paid to write utter bullshit for various left-wing newspapers.

As for the link Aladdin published, that seems another example of The Observer's increasingly sensationalist and questionable reporting. Something just doesn't stand up there.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    As for the link Aladdin published, that seems another example of The Observer's increasingly sensationalist and questionable reporting. Something just doesn't stand up there.

This rings a bell. What about your own "sensationalist and questionable" postings? ;)

Oh dear dear dear... so it the news are bad, it must be a left wing fabrication.

Bravo, Stargalaxy. Fucking Bra-vo! :D
    Christopher Hitchens is nothing like his brother. He's fucking hilarious, for one. He also did a brilliant job of uncovering the bullshit, abuse, missing money and cult of suffering surrounding the "great" Mother Teresa. Anyway SG, you're just doing exactly the same thing as the Catholic church and just attacking the critics rather than addressing the points they're making. I first heard about Dawkins and Hitchens links to this in that massively liberal, lefty, anti-Catholic newspaper The Times yesterday, in an opinion column supporting the calls. The only reason the Pope hasn't taken a harder line on this and made some heads roll is because the current evidence is that the current Pope was complicit in all of this. He can't take a hard line, because he would be the biggest target in any criminal proceedings. So instead, the church are trying the age-old tactic of smearing anyone criticising them. It's fucking pathetic, and yet more evidence that they are still not an organisation that takes child abuse seriously.

If a case can be built against the pope, of course he should be arrested and charged. As should be the case for any of the other church leaders involved. I just wonder how much political will there is to do so in largely Catholic countries with Catholics in charge. Which is why it might come down to individual groups of lawyers to build the case instead.
    I was just going to post that ^. And just in case SG claims it's some kind of left wing gayist conspiracy, here's the same story from the Times:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article7096149.ece

Are these cunts taking the piss? How long before they progress to blaming women? Or the children themselves?
    They already blamed children, claiming some want to be raped.
    JavaKrypt wrote: »
    They already blamed children, claiming some want to be raped.

Sorry man, you'll need a source for a claim like that, otherwise we'd need to pull it.
    Ugh, okay. If i find the source again I'll post it.
    Here. There are MANY sites publishing this story. http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news/publish/article_14332.shtml
    Thanks, god that's horrible to read.
    The Spanish clergy- or at least the bishops and those in higher positions of power- are about the most nauseating bastards to be found within the organisation. They make Vatican officials look like hippies.
    Teagan wrote: »
    This rings a bell. What about your own "sensationalist and questionable" postings? ;)
    Probably hadn't been sexed up enough for your liking, I bet.

Right, let's get this clear. I think that this Dawkins/Hitchens stunt will come to nothing - I don't think they'll be able to get anywhere near the Pope, considering how much security will be around him when he visits the UK. Then again, some mentally ill woman did manage to approach him last Christmas, so who knows? I happen to think they're both fruitcakes, but even a stopped clock is right twice a day. They've got some valid criticism in there of the Catholic Church that I totally agree with - I just think that this is not the best way to go about making it.
    The security surrounding the pope will count for nothing if there is a court order to arrest him, since his security will be the ones with the obligation to arrest him. Obviously there is practically zero chance of the pope being arrested, but if there is an arrest warrant on his head, he won't be coming to the UK any time soon. If he came to the UK while there was an arrest warrant, he would be arrested, which is why he won't. And the government wouldn't be able to do a thing to stop it either, because it would be for a court to decide. I think the main issue would be in convincing the court that he does not have diplomatic immunity under the current rules of the UN. I don't know enough about law to know how likely that is, but there is certainly a precedent with the arrest of Augusto Pinochet. And the fact of the matter is that The Vatican have signed up to UN treaties regarding the protection of children, so there would also be a potential breach of those agreements too.
    The Pope is visiting us....he brought his check book!
    I think it proves that the Catholic church is not the true christian church otherwise its priests would not behave badly. I think one of the problems is that church has a celibacy rule for its priests naturally it attracts homosexuals to the job. Not that all homosexuals are pedophiles but ones that are likely to be attracted to the priest hood because it gives them power over other people, especially young people.
    Goldsword wrote: »
    I think it proves that the Catholic church is not the true christian church otherwise its priests would not behave badly. I think one of the problems is that church has a celibacy rule for its priests naturally it attracts homosexuals to the job. Not that all homosexuals are pedophiles but ones that are likely to be attracted to the priest hood because it gives them power over other people, especially young people.
    Piss off.
    I think one of the problems is that church has a celibacy rule for its priests naturally it attracts homosexuals to the job.
    Hmm... I'd like to see an explanation of this logic and ideally some evidence to back it up, please. Otherwise, people may come to the assumption that you're just a troll.
    Hmm... I'd like to see an explanation of this logic and ideally some evidence to back it up, please. Otherwise, people may come to the assumption that you're just a troll.
    I think the link I posted on page 5 sums up where he gets his logic from? http://news.pinkpaper.com/NewsStory.aspx?id=2742
    Send in the troops.
    Shock and awe on vatican city.
    Think of the loot to be had too.
    Pay of most of the world debts I'd imagine.
    Send in the troops now.
    They have weapons of MASS deception.

:rolleyes: Uh huh.
    Has anybody asked Jesus his opinion on this? (Catholics believe in Jesus... right?) ;)

Xx