Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Pet names for guys

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What do you think of guys being called cute pet names like babe, baby, honey, gorgeous etc

I've never called a boyfriend a cute nickname like that (only in my head) because I wasnt sure if he would like it.

So if you do, what do you like to be called?

Comments

• Options
    Urgh I hate them! I am not impressed if somebody calls me babe, darling, sweetheart, gorgeous...urgh please just don't!

I have never had a pet name for an ex and they never have for me, saying that I am very un-romantic so this probably explains my hate for them :yes:
  • Options
    Have loads of completely random pet names for my hubby and he has names for me. They aren't 'cute' though.
  • Options
    It's ok and sweet from time to time, but not if you are called like that all the time.
  • Options
    I only use pet names in a sarcastic manner - 'See you later, honeybunch'
  • Options
    I only ask because I never have had a cute nickname for a boyfriend but only cos I thought they wouldnt appreciate it but i guess it depends on the name??
  • Options
    and if you overuse it or not.
  • Options
    I invariably call my husband "darling" where we are having a private conversation, even if there are other people around. I only ever use his first name if I need to attract his attention when we are in a group. "Hey, darling", from across the room isn't guaranteed effective LOL. It's different with a long term relationship than with a boyfriend though.
  • Options
    I quite like them, little made up ones between the two of you is cute.
  • Options
    grace wrote: »
    I only use pet names in a sarcastic manner.

Same. The more cheesy and embarrassing, the better :D
  • Options
    in compleeeete privacy!
  • Options
    Oh yea, in privacy, I wouldnt start going all mushy on him in public, but it would just be really awkward if I had a nickname for him and he didnt like it or something
  • Options
    I hate anything generic and impersonal. :)
  • Options
    I only use these when texting, when we are face to face i just call her by her name
  • Options
    My ex girlfriend first told me that she hated being called 'babe'. But she called me babe or baby all the time!

The girl I'm seeing at the moment calls me 'baby' but only in texts.
  • Options
    I call my friends baby/hunny and sometimes sweetie. But, normally if they are upset like "Aww baby what's wrong?" But I'll call people babes when I say hello like "Alright babes!" and sometimes darling if I'm taking the piss like "Alright darrliinnn"

Oh, and some of my friends (girls) will say hello with "Heyy sexy" or smexxi.

I use them with people I'm dating too though, just not as much.
    Xx
  • Options
    My ex use to call me Princess...something to do with something he found on the net of some mystical creature a woman all men wanted or something so he called me Princess cause he thought of me when he saw that...pretty sweet of him.
    I use to call him peter the pig....cant remember where it came from. Probably when we were druken and messing only called him that in priavte or through texts. To clarify he looked nothing like a pig. He proabably the most beautiful man i know
  • Options
    I actually don't call my other half by his actual name unless we're around other people. If we're in public, it's usually 'hey you' or 'oi', but in private we have lots of stupid names for each other :p.

That said, they've all come out of being stupid about stuff. Like, I used to call him 'bumface' because it was stupid and annoying but it just stuck after a while. Then it was 'wombleface' and 'monkeyface' because we used to make faces at each other and it made him look like a womble (and apparently it made me look like a monkey...) :D.

But uh, never in public :no:.
  • Options
    hahaha um. First bf he called me kitty. So he was puppy. That went on for pretty much the length of our relationship (15 months) and unsure exactly when it started so maybe a year.

Others, usually hun, or babe, but the latter not often.

Others in a scarcastic/bubbly/taking the piss manner: eg "morning sunshine" etc
  • Options
    I am completely, inexplicably unable to come up with nicknames for people. Totally beyond my talents. My boyfriend has a number of them for me: 'Scoofer' (because while he's mega-neat and tidy, I like things to be a little scruffy around the edges: he calls me untidying things a bit 'scoofing'), 'Loris' in the mornings or when I'm sleepy, because apparently I look like one of these: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9f-6jygRJk and a couple of others.

I, however, call him by his name. And sometimes 'stupidhead' if he's annoying me. :thumb:
  • Options
    he always calls me darling. I have loads of pet names for him though
  • Options
    my boyfriend calls me knobhead as an affectionate nickname :thumb: ha...he also calls me pea...? i call him treacle..but not in public.
  • Options
    my boyfriend calls me knobhead as an affectionate nickname :thumb: ha...he also calls me pea...? i call him treacle..but not in public.

pea is cute, if it just wouldn't sound so much like pee. :D
  • Options
    okay he calls me elipea which is a mixture of my first name and pea...is that any cuter? haha
  • Options
    We call each other random names in private. Before I started dating I swore I'd never do such a thing, it was lame etc but now I throw all sorts of random things at him from being 'my dent/damage' to a puppy. I also call him a sheep regularly. I keep coming up with stuff and I've noticed he tends to copy that but sometimes brings something new to the mix. Like one word I don't know how to begin to translate but it pretty much means that he thinks I never slow down and always have to be doing something.

I'm however not sure I like it when he wants to tease me that he occasionally calls me 'creampuff'. Even worse, it's all my fault as I brought the word up as a joke. Ouch! ;)
  • Options
    Jaloux wrote: »
    We call each other random names in private. Before I started dating I swore I'd never do such a thing, it was lame etc but now I throw all sorts of random things at him from being 'my dent/damage' to a puppy. I also call him a sheep regularly. I keep coming up with stuff and I've noticed he tends to copy that but sometimes brings something new to the mix. Like one word I don't know how to begin to translate but it pretty much means that he thinks I never slow down and always have to be doing something.

I'm however not sure I like it when he wants to tease me that he occasionally calls me 'creampuff'. Even worse, it's all my fault as I brought the word up as a joke. Ouch! ;)

sheep is great. So simple, but so wonderful. :lol: