Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Parents have depression

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Both my parents have had problems with depression for as long as I can remember. Normally during times when they go through down periods it is one or the other. However, recently they seem to have hit a down period together.

I'm struggling to be honest, because I've been trying to move out of the house into my own place for a while, but don't want to go when my parents are like this. I'm not sure if I'm doing more harm than good being there because we don't exactly get on.

A few days ago my dad confided in me that he wanted to kill himself which worried me because he stockpiled pain killers when he had a bad back and I don;t want him to do anything stupid.

Just not sure what to do really.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My dad has depression along with many other things so i know how you feel. x

is there anyway you can get someone to see your dad? im sure if you tell someone he told you he wanted to kill himself and that he has pills at hand then they would talk to him.
    This is not something you should have to deal with on your own and its not fair if it is stopping you moving on.
    I bet your parents would be really upset if they actually realised how they were affecting you.
    I think you need to confide in an Aunt or Uncle or maybe even a grandparent if you think they are up to dealing with this but as i said its to much to be on your shoulders alone at any time of life let alone right now.
    Perhaps your gp can give you some advice.
    Good luck x
    Find the pills and flush them down the loo no seriously you do need to chat to a relative and try to get your dad to see a counseller or his doctor