Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Toilet problems

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
A bit more than a week ago I had gastroenteritis. I'm over it now, but for about a week now I can't make going to the toilet work. I do feel the urge, but when I go only a little bit comes out easily (if anything at all) and while I feel there's more it requires tremendous effort to push and a lot of time. In the end I give up while still feeling the need.

Does anyone have a similar experience, or know what I could do to make it easier and/or how long this is going to last?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Did you take diarrhoea tablets while you were ill? Could you have over-medicated yourself too much the other way? It does sound like there is a blockage of some kind.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    The only medicine I took were a couple of painkillers and something to calm the stomach fluids at some point, and no more than one of that.
    Presuming that you are eating normally, you should be okay now. See the doctor.
    I had a similar problem last year and eating an Ortis block seemed to have done the trick for me. You can get Ortis in 24s or 48s. I went and bought a 48-pack and I only ever needed the 1, so I have 47 left. Typical! At least my pack is usable until July 2011.
    I haven't heard of an 'Ortis block'. Is it for constipation?
    The last few days have been a lot better, but I still feel something staying behind. I think I'll wait a bit more...
    Teagan wrote: »
    I haven't heard of an 'Ortis block'. Is it for constipation?

Yeah it's called Ortis. I said "block(s)" to describe the shape. In fact, the shape and appearance isn't far off from Oxo cubes. The Ortis ones are a bit bigger and you can either eat half a cube or a whole cube. If you've ever eaten fruitbread, then you'll recognise the taste as being quite similar. There are 24 or 48 in the pack (the latter being about £9 IIRC) and you can get it from the likes of Holland & Barrett.
    If you go to the toilet and nothing comes out, don't force it. Try to breathe and relax, see if anything comes out naturally. If not then try again in a couple of hours. Try drinking mint tea as it's good for your digestive system :) Have you eaten anything since the last bout of illness? Something plain such as a slice of toast or anything?
    Are you dehydrated?

What's your diet like? Have you tried upping your fibre intake?
    It seems to have fixed itself since, or at least I think so. I've not had trouble for a few days now...
    Thanks for the replies though :)