Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Airlines start to demand compensation for volcanic ash

BA so far, and I suspect others will follow suit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8629674.stm

No grounds for it IMO. Such is life. Such is capitalism.

In any event, only airlines that have offered full support and help to stranded passengers should be considered. The likes of Easyjet and Cuntair (sorry, Ryanair), who have washed their hands on stranded passengers and aren't even answering the phone- let alone putting them up in emergency accommodation- can go fuck themselves if they even think of asking for compensations.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Aladdin wrote: »
    In any event, only airlines that have offered full support and help to stranded passengers should be considered. The likes of Easyjet and Cuntair (sorry, Ryanair), who have washed their hands on stranded passengers and aren't even answering the phone- let alone putting them up in emergency accommodation- can go fuck themselves if they even think of asking for compensations.

:yes:
  • Options
    Cuntair? There's an internet meme in that...

They can all fuck off if they want compo, as far as I'm concerned. All those people who have had to make alternative arrangements to get home in the last few days won't get anything. Example? Some of my girlfriend's family were over last week from Birmingham and they were due to fly back from Dublin last Thursday. Instead, they had to go down to Dublin to take a ferry to Holyhead. They then had to pay for a taxi back to Brum. The cost of the taxi? Around £210, got no idea how much the ferry was. When they called up their travel insurance company later, they were told that this was an act of God, and therefore they would get nothing.

Which is exactly what Willie Walsh and his cuntish airline should get.
  • Options
    The airlines believe they are due compensation because the decision of whether to fly or not has been unfairly taken out of their hands.

Yes, in the interest of SAFETY!! Jesus, its no-ones fault this happened
  • Options
    Maybe they should sue Iceland... :D
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Sure, let them go to the volcano and ask it for money. I've got no objection there.
  • Options
    well yeah the airlines have lost money, boo hoo.

so have families stranded abroad, the companies the stranded people work for (who are therefore missing workers), other companies related to the airline business (like fuel companies). I don't think the airline companies should press to hard for compensation, especially as travellers won't get a penny.
  • Options
    I told Kerry Katona not to light up that cigarette.
  • Options
    We wanted cash from Iceland, not ash.

Bu-dum.
  • Options
    Should have let the airlines fly and the passengers who were saying they hate Iceland/are annoyed they can't fly because of it. Douchebags. Nature is a inconsiderate bastard when it comes to holidays holidays.

If they even get a smidgen of compensation, it really shows what side the government is on. The excuse best not be "economic recovery" either.
  • Options
    Who exactly would be paying out this compensation? Ah yes, the Government. Apparently because the USA bailed out the airlines after 9/11 - resulting in a series of zombie airlines - this now means UK Plc should pay out, despite them having absolutely nothing to do with this natural event. Now, will somebody please put the monocular Scottish cunt back into the bunker before he hears about yet another way to waste our money?

His profligacy with public money has already been exposed once today.
  • Options

They've got no money...;)
  • Options
    BA so far, and I suspect others will follow suit

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8629674.stm

No grounds for it IMO. Such is life. Such is capitalism.

We usually call them SleazyJet and Pikey Air - but yep, they have lost a lot of money. It was BA plane I think that had a problem with volcanic ash years ago, they need to offset the loss against the potential losses after an accident - look at PanAm - Lockerbie destroyed them.
  • Options
    I think it's disgusting that airlines are demanding compensation when a lot of us who are actally stranded won't be getting a penny from our insurance because it is an "act of god".

Maybe the airlines should consider legal action against God?

I mean, apparently it's ok for the insurance companies to hold him liable.
  • Options
    It's no good- he won't show up in Court.
  • Options
    If we have to bail out yet another industry then capitalism is unfit for the twenty first century.
    If theres money to made then let the banks and other investors put the money up.
  • Options
    If the decision of the flight regulation bodies was excessively cautious then perhaps some compensation is appropriate. I can't fault the initial response - in an unknown situation safety should be paramount - however it's possible moves could have been made earlier to relax the restrictions (I don't know, nor do I know how long it should take for them to reach a considered decision - I'm just saying there are possible grounds)
  • Options
    Big Gay wrote: »
    If the decision of the flight regulation bodies was excessively cautious then perhaps some compensation is appropriate. I can't fault the initial response - in an unknown situation safety should be paramount - however it's possible moves could have been made earlier to relax the restrictions (I don't know, nor do I know how long it should take for them to reach a considered decision - I'm just saying there are possible grounds)

Well to me that would be a legal claim and not a bail out.
  • Options
    Oh dear, did the airline companies not take out insurance against such things? What a shame. Tough shit. They're in the same boat as every other victim of dodgy insurance companies then, aren't they?
  • Options
    I genuinly feel for all affected here, I think insurance should cover this from a personal perspective at least. My brother lost out bigtime, he'd been saving, not a day off fox six months - sob stoey yes, but it's out of order - he's got top line insurance and they are not liable. Fucking absolutely terrible.
  • Options
    But this isn't about personally affected, this is about the airlines themselves.
  • Options
    Fair enough, maybe I was off topic - although your comment seems possibly a little strict. It's still my view that this type of risk should be underwritten, when there are earthquakes and other natural disasters the insurance companies take a hit - why should a volcano be any different?
  • Options
    It's still my view that this type of risk should be underwritten, when there are earthquakes and other natural disasters the insurance companies take a hit -

Er, no they don't. Most insurance companies won't insure against acts of God, not unless the chances of it happening are slim.
    You may be able to insure against flooding if you live at the top of a hill, but if you live anywhere that has ever been flooded you've got no chance.