Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Rate your GP

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had five GPs in my lifetime- all average and OK. Have seen doctors at the same practice who aren't very good. Guess as with any profession there are bad workers. When do you know the doctor sitting in front to listen to your problem is not up to standard? and then good GPs have certain qualities

Comments

• Options
    Yup, some doctors are nice, others are complete wankers. My usual doc is lovely, but on leave, the replacement is a complete dick who refuses to even say my name correctly, no matter how many times I correct them -makes me want to flick 'em the bird.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    Yup, some doctors are nice, others are complete wankers. My usual doc is lovely, but on leave, the replacement is a complete dick who refuses to even say my name correctly, no matter how many times I correct them -makes me want to flick 'em the bird.
    Some locums are the worst- there to fill in time without a long term interest in the patient
  • Options
    I've just registered with a new GP and I've not gone to see them yet. My old GP was excellent and saved my life on more than one occasion.
  • Options
    my dr is great. brilliant.

Shes really hard to get an appointment with though as shes always booked up
  • Options
    The GP I'm registered with at uni I've never seen. The one I always seem to see, is brilliant.

The one at home I hardly see too - she is good though.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    The GP I'm registered with at uni I've never seen. The one I always seem to see, is brilliant.

The one at home I hardly see too - she is good though.
    Sounds like you're a good patient- the sort GPs want on their list
  • Options
    How is a good patient defined?
  • Options
    Randomgirl wrote: »
    ............ My old GP was excellent and saved my life on more than one occasion.
    my current GP once saved me from serious bad health- whilst A & E failed to sort out my condition
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    How is a good patient defined?
    the type who doesn't come to him or is easy to remedy
  • Options
    they guy who is named as my GP i've never seen because he seems to be too busy doing radio and newspaper appearances, but all the other ones i've seen at the practice have been good :)
  • Options
    My current GP is efficient, but not much of a talker! You'll be in and out, prescription in hand, in about 30 seconds :thumb:
  • Options
    Kaff wrote: »
    My current GP is efficient, but not much of a talker! You'll be in and out, prescription in hand, in about 30 seconds :thumb:
    Hope he makes the correct diagnosis- probably a quick and sharp thinker
  • Options
    I hate my GP. He's a really old man and he doesn't listen to ANYTHING I say. For example; I went in about self harm, and asked about counselling. He totally ignored that requests, and began to talk about infections. I mean what the fuck!
    Xx
  • Options
    I hate my GP. He's a really old man and he doesn't listen to ANYTHING I say. For example; I went in about self harm, and asked about counselling. He totally ignored that requests, and began to talk about infections. I mean what the fuck!
    Xx

Do you understand about infections and stuff? Mine never mentioned my infections - he had a quick look and saw they were ok.
  • Options
    Melian wrote: »
    Do you understand about infections and stuff? Mine never mentioned my infections - he had a quick look and saw they were ok.

Yeah I understood before hand, and I said to him I did... But the thing is, I'd said "I was wondering if you can refer me to counselling as my self harm is getting bad?" etc etc... and he just goes "Self harm can cause infections, and infections will mean further medical care." I was like... ermm great, yepp I know...
    Xx
  • Options
    apart from a few recent incidents our docs here have been amazing, my registered G.P is really good as well as one of his collegues, I try to see them.
  • Options
    Hellfire wrote: »
    apart from a few recent incidents our docs here have been amazing, my registered G.P is really good as well as one of his collegues, I try to see them.
    It's when the docs bring one out that physical suffering that makes them amazing. And so they should be- five years of state sponsored training at uni and being paid so much
  • Options
    I have been to every GP in my practice and only one of them actually took notice and listened to me!! I really dont understand why doctors just dont care n throw us a prescription and tell us to come back in a month!
    My GP listens to me and asks me to come back every 2 weeks and even if i cant get an appointment or need to talk i can even ring the practice to speak to her!
  • Options
    My current doctor is brilliant, had one about a year ago who was also great, but then she left for maternity leave, so went to another one who was not good, had a go at me for being depressed and said I should had done something about it earlier. these are the ones I've seen since being at uni.
    My doctors at home where my parents live are really bad, one started reading the wrong lot of patient names out, read out tuesday instead of monday, he was cutting of a frozen wart and started cutting through skin and I started bleeding a lot and he kept going, until I yelled in pain and he noticed the blood and another just sits and says there is a lot of that around and doesn't seem to care or bother very much.