Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Anyone with any knowledge on obtaining a CRB disclosure?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've recent attended an interview for a part-time cleaning job in a community centre after applying through the Job Centre. Thing it, at the end of the interview, I was told I would be required to obtain a CRB disclosure?
Funny that the fat fucker behind the desk in the Job Centre never told me this. And I only found out on the day the community centre where I'd be working is two bus journeys away.

Thing is, it's always been the employer that's obtained this for me, so either way I was wondering how you would go about doing this yourself. It strikes me as penny pinching on their part but there you go.

I don't assume this is a swift and inexpensive process then...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not swift, but it's not too bad at the moment.

I've never applied for one individually before it's always been done by the employer/organisation. Are you sure you had to get yourself one? Normally you have to fill in the form, but they give you the forms and you return them to the employer because someone has to verify your identity etc.
    Hi Steve, there's some useful info on the Criminal Records Bureau website that explains how you would apply. Take a look at this link: http://www.crb.homeoffice.gov.uk/using_the_website/applicant.aspx#howdoiapply

It seems to say that an individual cannot apply directly so your new employer should be able to help you with the process.

Hope that helps! :)
    I don't think you can apply as an individual. As SM said, identity verification is an important part of the process. I used to run a recruitment service and we always did the CRB check for the successful candidate. It is possible that the person who interviewed you wasn't part of the HR team and didn't know the process. They might have mentioned the requirement so that it didn't come as a rude shock when you were presented with a form, but it sounds as if you have filled them before. Alternatively, some interviewers might mention it to try and bring to light any issues that might be relevant to the job offer. Not good practice, but it does happen.
    No you can't get one as an individual, you have to get the employer to get one.

For example I have an enhanced CRB certificate and the way I got mine is because I am a member of the FA coaches association which provides them as part of the membership deal and check out furture members.

Hope it helps.
    I'm waiting for mine to come back at the moment :hyper:
    I'm sure you can get you own but you have to pay, a lot of the time your employer organises it and covers the cost you just have to fill out the form. I've had about 10 already through college and with my job and my employer has done them all.