Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

brown rice

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
why is it so gross? or did i cook it wrong?

it was boil in the bag and was just eurgh :yuck: i ate it with curry and didnt realise how gross it was so just ate it all up.

i hate this cuz when i go to bed tonight i wont be able to stop thinking about it and mentally gagging.

blaghh

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I guess it can be an aquired taste you have to cook it a bit longer than normal rice but if it was boil in the bag i should have thought it was cooked perfectly, try buying some normal brown rice and cooking it in a little coconut milk :yum:
    boil in the bag rice? *mentally gags*
    yeah i boiled it for the full 30 mins.

hmmm... white rice in future. screw being healthy!
    what is wrong with boil in the baaag rice??
    what is wrong with boil in the baaag rice??

Nothing i think its great, you are basically just steaming normal rice, unless your feeding a load of people its a good idea
    I just don't get it, why not just boil it not in a bag? Anyway, the way my mum cooks brown rice is to heat up some spices and shit in oil in a pan, then stir in the rice gently til it's all coated in spcy oil, then add boiling water and turn the heat up to full til it boils, then simmer til it's done.

rice is fucking rank though, no cooking technique is going to help that intrinsic rank property but putting it in a plastic bag certainly isn't going to do it any favours.

bake potatoes instead :D
    ah sorry louise, i meant that to katralla the rice facist!

i just find it easier to do because im so cack handed. plus it's all measured out already. i usually have basmati rice because it's fluffy :heart:
    I repeat, bake potatoes -they are fluffy and not rice :D
    i guess, plus the skin is rather goooooooood :hyper:
    katralla wrote: »
    I repeat, bake potatoes -they are fluffy and not rice :D

Bake spuds are nice but take soooo long by the time they are cooked i have nibbled my way through the fridge and i am not hungry anymore
    it was boil in the bag

That's why
    Couscous is the way forward :thumb:
    I used to hate brown rice- its certainly takes some getting used to. Now all I can eat is brown rice, white rice just takes wrong.
    Calvin wrote: »
    I used to hate brown rice- its certainly takes some getting used to. Now all I can eat is brown rice, white rice just takes wrong.

:yes: Same here.
    Xx
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    That's why

ahhh, why would that make a difference? explaaain. :(
    i usually have basmati rice because it's fluffy :heart:

You can get brown basmati rice too which is really nice :yes:
    ahhh, why would that make a difference? explaaain. :(

It's often cooked then allowed to dry then packed to reduce the cooking time for you. It's usually washed through a solution containing bleach, i kid you not, about 4 times to remove as much starch as possible to stop it sticking together.

In my opinion, if you're cooking long grain rice you can't go wrong just plopping it in a large pan of slightly salted, boiling water, STIR IT ONCE and check every few minutes to see if it's cooked. That's how i cook basmati and brown rice and it comes out fine.
    I guess I'm weird in that I love brown rice but hate white, and it didn't take any getting used to :p However I can never cook it. It is either over or under... and then that one time I tried to cook it with half broth and it didn't cook at all cuz I didn't take into consideration the higher boiling point but I took it off the stove anyway for some dumb reason...