Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Next step with court cases

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, the CPS have decided to charge someone with murder.

Person appears at the Magistrates court to get charged.
Person is then sent to appear at the Crown court at the end of the month.

Would the appearance at the Crown court be for the actual trial? Or just another charge thing with the trial to follow at a later date?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The Crown court is higher up in the hierachy than Magistrates, so it will be a continuation (escalation) of the same trial.
    I more meant, if its set to go to the Crown court on 30th April, will that be the start of the trial and it then go on through May, or is it likely to be another quick appearance and then a trial date get set for the future?
    I more meant, if its set to go to the Crown court on 30th April, will that be the start of the trial and it then go on through May, or is it likely to be another quick appearance and then a trial date get set for the future?

I would say it'd be a pre-lim hearing and setting a date for trial, i mean it doesn't give the defendant any time to speak to a lawyer and prepare a defence with them.
    I agree, seems quite quick for it to be the start of the trial.
    You should be able to find out though, court listings are on the internet. Although think they are only today and tomorrow.
    Kind of why I was asking, it seemed unusually quick to be the start of the full trial.