Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cigarette burn

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have this cigarette burn on my chest, it's only small but I picked it (well, scratched it by accident) and now there's clear liquid coming out of it. There's also a little bit of blood... so, if I put a plaster over it will it be okay?
Xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The clear liquid will be plasma from the wound from when its cleaning it's self...in some way that a biologist will be able to explain. Putting a plaster over should be fine, just try and keep the wound it's self moist...that's not the word i want...use the hand cream stuff that women seem to have endless supplies of, and put a bit of that on as it helps keep the skin supple, and leaves less of a scar when it heals.
    Thanks :) And I don't have hand cream actually but I do have moisturiser :p
    Xx
    That's the thingy I mean, coz it keeps the skin soft and allows more free movement of the cells which is better for the healing.
    I know nothing of the body but I'm pretty sure you do not want to put moisturizer or anything like that on an open wound or something that is still weeping. Perhaps an antibiotic cream made for wounds (but even they will tell you don't put it on anything open) definatly not something that isn't... especially if it has any color, dyes, scents...
    Bacteria likes moist places so adding to it might not be the best idea.
    Oh okay... I think I might just stick a plaster on it :p
    Xx
    I wouldn't put moisturiser on it just yet :p

You want to keep it clean for now, thats your main priority as it sounds like its still an open wound. If you do put a plaster on it, make sure the pad of the plaster is big enough to cover the whole burn without the sticky part of the plaster sticking to it.

Once its part way through the healing process, and any scab has gone... then feel free to wack on as much moisturiser as you want :yes:
    I meant around the outside of the wound whilst it's still open, once it's scabbed over yu can apply the stuff directly to the wound as it'll help...I know what I mean anyhows
    I wont be able to put foundation on it will I?? It's high enough to be seen when I'm wearing a top and it looks really ugly now :-/
    Xx
    I wont be able to put foundation on it will I?? It's high enough to be seen when I'm wearing a top and it looks really ugly now :-/
    Xx

Probs best not to. If it gets infected it may be more likely to scar. I thought you were gonna cover it up with a plaster anyways?
    You can put a cool tattoo or cartoon bandaid on it :thumb:
    Probs best not to. If it gets infected it may be more likely to scar. I thought you were gonna cover it up with a plaster anyways?

Yeah, but it's going to look stupid in my uniform... just remembered it's the end of the holidays and I wont be able to wear my PJs all day :lol:
    Xx

:yes:

I've been told that covering it up with make-up is only ok after the wound has healed - ie, it's gone pink / white and there's no scab.
    my name wrote: »
    I know nothing of the body but I'm pretty sure you do not want to put moisturizer or anything like that on an open wound or something that is still weeping. Perhaps an antibiotic cream made for wounds (but even they will tell you don't put it on anything open) definatly not something that isn't... especially if it has any color, dyes, scents...
    Bacteria likes moist places so adding to it might not be the best idea.
    They would say put it on a open wound, that's what those creams are for.