Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Remember

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the Millennium Bug?

chortle

Comments

• Options
    eerrrmmm nope :p
    Explain?
    Xx
  • Options
    I remember that! I was having a quiet one with my parents coz my mates decided to go out without me (grrr). I remember leaving my old BBC Micro switched on to see what time it would become. It went from 23:59 31-Dec-1999 to 00:00 01-Jan-1980. Oops. But yeah, nothing really happened globally did it?
  • Options
    eerrrmmm nope :p
    Explain?
    Xx

It was scare mongering from the media claiming that machines that had a clock (e.g. computers, alarm systems, medical systems) would crash when the year changed from 1999 to 2000, because some system clocks could only handle the last 2 digits of the year.
  • Options
    Nope. I was told EVERYTHING would stop working, and we'd know because the street lights would go out and then there would be darkness etc.
  • Options
    :lol: That is LEGEND.
    Xx
  • Options
    I understood the bug as being effective against any systems that had a clock. But yeah, like Katralla said, it was the media just blowing it out of proportion and making everyone believe that year 2000 will be post-apocalyptic Mad Max style. Granted, a few systems succumbed to the bug but it was nothing on a large scale. Most machines were Y2K-ready.
  • Options
    It is, you should have been there, New Years Eve parties that year were fun!
  • Options
    There is this guys who piled up on colloidal silver, because he thought the world would run out of antibiotics and apparently he started taking it in advance too.

What he didn't know is, that colloidal silver deposits in your skin and now he looks like Mr. Freeze from this old batman movie.

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/2_21_450_vid_blueman.jpg
  • Options
    me no see picture, me want to look and laugh
  • Options
    Apparently, I'm forbidden to view 2_21_450_vid_blueman.jpg. Perhaps this is the 2010 bug.
  • Options
    Was I the only person who was a teeny bit disappointed that planes didn't fall out of the sky, etc?
  • Options
    http://www.dabbler.ca/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/blue-man.jpg

I heard they accepted him in the blue man group tho, so all's good.
  • Options
    NZ had a huge media storm about it, cause of course, we were going to be the first to hit the new year. When it came and we were all still alive, everyone kept partying. Well, I was 12 so partying involved being at my drunk aunties, bored, while they all cried and sung auld lang synes. Bloody scots.
  • Options
    mbug.gif
  • Options
    I totally forgot that yellow sign until now. Nice one MoK :-)
  • Options
    White dog poo and when quad roller sketes weren't retro cool, they were all you could get?