Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Joining the army

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Heyy,
Just wondering if any of you are/have been in the army. What is it like? And, if you've been to army cadets, what was that like?
Thanks,
Broken-Angel

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heya

I was in the army section of my school's CCF (Combined Cadet Force) and yuh it was good :yes: You get a few weirdos who take it waaaaaayyy too seriously and are like "GUNS GUNS GUNS" but definitely a worthwhile thing to do.

Loads of fun, get to do different things and do lots of leadership/teamwork activities. :) Would recommend it.

And now.. well, I'm thinking about joining the Navy sometime in the faraway future :)
    Cool thanks, I quite want to be on the front line (obvs when I'm 18 or however old it is)
    Is the physical side of it like REALLY demanding?
    Xx
    Well... I could manage it. And so I'm guessing you could ha.

Army cadets isn't meant to be exactly like the army, more about giving opportunties to young people to develop new skills. So although at times people around you may really push you, and set you challenges, its not the same as being forced to run until you throw up kind of thing :p

So yeah, I'd say go for it. I know a few people who I went to cadets with are heading for careers in the military. One got a place at Welbeck for 6th form, and is joining the army this year, and another one is just finishing the marine application process and is one step away from finding out whether hes made the cut.

And even if people aren't looking for a career in the forces, I think its a good thing to get involved with.
    I hated CCF at school, all we ever did was learn how to hold guns clean guns etc, but we only got to shoot once :( But I did love being able to shoot.

Like purple said, it's nothing like the army, although if you did join cadets it'd be good preparation. A lot of people enjoyed the focus on team building blah blah blah, although it just bored me.

Also, a friend of mine joined the army after she left school, but she quit after a couple of months because the pressure on her as a female surrounded by a totally male community was too much, as she was the only woman in a group of entirely men.

Are women allowed in the front line now?
    grace wrote: »
    I hated CCF at school, all we ever did was learn how to hold guns clean guns etc, but we only got to shoot once :( But I did love being able to shoot.

Is CCF at your school compulsory? I know at some schools you pretty much have to do a term of it or whatever.... at mine its not, which I think is better as only the people who want to be there are there. :p
    No, it wan't compulsory, but you had to do an activity on Friday afternoons, like CCF, DofE etc...
    Just took the BARB test on the website... got all but 5 things right :p If I can do it now.. in like 5 years! I'm looking through other job options on there too, I like the sound of it.
    Xx
    grace wrote: »

yeah because the amount of blooming paper work to let you wee kiddies shoot. the amount we'd have to do when I was an ACF instructor is tremendous.
    Woman are still not allowed in the infantry. Though are often attached as supporting parts, RLC drivers and signallers etc.

Though with the move to a more counter insurgency type warfare, as opposed to conventional warfare, there isnt really such a thing as "the front line" anymore.

It can be really demanding, somethings you can make harder on yourself, but you get more out of it kinda thing.

Cadets is a good thing to get involved with, even if you have no intention of joining the army, it will set you in good stead. I know some people got annoyed by those who took cadets too seriously, however a lot of what you do in cadets, you do similar things in the Regular army, and these days its my life, if I didnt enjoy it I couldnt do it.

A word of warning, not to be the one who may upset you about this. I mention this so you dont get a shock, but when it comes to applying for the army, is there a history of self harm on your medical records, or any evident scars?

I mention this as it may be a bar to your applying. I dont know if its a certain time free from harming or if a total ban to do with the mental state surrounding it. Im sure you can understand some of the stresses that come with being in the army on the battle field. Having someone unstable on the battle field could potentially lead to not only their lives being endangered, but those around them as well.

If you are interested, like I said, join cadets as I personally think it will be advantageous whatever you decide to do afterwards. Though as and when the time comes, which will be a while yet, you will be able to research into the specifics a lot better.

At the minute the army are trying to take the cream of the crop, there are that many people applying and so few leaving (compared to previous years), that many areas and jobs are getting filled up.
    I got to shoot quite a lot :D On ranges and on exercise.
    MrG wrote: »
    A word of warning, not to be the one who may upset you about this. I mention this so you dont get a shock, but when it comes to applying for the army, is there a history of self harm on your medical records, or any evident scars?

I mention this as it may be a bar to your applying. I dont know if its a certain time free from harming or if a total ban to do with the mental state surrounding it. Im sure you can understand some of the stresses that come with being in the army on the battle field. Having someone unstable on the battle field could potentially lead to not only their lives being endangered, but those around them as well..

Yea.. there's 5 maybe 6 suicide attempts, and I've been for stitches and broken my own arms... So ermm... Think I'll go for a different job maybe...
    Apparently I can't do the other job (criminal profiler) I wanted to either, because of self harm. It's to do with psychology, and a Doctor told me I wouldn't be able to work in that department under any job :impissed:
    Xx
    You have to be 12 to join a part of the cadets, I was speaking to a Sargent about it last night on the British army's website.
    Xx
    geneve wrote: »
    IF you are very keen perhaps it could act as motivation to put your issues well and truly in the past. As has been noted, you would be responsible for others, and it would be the same in cadets, hence why I would very much encourage you to look into it.

I'm not ready to stop self harming.
    Xx
    You have to be 12 to join a part of the cadets, I was speaking to a Sargent about it last night on the British army's website.
    Xx

Close! 12 AND in Higher School.
    Year 8 it said ;)
    Xx
    Try the Air Cadets, the uniform is soooo much hotter :flirt:
    No.Fucking.Way. My whole family wants me to be in the RAF... my granddad flies planes in his spare time (he's actually a surgeon) and my mum and aunt went to air cadets. I don't like planes. hahaha! Although, they have nice uniform, my friend just got her blues. She loves them haha!
    Xx
    ACF offers the best experiences as it has a lot more funding than any other cadet force.
    I joined the navy cadets when my friend joined for a few months. Was tiring doing the miles of racing on lakes in longboats (not sure what the boats are called, I know they're not viking style :p), the oars weighed a absolute ton!
    Yeah, my friend in air cadets says there are unsaid wars between the local air, army and navy cadets.
    I don't really like the idea of being in the RAF, it's just not something I want to do you know? I do think I might join army cadets though, not right away though because my mum doesn't really want me to... So I have to talk her round first :lol: Thanks for all your advice on this, I also asked a question on the army's website about mental health but they said they can't answer questions about health.. So I have to write to the main office or something.
    Xx
    Nothing wrong with the RAF.
    Nothing wrong with the RAF.

Never said there was, I just don't want to be in the RAF :p
    Xx
    Thanks for all your advice on this, I also asked a question on the army's website about mental health but they said they can't answer questions about health.. So I have to write to the main office or something.
    Xx

I think its quite annoying... I emailed to ask a similar question to you, and they told me to phone up. I phoned up... and all they could do was read out a list of conditions, but was really vague and unhelpful :p

They basically said I would have to wait until the medical test to see if I would be eligible, and that there wasn't a way to check beforehand, before starting the whole joining process.
    Apparently I can't do the other job (criminal profiler) I wanted to either, because of self harm. It's to do with psychology, and a Doctor told me I wouldn't be able to work in that department under any job :impissed:
    Xx

sorry but that's just bullshit.

criminal profiling looks like an amazing line of work, there's a guy called Paul Britton who has written some brilliant books about it if you're interested.

to go into professional psychology you need a degree, doctorate and loads of work experience, not to mention any other postgrad certificates needed for the specific role. by the time you reach that stage, who knows how your mental health will be. it's really unlikely that you would still be unwell. and if anything, the experiences you have had could help you. a surprising number of people who go into psychology have had their own problems, it's what makes them interested.
    omg hi wrote: »
    sorry but that's just bullshit.

criminal profiling looks like an amazing line of work, there's a guy called Paul Britton who has written some brilliant books about it if you're interested.

to go into professional psychology you need a degree, doctorate and loads of work experience, not to mention any other postgrad certificates needed for the specific role. by the time you reach that stage, who knows how your mental health will be. it's really unlikely that you would still be unwell. and if anything, the experiences you have had could help you. a surprising number of people who go into psychology have had their own problems, it's what makes them interested.

OMG HI is totally right. Its different with the armed forces as they cant take the chance that problems will resurface under immense stress, which would endanger life.
    OMG HI is totally right. Its different with the armed forces as they cant take the chance that problems will resurface under immense stress, which would endanger life.

I know you won't know for sure, but I just got granted a leave of absence from uni with depression / anxiety, would this stop me applying in future?

(sorry for hijack BA!!!)
    ShyBoy wrote: »

(sorry for hijack BA!!!)

:yeees: well... because it's you I'll let you hijack my thread

And ShyBoy, I'm sorry to here that hunny :( If you need to talk I'm here.
    Xx
    :yeees: well... because it's you I'll let you hijack my thread

And ShyBoy, I'm sorry to here that hunny :( If you need to talk I'm here.
    Xx

Oh don't worry, I mean it was the course itself that had built up and basically created this really negative cycle where I felt negative about myself and university, and so wasnt able to take part, and so felt more negative... and so on. That should all be ok for next year though now I've been given a break as it were :)
    hhhmmm okay :-/ Doesn't stop me worrying about you though.
    I'm sure you'll be alright, you're a strong guy, but don't be afraid to speak out about how you feel :)
    Xx
    Not allowed, I'm allowed to join air cadets though (:rolleyes:)
    I don't know... I don't know what I want any more. I've realised how unsuited to the army I'd be... I mean look at me. I can't look after a cat.
    Xx