Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Alex Salmond

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
One interesting thing about the SNP at this election is that Alex Salmond isn't standing. He wants to concentrate on his other job as First Minister of Scotland (and quite right, too). So why is he all over the TV and newspapers in his role as leader of he SNP even when he isn't standing for election? I think the SNP need to have a leader among the Westminster candidates who isn't their leader in Holyrood.
The Conservatives have David Cameron and Annabelle Goldie. Labour have Gordon Brown and whoever's turn it is this week. So why do the SNP only have the one leader? Is it becasue Ally two jobs has an ego big enough for both parliaments?
I guess this problem will be solved anyway after the election, I just find it annoying particularly that Salmond wants to be part of the leader's debate in an election he isn't standing in.

Comments

• Options
    I don't quite understand what you are saying. He would still be standing as a Scottish MP surely?

It's just that as the SNP is not standing candidates in most UK seats as are the three main parties, he can't be entered into the leadership debate for a future UK Prime Minister.
  • Options
    Don't really have an opinion on the turd-like creature that is Alex Salmond, but it gives me a chance to use this picture.

_44515926_salmond_pa.jpg
  • Options
    I am no fan of the SNP but I must say, Alan Salmond is a very skilful politician. He speaks extremely well and quite often rattles his political opponents with very incisive argument. If it wasn't for him, the SNP would have nowhere near as much support.
  • Options
    Slog's right - Salmond isn't standing as an MP - here are his final comments as an MP from last Sunday.

As first minister in Scotland he's elected through the Scottish Parliament elections held every four years. So I think they are held again in 2011.

Whilst it's not my place to speculate, I'd guess that his thinks it probably strengthens his arguments around devolution to say he's focusing on just the Scottish Parliament, not dividing his time between Holyrood and Westminster.

As to the debates, it's an interesting one, I'd argue that the TV debates inevitably create a 'Presidential' feel to the election and he feels he's the person who should be in that role for the SNP.

But again, that's just speculation on my part :)
  • Options
    Teagan wrote: »
    I don't quite understand what you are saying. He would still be standing as a Scottish MP surely?

It's just that as the SNP is not standing candidates in most UK seats as are the three main parties, he can't be entered into the leadership debate for a future UK Prime Minister.

He's stamding down as an MP
  • Options
    Jim V wrote: »
    Slog's right - Salmond isn't standing as an MP - here are his final comments as an MP from last Sunday.

As first minister in Scotland he's elected through the Scottish Parliament elections held every four years.

Ah ok. Thanks. :)