Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Is this right?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to just bit the bullet and tell your mum so that you can get access to your savings.

Quite frankly doing anything else is just stupid. You'll be making naff all on any savings right now, whilst the unauthorised overdraft excess will be costing you way over the odds.

So basically quit being stubborn, or scared, or whatever it is, and sort yourself out.
    I've already said that telling my mum isn't an option, so let's all stop telling me to do that, yeh? I am clearly in enough of a shit heap mentally at the moment as it is to have been signed off work in the first place without the added joys of my mother telling me how stupid I am and basically forcing me to go back to work. Because that's what will happen. I am having panic attacks all but daily and so no, I do not have to 'bite the bullet'

I'm glad all of you think this is such an easy situation for me to be in. I'd say it was plainly obvious that if I don't want to tell my mum about it that it's not as simple a solution as you're all telling me it is. You don't know my mother and you have no idea of the current state of my mental health.

Besides, getting access to my savings will take longer than it's worth since my mum can't remember the password to it and it would involve getting a form to fill in to get a new password then waiting for the new password to come through (to Braintree, addressed to me, and my mum doesn't open my post) and then sending the money to my mum's account and then sending it to me. And that's if she'd even agree to it.

I am not being stubborn. I am trying to prevent making myself even more ill. I'm sorry that that seems to make me stupid.
    Remember, we are all only giving you advice, you do not have to do what anyone tells you or suggests. Do what will work out best for you.
    I know. I'm just getting a bit sick of being treated like an idiot. I might be ill but that doesn't mean it's ok to treat me like a child.

(Not meaning you, just in general, it's been happening a lot today)
    Cup of tea time, with malteasers and a movie I think. Or a bath -that's my prescription.
    I've just been in a similar position and I work full time so I understand your pain, it's not a nice situation :no:

Basically I spent like a mad woman because I had money and ended up going way over my overdraft and having the bank taking stupid amounts of me and the rest of my wages getting me back into my overdraft meaning no money for the rest of the month...then it all starts again :rolleyes:
    In the end I had to bite the bullet and speak to my ex about it, the only person I could go to. I couldn't be arsed with the grief I'd get off my mum! In the end he lent me £300 to get me back into my overdraft...and I can pay him back bit by bit when I can. Also he shouted at me and made me make a spending plan including bills and making sure I save some!

Unfortunalty the only way you are going to get out of this is if you borrow from someone or try another bank and try to open a student overdraft with them, explain the siuation and see if they will let you transfer everything over to them and let you open a bank account with a bigger overdraft.
    Use some money to pay off what you are over with your other account and hopefully get yourself settled!
    Franki wrote: »
    I know. I'm just getting a bit sick of being treated like an idiot. I might be ill but that doesn't mean it's ok to treat me like a child.

(Not meaning you, just in general, it's been happening a lot today)

Treating you like an idiot? Not really, I'm just giving you the facts. What you're coming up with is excuses to prevent yourself from having to actually deal with this situation. All the options asides from actually getting access to your savings are silly options.

Seriously, you think I just pluck this stuff out of the air and grab whatever feels best? No, I actually know what I'm talking about.

But hey, it's only advice, you're free to ignore it. Just don't piss on people for giving it because you don't like how it sounds.
    Why are they silly options?

As I said, getting access to my savings isn't an option. Even if I wanted to talk to my mum, by the time I actually had the money, I'd have been whacked with the charges again anyway.
    Look, I understand that everyone is just trying to help, but all I wanted to know was whether or not the guy was telling the truth. I had that answered on the first page so I would appreciate it if everyone just let me get on with it now.
    Look, I understand that everyone is just trying to help, but all I wanted to know was whether or not the guy was telling the truth. I had that answered on the first page so I would appreciate it if everyone just let me get on with it now.

I'm not convinced about that as the court case is about the refunding of excessive charges, not the waiving of charges that have not yet been applied. The two things are quite distinct and it sounds as though the guy was just fobbing you off.
    Mist wrote: »
    I'm not convinced about that as the court case is about the refunding of excessive charges, not the waiving of charges that have not yet been applied. The two things are quite distinct and it sounds as though the guy was just fobbing you off.
    That wouldn't surprise me since he also said that if I were to get my account back to 0 they wouldn't be able to take off the reserve. Last time I went in to ask they said that yes, that was possible even though I'd been told otherwise before. Eugh I hate them. I'll have a google about it and see if I can legitimately go and tell him where to shove his little policy.
    Banks should always be able to take off any overdraft.
    I'm not in my reserve anymore, am going to go and speak to them about how much my next whack of charges will be so that THAT doesn't tip me over (because seriously, if their charges were the reason I started getting more charges...), then when I've yelled at student finance for not giving me all my money, I'll be closing the account and opening a new one with Lloyds. Had quite enough of Barclays.
    A few people I know will complain about lloyds, however, a few people I know could complain about pretty much every bank, and I think with banking its a very much personal experience.

Ive been with Lloyds so long I have not got a clue how long it has been, Ive had issues, but they have solved them for me straight away.
    Well, Rich works for them and so obviously banks with them, and he says they're pretty good.

Can't get worse than fucking Barclays.
    I agree Barclays are crap, heard bad things about Lloyds to though, i find Halifax are really good i have no problems with them but to be honest i have a pretty basic account and basic needs at the moment.
    I decided on Halifax because the local branch is at the bottom of a seriously steep hill and Lloyds is at the top, i am soooo lazy :D
    Well, Rich works for them and so obviously banks with them, and he says they're pretty good.

Well going with them sounds like a good plan, as Rich should be able to tell you if they're messing you around!
    x
    Louisek wrote: »
    I agree Barclays are crap, heard bad things about Lloyds to though, i find Halifax are really good i have no problems with them but to be honest i have a pretty basic account and basic needs at the moment.
    I decided on Halifax because the local branch is at the bottom of a seriously steep hill and Lloyds is at the top, i am soooo lazy :D
    Lloyds + Halifax = Lloyds Banking Group. But that doesn't change top of the hill / bottom of the hill issues ;)
    Louisek wrote: »

Whats up with Lloyds like.
    It's not the overdraft that's the problem, though. The charges are for going over my overdraft limit into the 'reserve', which they've said I can't cancel :yeees:.

To be honest though, I've had so much shit from Barclays now that I just want out completely.
    I don't think the charges will be too bad (well, they shouldn't be, anyway) so it shouldn't tip me over. The only reason I'm a bit worried is because I was supposed to be getting some holiday pay today but apparently my work are unorganised so I have to go and speak to the payroll manager myself. I was actually planning on cancelling the overdraft this week but I didn't get all of my loan for whatever reason, and I owed some people money.
    Hey there Franki,

Glad that things are looking up for you regarding your bank charges situation.

If you feel that things start to get out of hand again, may I suggest that you seek debt advise as soon as you can. Even if it turns out things were OK in the end, it's always good to go through your debt worries with someone, to ensure that things don't get any worse.

You can call the National Debtline free on 0808 808 4000 (Monday – Friday 9am-9pm, Saturday 9.30am-1pm).
    Or you could call the Debt Advice Foundation on 0800 043 40 50. (Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 9am to 5pm).

You may also like to read the article on Overdrafts on theSite website.

Hope things continue to get better. Take care.