Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Where to make a complaint about information a website?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just bought a mobile phone online from one of the UK's biggest Supermarkets.

Overall I got a good deal on the actual handset BUT one of the main reasons I bought the phone from this company was because their website clearly stated that for £2 a week you get unlimited internet on the phone.

After having the handset delivered the booklet that came with the phone states it's Unlimited BUT with a 100MB "Fair Usage" limit and what is worse when you then go to register your purchase online (which you can only do after actually buying the handset) it says just 50MB "Fair Usage" limit.

To me the word Unlimited means without limit - 50MB or even 100MB is nowhere near what I'd call unlimited.

The phone I bought has SatNav and for £2 a week it would have been good to use that for traffic updates, Instant Messaging, FaceBook, etc and not to worry about the data costs - I feel like I've been totally mislead, especially since all these fair usage limits are only menioned in plain sight after you have made your purchase and taken the product home.

I really want to complain to some official department over the use of the word Unlimited - because it's a full on lie to use such a word to sell a product.

If they simply said for £2 a week you get 100MB or 50MB of data usage then it's open, honest and straightforward.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unfortunately, unlimited is NEVER really unlimited. I think maybe you could make a compliant about how it isn't made clear, but as far as I'm aware, there is no law against having things in really small print.
    Xx
    It'll say "Unlimited Internet* " and at the bottom of the page have a * - Fair Usage policy applies
    What retailer was it?
    Hellfire wrote: »
    It'll say "Unlimited Internet* " and at the bottom of the page have a * - Fair Usage policy applies

gotta agree, unfortunately i dont think you've got a leg to stand on in this case
    Hellfire wrote: »

Actually you are kinda of correct - as fair usage is hidden under firefox
    What retailer is it?
    if you see my attachment you'll see who it is - but I just checked now in Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera and Chrome and that all important bit of information is well hidden in all of them under other text and totally unseen in IE.
    I dont see who it is, but the information is there, just that the webpage hasnt rendered correctly, not necessarily the websites fault.
    Do you have a link for the retailer?
    I can't see who the retailer is either.

Btw, somebody has nicked my name :-P
    It says Tesco mobile tariffs at the bottom so I would assume them.
    Unfortunately, unlimited is NEVER really unlimited.

Precisely. And it shouldn't be used in advertising.

I'm on T-Mobile PAYG, and they advertise unlimited internet. Limit is 40mb per day. Not that I'm complaining - it's plenty. But certainly not unlimited...
    I believe it's Tesco Mobile, based on the colours (please correct me if I'm wrong Benji)
    ETA: Just checked the website and I'm right.
    Monserrat wrote: »

Btw, somebody has nicked my name :-P

I thought that :lol: Nick it back QUICK... :p
    Xx
    I'm on Tesco mobile. It's shit. End of.
    Xx
    ISPs claiming that a service is unlimited is one of those things that really fucks me off - more so than it should. It's just plain false. There're no two ways about it. I don't know how providers manage to get away with it.

Imagine it with a tangible product:

Shampoo X does not make your hair fall out*.

*Shampoo X makes your hair fall out.
    Well the advice I would make about the website would be to contact the retailer directly.
    If all you're using it for is traffic, facebook and IMs then you'll have to be really, really sociable to hit 50MB.
    ISPs claiming that a service is unlimited is one of those things that really fucks me off - more so than it should. It's just plain false. There're no two ways about it. I don't know how providers manage to get away with it.

Imagine it with a tangible product:

Shampoo X does not make your hair fall out*.

*Shampoo X makes your hair fall out.

Aye, same here, hense why I went with plus.net, one of the only providers I can find who do not limit an unlimited account, aka no FUP.. however they do traffic shape P2P traffic during peak hours which I do find is fair.