Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Celebrity cheats

**helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
:wave:

What's your take on celebrity cheats?

Melissa is pretty riled by irresponsible tabloids and is finding it hard to be optimistic about finding love.

Are there any celebrity couples who you think are untouchable?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think Melissa needs to stop reading Heat.
    I don't understand the emphasis on monogamy in the first place so...
    iPhone needs a capital letter...
    I think Melissa needs to stop reading Heat.

:yes: :lol:

It's their life and up to them what they do.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    katralla wrote: »
    iPhone needs a capital letter...

Good spot. :thumb:
    At the end of the day, unfortunately a lot of men cheat, same with women, a lot of them cheat. However as they are in the limelight, the celebs are the ones who have to pick up the stick for it. No one goes around shouting at general nobodies about cheating, (the exception to this rule being mr J-K) I think people need to lay off and stay out of their lives.
    **helen** wrote: »
    Good spot. :thumb:

am I annoying? lol
    I think Melissa should probably remove her head from her anus, lest she be hit by a bus.

Firstly, I can't remember having the meeting where we decided that all people in the public eye are role models and have to behave accordingly. Surely it is the jobs of the parents to ensure that their sprogs are
    looking up to the right kind of people.

Secondly, this kind of thing has been going on since time began. People have been unfaithful, have fucked about and will continue to do so until the end of the human race. The only difference with these people is that they live their lives through a camera lens because of vapid airheads like Melissa who think that, because these people are rich and famous, they have to comport themselves in a certain manner. It's a vicious circle.

Thirdly, why is this moan just aimed against men?

Fourthly, what possible connection can there be between a few high-profile celebrity indescretions amongst the male gender and her own search for love? Granted, based on the information presented, I wouldn't touch her with Aladdin's, but her apparent comparison between a few idiotic celebrities and the rest of the male gender is, frankly, retarded.
    She did mention women celebrities, but I think her point is if those who know they are being watched do it, what's going to stop the rest.
    I think Melissa should probably remove her head from her anus, lest she be hit by a bus.

Granted, based on the information presented, I wouldn't touch her with Aladdin's, but her apparent comparison between a few idiotic celebrities and the rest of the male gender is, frankly, retarded.

Dude, why make it personal?

I assume it's the same principle as celebrities who put themselves in the limelight open themselves up to criticism, so do bloggers if they express particularly disagreeable opinions...

Of course in an ideal world none of it would be personal but I think it's something we have to get used to - we need to grow a thick skin if we're going to put our work or our lives in the public domain.

As is not uncommon, the writer of the rant is a student/graduate aspiring to be a journalist and as such needs to have some writing experience behind them - something they can link to in their portfolio. If they're not going to think through their audience then they're going to receive some criticism - which isn't necessarily a bad thing in all fairness as long as they can take it on the chin.

Look at all the most successful people, they're nearly universally hated.

Really? You're going to call him out over that?

Melissa's decided to publish an article - an article which dances tantalising close to being an indictment of all men - and clearly many people think it's ridiculous. Stating that she should take her head out of her anus is barely a glancing blow. And as for the comment about Aladdin: it made me laugh, and Aladdin's a big boy - not to mention he's come out with far worse himself! :D

Melissa's decided to publish an article - an article which dances tantalising close to being an indictment of all men - and clearly many people think it's ridiculous. Stating that she should take her head out of her anus is barely a glancing blow. And as for the comment about Aladdin: it made me laugh, and Aladdin's a big boy - not to mention he's come out with far worse himself! :D

I don't think Helen's worried that the comment "I wouldn't touch her with Aladdin's" is going to offend Aladdin! Rather, it's a pretty personal insult aimed at the girl, no?

I haven't read her rant and can't really be bothered to. But slagging off her appearance seems a bit uncalled for.

And I would have thought Thunderstruck would be a bit more careful telling other people to get their head out of their own anus. Pot, kettle, much?
    i didn't think he meant if cause of how she looked, but cause of the rampant man hating
    Well fair enough on that score, because I haven't read her rant. But I can kind of see Helen's point. It's a bit self-defeating to criticise someone's argument for being ill thought out and based on false assumptions, and then call them a retard.
    "after all many men aspire to be like such celebrities and, even though they may not admit it, will subconsciously copy their conduct."

Jesus wept. That's a fucking bold statement.

Anecdotally, I know more woman who've cheated than men (3 vs 1).

But I don't just blame you women, I blame the fucking idiots who eat up story after story about slightly famous dolts getting their dicks wet.
    Fair enough a lot of celebrities and famous people get famous because of nothing these days, especially in the case of big brother. At least musicians have something to remember them by etc.

Yeah I think celebrities should act as role models, but not because they are famous, because thats the way I think everyone should be. People should lead by example whoever they are.
    jamelia wrote: »
    I don't think Helen's worried that the comment "I wouldn't touch her with Aladdin's" is going to offend Aladdin! Rather, it's a pretty personal insult aimed at the girl, no?

I haven't read her rant and can't really be bothered to. But slagging off her appearance seems a bit uncalled for.

Her appearance didn't even cross my mind when I read Thunderstruck's post. She bemoans not being able to find love, and then comes out with all that clap-trap....
    Her appearance didn't even cross my mind when I read Thunderstruck's post. She bemoans not being able to find love, and then comes out with all that clap-trap....

Fair enough, like I say, I didn't read the rant.

But you know, the ad hominem, it's a classic bad move in debate. You should attack the argument, not the man. Especially if you think the person you're arguing with is being a dick. The best way to argue with them is to attack their reasoning, not call them a dick. All that does is make you a dick too.

But yeah, as I can't be arsed to read the rant, I should duck out of this thread.
    I wasn't referring to her physical appearance - indeed, from her picture, she's quite pretty. However, when she comes up with such utter, utter shite that Infinite quoted above, it does not for an attractive all-round package make.

Whilst it may be low to attack the person, I'm sure I would come in for similar personal attacks if I equated the fact that I've been single for almost four years down to the fact that all women aspire to be like Jordan / Jade Goody and any other page 3 slapper you care to mention, prostitute themselves to Max Clifford for a quick buck, marry a footballer and generally by idolised without the least vestiage of talent, dignity or hard work. It's retarded logic; the same retarded logic that connects her ability to find a suitable boyfriend with the fact that all men aspire to be like John Terry et al. and behave accordingly.
    I have to agree, she has labeled all men as cheats essentially and I can understand with a view and attitude like that why she is still single, I mean what man would date a woman who belittles them in such a public way.
    Exactly.
    Ah yes, tabloids, those upheld vessels of morality and truth :chin:

They wouldn't print this crap if people (presumably people like the writer of the rant) didn't want to read it! Don't buy a gossip rag if you don't want to read cheap gossip.

And on the subject of celeb affairs - we like to think that their personal lives are our business, but actually they aren't. At all.
    agree with kaff ^^

plus im not sure about her arguement that it seems to make it ok for others to cheat because all i've seen is outrage mixed with disgust that someone could cheat on the nation's dimply sweet 'arrrrrt cheryl.

It was a question - one that I'm satisfied with the answer for, but glad I asked it. :)
    I sometimes wonder if these rants published on TheSite are meant to be taken seriously. This Melissa person, for example, appears to base her views on love on what celebrity couples are allegedly doing in the tabloids and in celebrity rags. She must have no life at all if that's the conclusion she's come to.

Contrary to a popular view, not all men are complete cunts in the John Terry or Ashley Cole mould.
    There is one point that she makes that I think is quite accurate though. The idea that it's often the last people you would think that end up cheating. You see this time and again in all areas, and I think it comes down to overcompensating for what you see as your failings, or perhaps reacting against their public image. Look at Hugh Grant with that prostitute. Or all of those rampant homophobes caught with their pants down in public toilets in America. Or the film stars of the past who had to maintain almost an overly masculine image because the revelation that they were gay would damage their leading man career. Similarly, you'll often find that some of the more controversial public figures, like Craig Bellamy or Rio Ferdinand, are the ones that do a lot of charitable work.