Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

heels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm 23 and still haven't learnt to walk in heels. There I said it! :blush: I'm 5ft 2 (and a half..!) so think I'd benefit from them.

I'm looking at websites for shoes and have seen some pretty platforms but that might be a bit too much of a plunge for me.

any advice on heels to start out with?

Comments

• Options
    Start with a fairly small heeled pair, i have a lovely patent pair with just the right heel height to wear all night. Definately dont go for anything too high to start with or you'll end up putting yourself right off ever wearing them again
  • Options
    Yep true, and I have a pair of boots with an inch heel on them and theyve got padding inside which makes them quite comfy.

Anyway the only time I ever wear heels is if I'm going to a place where I know I'm not going to be dancing or walking around alot, otherwise I wear flats or very small heels... I'd rather have comfy unhurting feet thank you very much!
  • Options
    I'd like to have a crack at a small heel on a boot I think. Then by summer move onto kitten heels...then gradually increase. does this seem right?
  • Options
    Seems good to me :D
  • Options
    now to hunt down some discount codes, wish me luck!
  • Options
    2 dresses and a belt from the clearance sale. i got side tracked :o will keep an eye out for those boots!
  • Options
    that could work! i have some nasty, cheap ones in mind actually that are only good for plodding around the house in.
  • Options
    a girl should always have a range of heels in her wardrobe anyway, so why not ease yourself in gently?
  • Options
    Clem - what size are your feet?
  • Options
    i'm a 4.

i have about 2 pairs of heels.. one of which are my favourite. difficult to describe but green and peep toe. i bought them online as a 4 but they are too big for me. strange. i cant bear to chuck them out because they are too pretty. one day my feet will expaaaand :)
  • Options
    With heels, I tend to get ones with a platform so in a sense the heels aren't as high as there's not much difference between the base of the foot and the heel (if that makes sense)
    I have these in grey and they are very comfy and I usually struggle with high heels
  • Options
    I have a pair of boots with a nice wide heal on so they are nice and stable i always found them really easy to walk in, i struggled to get the hang of a pair i was given that are about 4 inches i found it really hard to walk with any grace at all. I never seem to have an occasion to wear them out and get some real practice :(
  • Options
    im thinking a wide platform too, i still find platforms so scary! but still pretty
  • Options
    platforms good
  • Options
    You are right they do take a bit of getting used but certainly feel safer than stilletoes and as you say especally now the summer is around the corner there are some very pretty platforms about i think they look great with floaty summer outfits anyway.
  • Options
    Might just be me, but I find mid size heels to be the easiest to walk in. This kind of size.

Giant heels just make me trot and totter, but kitten heels throw my balance way off and confuse my brain! I need an amount of height to be able to walk 'the heels way' :yes:
  • Options
    What you don't want, is some bloody banana eating bugger, leaving their bloody banana skins around either.
  • Options
    i used to find it hard in heels but im okay in mid heels now, but i cant walk in ones without straps. its so much easier when they have a strap across to sort of 'keep' your foot in. the only example i could find was like this they arent very nice but you get the idea :) and yes definitely walk round the house in them, try wearing a pair of socks and walking round in them to break them in a little.

my comfiest mid heels are from primark! both pairs :)
  • Options
    just practice lots and lots! i wear heels all the time, reaaaaly high ones, usually end up hurting my feet at the end of the night though.

platforms are good, as there is more balance. but yeah, start with a mid heel and get comfortable with that first. really important to make sure they fit well too otherwise they will hurt and put you off.
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    What you don't want, is some bloody banana eating bugger, leaving their bloody banana skins around either.

:D that would be a bugger of a banana

thanks for the replies- if you see any more pretty shoes then post! i'm trying to be more shoe focussed
  • Options
    I just recently learnt to walk in heels. Still wouldn't go to town in them, but working on it!

These are the ones I got. They are super comfy with a bit of platform in the body of the foot so it's comfy, and they're leather upper. I'm a sz11 so it's difficult to get shoes at times.

They're a 3 or 4in.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/FreeLoaves/?action=view&current=1001-3.jpg
    http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v414/FreeLoaves/?action=view&current=1007-2.jpg

And I have chunkier heels for dancing. I want to get some heeled boots too ...
  • Options
    i used to find it hard in heels but im okay in mid heels now, but i cant walk in ones without straps. its so much easier when they have a strap across to sort of 'keep' your foot in.

I agree entirely with this comment.

I've bought heels in the past and decided once I got home and wore them for a bit that they're not comfy. The best thing to do is to try them on in the shop and if you feel yourself stepping out of them then they're not for you.

I have a pair that are a bit like this: http://tailorstitch.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/bebe.jpg but probably not so high.

I find it difficult enough to totter about in heels without worrying about stepping out of them. Straps are the way to go! I also have a pair of knee high boots that are a bit like this: http://www.coutureinthecity.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/00440f.jpg but ones like this: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/soda-lute-knee-high-boots are much easier to walk in.
  • Options
    I'd like to have a crack at a small heel on a boot I think. Then by summer move onto kitten heels...then gradually increase. does this seem right?

I've always found kitten heels to be the easiest heels to walk in