Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Legal name change

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How much does it cost to get your first name changed, and how old do you have to be?
Xx

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Been a few threads about this. IIRC you can just start using a new name, as long as it isn't for fraudulent purposes etc, though the concensus from other threads was it's better to do it by deed poll so you have an 'official' document should you need to prove your old name in the future.
    See, I don't want to change my name... I want to change the spelling.
    On my BC, it's Neave... but no one ever spells it like that EVER. I'll check out the other threads, sorry for wasting your time :p
    Xx
    I wouldnt change your name just because nobody else spells it that way :)
    MrG wrote: »

Aye, everyone spells my name wrong.
    My birth certificate is Natalie but i am on everything else (passport, drivers license) Nathalie. no deed poll usage.
    its about £50.
    I dont know how old you have to be. Probably any age with parental consent
    No, I mean... EVERYONE (incudling me) spells it Niamh. It's always been like that since I was little, the only reason it isn't on my birth certificate like that is because my dad wanted to call me Niamh and my mum wanted to call me Ayva Grace.... So they had a massive row, and she spelt it Neave to piss him off.
    Xx
    No, I mean... EVERYONE (incudling me) spells it Niamh. It's always been like that since I was little, the only reason it isn't on my birth certificate like that is because my dad wanted to call me Niamh and my mum wanted to call me Ayva Grace.... So they had a massive row, and she spelt it Neave to piss him off.
    Xx

But thats a spelling I know is used by one of my friends, your name cant be spelt wrong, what is on your certificate IS your name. Though I do know of many people who have changed name.

I would.

It's a pain in the arse having an unusual name and constantly having to spell it for people. Hence why I sometimes call myself Sarah, rather than my actual first name.

That said, BA is going to have to spell her name to everyone regardless - not many people will know how to spell Niamh with really.

Niamh is a beautiful name though, and looks much prettier than Neave, so I would do it if I were you.
    Yea, I prefer it spelt Niamh... always have. I'll ask my dad about it :thumb: I don't dare ask my mum!
    Xx
    I have a reasonably normal name and it still gets spelt wrong.

Whats to say if someone changes their name, that it then still wont get spelt wrong again?
    I don't CARE about people spelling it wrong!!! It's just I have always been Niamh, not Neave... I hate it being Neave... Neave was who I was as a child.
    It's hard to explain... but it just has to be Niamh.
    Xx
    jamelia wrote: »
    I would.

It's a pain in the arse having an unusual name and constantly having to spell it for people. Hence why I sometimes call myself Sarah, rather than my actual first name.

That said, BA is going to have to spell her name to everyone regardless - not many people will know how to spell Niamh with really.

Niamh is a beautiful name though, and looks much prettier than Neave, so I would do it if I were you.

aw is your first name not jamelia? i love that name i always think you're lucky to have it :D hehe.

definitely agree with having a name that everyone mispronounces and having to spell out though.annoying.
    go for it. I would.
    Niamh is a much prettier spelling
    How do you pronounce it?
    You say it Neev :p
    Xx
    I got my name legally changed but i had to have my parents agree to it in court and everything and i had 2 change my name on my pass port nd everything debut card nd so on it is not that much in money sum i dont think
    Ahh, I've looked on a website... £35 :p Cool beans, Imma change it!
    Xx
    Wow I love your name just read the other threads your names awesome very cool I think and who cares about spellings everyone sspells mine in a much worst way I hate my name but I love your name.
    Do I have to get a new passport and shit if I change my name?
    Xx
    No. You would just have to change your name on everything.
    Bye take care xx.
    Not relevant, but I once pronounced the name of a kid named Niamh, like Nie-am. And then she bit me, and I still have the scar.

But with the name change, you should do it, Neave doesn't really have the same amount of class as Niamh.
    I like the number of people who cant prounounce my ex's name Siobhan.
    definitely agree with having a name that everyone mispronounces and having to spell out though.annoying.

I second this. Hardly anyone can spell my first or last name. Thankfully, I do have a normal spelt and pronnounced middle name - that didn't stop someone asking "how do you spell that?" After 21 years, I still have to correct my dad on how to spell it.:yeees:

My mum changed the spelling of her name to ensure that people said it properly - doesn't stop them though.
    I like the number of people who cant prounounce my ex's name Siobhan.
    I know a couple of them, it's easy: "see-oh-ban". ;)

I would never have got "neev" from Niamh! Is it Celtic?

I would never have got "neev" from Niamh! Is it Celtic?

Yeah Irish... http://www.babynamesofireland.com/pages/niamh-oisin.html read the stroy :p I was a goddess :lol:
    Xx
    How much does it cost to get your first name changed, and how old do you have to be?
    Xx

dont forget that if you change your name you will have to adjust your passports and other documents
    Again, this thread is months old.
    Argh! Threads like this make my blood boil!

Changing your name need cost you no more than £5.

Firstly copy and paste this, in to a Word document then changing the red bits for the relevant information.

Do NOT sign it yet.

Then pop in to your local solicitor and tell him/her you require them to 'sign a statutory declaration'. This involves you signing the document in front of him/her and them adding their signature to the document as a witness to you making the declaration.

This will cost you £5. Not £45, £35 or any of that crap.

What you now have is similar to a deed poll and is now accepted by government departments (DVLA, Customs and Revenue, Benefits Agency), banks and just about everyone else.

It's government policy for civil servants to look at you suspiciously as you tell them you're changing your name for any reason other than marriage but whether they like it or not, they have to accept it if the document is legit.

Bank workers have a similar policy of initially telling you it's not acceptable, going off to ask a supervisor then returning to tell you that you were right all along.
    Closing this now - old 'un
This discussion has been closed.